Opinion of the drop outs: Averroës Nix
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:08:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the drop outs: Averroës Nix
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is your Opinion of their Choice to Leave the Site ?
FF Choice

HP Choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Opinion of the drop outs: Averroës Nix  (Read 2868 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »

I removed the entire paragraph regarding genocide in the now infamous post since it became apparent it was directly invoking them. I don’t know why people are still bringing that bit in particular up.

Could you answer this q:  How long after the initial post before it first was reported by someone to the mods?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 07:31:07 PM »

Wait, is Averroes saying that he's oppressed for being a transphobe now? Hahaha.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »

don't pretend like you don't think him and half the forum should have been banned already.
I've stated multiple times that what I want is either for the anti-transphobia rules to be meaningfully enforces or for the staff to drop the pretense of having those rules and open the floodgates to allow people like you to say what you really mean. As it stands, the current rules are not enforced meaningfully and I don't expect them to be in the future, so I would prefer a lasseiz-faire approach to forum moderation even on controversial issues.

Keep pushing the myth that I'm your stereotypical Twitter SJW. I'm not. I don't run from my fights. I pick my battles and I bite. And I don't do well with character limits or groupthink.

Your bizarre confidence that I and everyone else aren't saying what we really mean about trans rights already is absolutely a stereotypically SJW thing.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »

Wait, is Averroes saying that he's oppressed for being a transphobe now? Hahaha.

Run along and let the adults talk before you hurt yourself.

"Adults" are the ones most responsible for the messes we're in.  "Adults" lack creativity or imagination to solve problems, they think far too much inside the box.

Do better. Averroes used to do so, when he was here.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »

I didn't really like him, but he was clearly intelligent and provided a unique perspective to the forum.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »

Run along and let the adults talk before you hurt yourself.

"Adults" are the ones most responsible for the messes we're in.  "Adults" lack creativity or imagination to solve problems, they think far too much inside the box.

Do better. Averroes used to do so, when he was here.

I already deleted it.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »

Wait, Averroes left because someone accused him of supporting genocide? I did that for like half of 2020, there HAS to be more than that, maybe some personal stuff.

Making long lists of posters who are spuriously declared guilty of wrongthink and thus complicit in genocide is widely considered fine and good now and moderators don't have any problem with it.  That's kinda new.
The mods are scared of being added to the list
AtorBoltox

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2022, 12:13:05 AM »

Can someone explain what happened?
Whatever the cause was, it's probably good he take a break from the forum. He was began to develop a seriously unwarranted sense of self-importance
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2022, 12:55:36 AM »

What, was it something I said?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2022, 01:33:50 AM »

Unfortunate.  Frequently wacky and bizarre opinions aside, his overall intelligence significantly raised the standard on this forum.

And yes, deleting a bunch of posts on the way out the door is unnecessarily petulant.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2022, 01:33:56 AM »

FF and great poster. Better than the lion's share of his critics.
A shame he deleted so many of his posts.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2022, 02:51:41 AM »

Probably lower than he deserves (nothing to do with the controversy du jour)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 05:57:24 AM »

As someone who had serious issue with his recent behavior, he was still an invaluable poster and I'm sad to see him gone.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 07:58:06 AM »

I was wondering what happened to the stock market thread.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »

He was hands down the best poster on this website, and it's incredibly sad to see him go, but I guess I don't blame him.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2022, 11:30:35 AM »

He was hands down the best poster on this website, and it's incredibly sad to see him go, but I guess I don't blame him.
I just wish he hadn't deleted all those posts on the way out. Wonder if there's a way for the mods to reverse that.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »

I just wish he hadn't deleted all those posts on the way out. Wonder if there's a way for the mods to reverse that.

Yeah, that's incredibly disappointing.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »

I mean, a lot of it could be restored if I wanted to invest a lot of time doing it, but he made that choice and in fact doing all that most likely took him a lot of time as well. I honestly don't get the point in this case, but I'm sure he has his reasons.

Averroes is a decent user as far as I am concerned and I'm sad to see him go, and I hope he returns at some point.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2022, 11:57:39 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2022, 12:01:19 PM by Virginiá »

On a related note, I'm sure people have noticed and I have been pretty open about it, but I greatly dislike when people mass-delete posts and threads like this, at least in the case where they try to mass-purge threads that contained mostly other people's posts. I do not believe the thread author has or should have unilateral control over large amounts of content like that just because they started a thread, and I dislike it when people remove content en masse from discussions that make it difficult to understand what was even being discussed. It can really screw with the history of this forum. I'm not against removing things that pose a privacy issue, but I'm hesitant to indulge requests to delete accounts or large amounts of posts "just because."

This is the reason why since I started updating the forum that users find themselves unable to delete threads larger than a couple pages, and why some boards have been archived and are frozen in place, and why posts can be recovered in many instances. I'd prefer that people look at this website as a common place where everyone contributes to discussions that come and go over time, and not just a personal online journal or something where you put up and take down content freely. You can make your own threads that serve that purpose (more or less), but when people starting interacting in those threads, it becomes something else.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2022, 12:09:11 PM »

I removed the entire paragraph regarding genocide in the now infamous post since it became apparent it was directly invoking them. I don’t know why people are still bringing that bit in particular up.

Could you answer this q:  How long after the initial post before it first was reported by someone to the mods?

About 12 hours.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

Something about a "now infamous post" about… genocide, apparently?  I have no idea either.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »

About 12 hours.

Ok.  I believe it's not the kind of post that should be allowed, but by the time I came across it 11 hours after posting, it already had 25 recommendations so I felt like the damage of the slander of various people's reputations had been done to a large degree and needed to be rebuked and rebutted rather than deleted.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2022, 12:22:01 PM »

Something about a "now infamous post" about… genocide, apparently?  I have no idea either.
It was a post that listed around 30 users(some of them based on actual posts others based on liking posts) of abetting a genocide of trans people.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »

And yes, deleting a bunch of posts on the way out the door is unnecessarily petulant.

Why?  They're his, not ours.  If he wants to scrub his name from this place then more power to him. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »

One of our best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length