Liberty's election rankings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:41:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Liberty's election rankings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberty's election rankings  (Read 14563 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: June 28, 2004, 09:00:24 PM »

These rankings could be good, as long as politcal bias is kept out.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:15:33 PM »

I think you should always say who the loser was. You usually do, but not for all of them.

I would put 1792 pretty low as well, unlike the first election, it didn't have the uniqueness of being the first, but like it, there was a landslide.

Overall, very good, and the pace you are giving them out at is good as well.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 04:55:53 PM »

It should be. Nothing else was that close in the college and in the PV. It also had all the lawsuits.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 10:27:06 AM »

1876 had a lot in common with 2000.

Yes, except there was no huge media back in the 1800's to spend a month talking non-stop about the disputes.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 10:51:16 AM »

Yes, except there was no huge media back in the 1800's to spend a month talking non-stop about the disputes.

And no internet so Democrats could whine how it was 'stolen' for four years. Cheesy

We'd be talking about it anyway. If it weren't for the funding fought for the President (or former VP, depending how you look at it), we may have just been discovering this internet thing.  

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 12:27:07 PM »

And no internet so Democrats could whine how it was 'stolen' for four years. Cheesy

We'd be talking about it anyway. If it weren't for the funding fought for the President (or former VP, depending how you look at it), we may have just been discovering this internet thing.  

Because Gore invented the internet, right? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

He never said he invented it, he said he created it. He didn't create it, he was exaggerating/lying and I'm sure that if Blitzer had pressed the issue on him he would have clarified his statement. He DID fight during the 1980's to get the government to fund internet research. He was among the first to recognize its great potential.  
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 02:22:05 PM by Akno21 »

Because Gore invented the internet, right? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

He was among the first to recognize its great potential.  

Never mind Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the US Army, just to name a few that knew that before him.

One of the first politicians, not one of the first overall men.
Here's a whole long article devoted to the subject
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/

It's unbiased for all I can tell.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »

This is so exciting

In 9th Place: 1800
Why is the election that was as close as can be electorally and that result in our current electoral system not higher? Because for a few days our country looked like we might have Aaron Burr as our president. Can you imagine the man who killed Hamilton and commited treason as president? In other news this ws the first election to test the electoral college. The grade of the test, it needed to change the process, and so for better or worse it did.

In 8th Place: 1916
If everything fell into place the Democrats might accomplish what they hadn't for over 80 years, re-electing (consecutively) their president. With the Republican party united though, hopes seemed dim. The "He kept us out of war" slogan kept the race close, but on election night it looked like the Democrats had lost another heartbraker: A 166-165 loss to Hughes. But as the results came in from the final precincts of California the election was swung to Wilson, What an election!

In 7th Place: 1960
I expect to get a lot of "how could you put this in 7th place" type comments about this selection. My argument, there was too much voter fraud and the electoral college wasn't as close. Very interesting campaign and election anyway. The TV debates were always memorable as the deciding factor for Kennedy. In Illinois Daley pulled out all the stops he could in order to get Kennedy the win there. There were many irregularities in Texas too, but all this aside it was one heckuva election.

Down to six, only six...

I think 1800 should be higher. That election showed that Hamilton was able to put partisan politics aside for the good of the nation, a lesson I think people on both sides could use now. Plus, it was close in the EC and featured some of the founding fathers.
1976 shouldn't be in the top 6. It was Gerald Ford v. Jimmy Carter. To be a great election, there need to be good candidates.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 09:25:49 PM »

Nixon won the EV by about 100 though. It was still good.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »

Truman's huge upset.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 03:42:48 PM »

2000 has got to be No. 1. Although I agree with Liberty that Nov. 7 was one of the greatest nights ever no matter who you supported.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies