Britain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Britain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Britain?  (Read 6613 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2004, 01:04:09 PM »

Does Britain have a vice-Prime Minister?  Also, how come Britain's prime minster isn't elected by the people?
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 03:24:30 PM »

The PM is appointed by the party, and people vote for a particular party, not a candidate. That was answered earlier. And no there isn't a vice-prime minister.
Justin
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 04:36:41 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2004, 04:38:55 PM by Justin »

There is no vice-prime minister. However there is a position of Deputy Prime Minister. The Deputy PM runs the government when the Prime Minister is away on state business or is temporalily unable to perform his duties. The ODPM performs other duties while the PM is in the country  The Deputy PM of Britain is John Prescott. http://www.odpm.gov.uk/
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 06:57:27 PM »

I can't believe that we know so much about the US system, but on the whole most americans know next to nothing aout nour (and the UK's) system.

It annoys me sometimes :S
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 07:10:04 PM »

Does Britain have a vice-Prime Minister?  Also, how come Britain's prime minster isn't elected by the people?

You know, you can google search many of your questions and find answers rather than posting what seem to many of us to be rather simple questions.

sorry
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »

You know, you can google search many of your questions and find answers rather than posting what seem to many of us to be rather simple questions.

sorry

Don't be sorry. You aren't making anyone answer your questions. If someone is mad at you that's thier problem
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 06:46:03 AM »

The PM is appointed by the party, and people vote for a particular party, not a candidate. That was answered earlier. And no there isn't a vice-prime minister.

Well, we have a Deputy Prime Minister which is effectively what the Vice President is really, he takes charge if the Prime Minister is unable to.

John Prescott is our current Deputy Prime Minister.

Listening to him speak is always amusing as it is generally incomprehensible, he sort of goes off on tangents and back in the space of a sentence.

The scary thing is, he was in charge of the country for 20 minutes during Blair's heart scare.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 07:31:13 AM »

Prescott's cool Grin
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 09:59:55 AM »

What are you? The forum moderator now?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 11:10:51 AM »

He’s far clever than his bluff and buffoonish exterior and possibly the most powerful member of the cabinet (just look at how his regional assembles plan has taken root) after Gordon Brown and Tony Blair.

The same can not be said of the Party Chairman McCartney who is inarticulate, not too bright, sloppy and useless he should be replaced by either Pat Hewitt or Peter Hain IMHO...he also shoulders a large portion of the blame from within the Labour Party concerning the local and Euro Elections debacle.  

Just look at him…

…and he has a horrible squeaky Scottish accent that is awful (not a  mellow deep scotch accent  like John Smith or Gordon Brown ), he’s fat with greasy hair and he can’t even string together a proper sentence let alone inspire the Labour Party’s membership and articulate the Government’s positions and don’t  even get me started on his lack of any ability at directing the party campaign’s if he leads the Labour party into the 2005/06 election they deserve to do badly. Hewitt or Hain would be far better Hewitt is better qualified but to appease the party the more leftwing Hain would probably be best… they both look the part

Hewitt

Hain

and both are articulate and capable ministers and Hewitt’s is a great party organiser and campaigner and scarily sharp and intelligent… then again “young turk” of the Blairite wing of the party who I’d love to see rise further still would be…

Oona King

…now she is the polar opposite of McCartney is her style and approach, young MPs like her (not just from the Blairite wing of the party by Brownites and Moderate “Robin Cook” Left-wingers too) could really help invigorate the government in my view the likes of Tessa Jowl, Charles Clark, Margaret Beckett, Andrew Smith and Alistair Darling should make way for the David Miliband’s, Yvette Cooper’s, Douglas Alexander’s and Ben Bradshaw’s… also I think Blunket and Straw should be considered for elevation to the Lords (though I doubt Blunket would take it) and Hain and Hewitt could perhaps be fitted in their… who knows… but the bottom line is McCartney must go if he was anything he was the worst, most clumsy and patronising attempt every to curry favour with the Labour Party Grassroots.    

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 04:07:26 PM »

Well, he certainly knows how to deal with hecklers...

(For the uninitiated, this was during the 2001 election campaign when the guy threw an egg at Prescott.)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »

(For the uninitiated, this was during the 2001 election campaign when the guy threw an egg at Prescott.)

I love that photo.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 04:43:55 PM »

I love that photo.

He is far more clever and more powerful than people like to belive.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 12:12:20 AM »

And, consider, that VP Cheney has caught so much hell from the media just for telling Leahy what to do in his spare time.

I love that photo.
Bunnybrit
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »

John Prescott dont we just love him!!!!

He once said
"The Green Belt is a Labour achievement, so we are going to build on it"!!!!!!

He also said earlier this year when standing in four Tony Blair at Prime-Minister Questions
"Random acts of voilence get you no where"
from a man who punched a voter in the face!!!!!!!!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

I can't help liking Prescott since he punched that guy in the face, even though I know rather little about him other than that... Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies