Liberty's election rankings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:32:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Liberty's election rankings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Liberty's election rankings  (Read 14535 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2004, 10:51:16 AM »

1876 had a lot in common with 2000.

Yes, except there was no huge media back in the 1800's to spend a month talking non-stop about the disputes.

And no internet so Democrats could whine how it was 'stolen' for four years. Cheesy

We'd be talking about it anyway. If it weren't for the funding fought for the President (or former VP, depending how you look at it), we may have just been discovering this internet thing.  

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2004, 11:15:03 AM »

Yes, except there was no huge media back in the 1800's to spend a month talking non-stop about the disputes.

And no internet so Democrats could whine how it was 'stolen' for four years. Cheesy

We'd be talking about it anyway. If it weren't for the funding fought for the President (or former VP, depending how you look at it), we may have just been discovering this internet thing.  

Because Gore invented the internet, right? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2004, 12:27:07 PM »

He never said he invented it, he said he created it. He didn't create it, he was exaggerating/lying and I'm sure that if Blitzer had pressed the issue on him he would have clarified his statement. He DID fight during the 1980's to get the government to fund internet research. He was among the first to recognize its great potential.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2004, 12:28:53 PM »

He was among the first to recognize its great potential.  

Never mind Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the US Army, just to name a few that knew that before him.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 02:22:05 PM by Akno21 »

He was among the first to recognize its great potential.  

Never mind Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the US Army, just to name a few that knew that before him.

One of the first politicians, not one of the first overall men.
Here's a whole long article devoted to the subject
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/

It's unbiased for all I can tell.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2004, 04:31:12 PM »

I apologize for the numbering error in reply 42, it is fixed now. And now, the post where we break the top ten! This is where it really starts to get hard since all nine that are now left are all good

In 12th Place: 1860
Another thread on this board discusses what was the most impactful election. I don't know how it can not be this one, no other election has caused a civil war for crying out loud! It was a four way race technically, but in reality two two-way races: Lincoln vs. Douglas in the north and Breckinridge vs. Bell in the south. This election set a pattern for nearly every election until the FDR era: north for the Republicans and south for the Democrats. Unrelated note: I once did a report for school on this election

In 11th Place: 1796
The first change of presidential power and the first real race for president happened in this election. A really tight race between Jefferson and Adams this one was. When Adams won 71-68 Dem-Reps sneered "President by three votes" (four years later the Federalists would counter "President by no votes"). It also produced the only time the executive twosome were from different parties (with perhaps 1864 as an exception). I wish I could put this higher, but the remaining ten are too good!

In 10th Place: 1888
Notable as one of the four elections where the winner did not get a plurality of the popular votes, but let's face it, it was the least interesting of the four. The reason for this was Cleveland's margins in the southern states were huge. What dramatic irony is was that New York, which had proved decisive in the last election would again prove decisive here except this time in the opponents favor. To everyone's immense relief Harrison made it through the first month of his administration without suffering the fate of his grandfather.

Now all we have left are 1800, 1824, 1876, 1916, 1948, 1960, 1968, 1976, and 2000

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2004, 07:21:25 PM »

To everyone's immense relief Harrison made it through the first month of his administration without suffering the fate of his grandfather.

Loved this line! Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2004, 07:24:13 PM »

To everyone's immense relief Harrison made it through the first month of his administration without suffering the fate of his grandfather.

Loved this line! Smiley

I never put two and two together on that one! I feel like a dolt now! Cheesy
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2004, 12:47:59 AM »

1912 should win.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2004, 02:09:41 AM »

Now all we have left are 1800, 1824, 1876, 1916, 1948, 1960, 1968, 1976, and 2000
I say he picks 1824 since it led to the almost universal adoption of popular election of electors.  1800 might get a nod because it resulted in a constitutional amendment, but it is pretty quirky to have a tie between members of the same party to lead to such controversy.  1916, 1948, 1960, and 1976 will be the next out.  1916 is interesting because the EV map looks like that for 2000.
1968 gets 5th, 1876 and 2000 a tie for 3rd.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2004, 05:53:52 PM »

This is so exciting

In 9th Place: 1800
Why is the election that was as close as can be electorally and that result in our current electoral system not higher? Because for a few days our country looked like we might have Aaron Burr as our president. Can you imagine the man who killed Hamilton and commited treason as president? In other news this ws the first election to test the electoral college. The grade of the test, it needed to change the process, and so for better or worse it did.

In 8th Place: 1916
If everything fell into place the Democrats might accomplish what they hadn't for over 80 years, re-electing (consecutively) their president. With the Republican party united though, hopes seemed dim. The "He kept us out of war" slogan kept the race close, but on election night it looked like the Democrats had lost another heartbraker: A 166-165 loss to Hughes. But as the results came in from the final precincts of California the election was swung to Wilson, What an election!

In 7th Place: 1960
I expect to get a lot of "how could you put this in 7th place" type comments about this selection. My argument, there was too much voter fraud and the electoral college wasn't as close. Very interesting campaign and election anyway. The TV debates were always memorable as the deciding factor for Kennedy. In Illinois Daley pulled out all the stops he could in order to get Kennedy the win there. There were many irregularities in Texas too, but all this aside it was one heckuva election.

Down to six, only six...
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2004, 11:03:18 PM »

Loved this line! Smiley

I toured the Harrison homestead in VA in May. They comment that whereas the first Pres. Harrison gave the longest inaugural speech and contracted pneumonia, the second Pres. Harrison intentionally gave the shortest Inaugural address. No way would he suffer his grandfather's fate.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2004, 01:11:57 PM »

Loved this line! Smiley

I toured the Harrison homestead in VA in May. They comment that whereas the first Pres. Harrison gave the longest inaugural speech and contracted pneumonia, the second Pres. Harrison intentionally gave the shortest Inaugural address. No way would he suffer his grandfather's fate.

Ben Harrison gave a short address, but Washington's second inauguralw as the shortest, being only 135 words and lasting only 3 minutes and 50 seconds!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »

This is so exciting

In 9th Place: 1800
Why is the election that was as close as can be electorally and that result in our current electoral system not higher? Because for a few days our country looked like we might have Aaron Burr as our president. Can you imagine the man who killed Hamilton and commited treason as president? In other news this ws the first election to test the electoral college. The grade of the test, it needed to change the process, and so for better or worse it did.

In 8th Place: 1916
If everything fell into place the Democrats might accomplish what they hadn't for over 80 years, re-electing (consecutively) their president. With the Republican party united though, hopes seemed dim. The "He kept us out of war" slogan kept the race close, but on election night it looked like the Democrats had lost another heartbraker: A 166-165 loss to Hughes. But as the results came in from the final precincts of California the election was swung to Wilson, What an election!

In 7th Place: 1960
I expect to get a lot of "how could you put this in 7th place" type comments about this selection. My argument, there was too much voter fraud and the electoral college wasn't as close. Very interesting campaign and election anyway. The TV debates were always memorable as the deciding factor for Kennedy. In Illinois Daley pulled out all the stops he could in order to get Kennedy the win there. There were many irregularities in Texas too, but all this aside it was one heckuva election.

Down to six, only six...

I think 1800 should be higher. That election showed that Hamilton was able to put partisan politics aside for the good of the nation, a lesson I think people on both sides could use now. Plus, it was close in the EC and featured some of the founding fathers.
1976 shouldn't be in the top 6. It was Gerald Ford v. Jimmy Carter. To be a great election, there need to be good candidates.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2004, 02:36:16 PM »

Doggone it's getting hard for me to decide, too many great elections. I know whatever elections I post here lots of people will contend the one of them should be number one, but that's how rankings go.

In 6th Place: 1824
Impactful yes, but we must remember that impact is only a part of the rankings. We must also look at how exciting the election was at the time. Prior to the electoral voting it was an above average. After the electoral votes were counted it became a classic. Henry Clay's "corrupt bargain" would set up the next election for Andrew Jackson. It pains me to put this only at six, if the other five only weren't so great...

In 5th Place: 1976
On the left a longshot southern governor emerges from a crowded field while on the right the incumbent barely survives a brutal challenge from Ronald Reagan. The two fascinating primaries set up one of the closest challenges of the 20th century. An entertaining seesawing general election it was, with the result hinging on super close states like Ohio. Great election in my opinion even though others think it ought not be ranked this high

gotta go now more later, sorry I couldn't do #4
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2004, 02:50:02 PM »

Don't forget Carter's "Playboy" interview and Ford's "No Soviet domination in Eastern Europe" gaffe. Waht an election in 1976!
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2004, 06:58:05 PM »

Totally forgot about "no soviet domination in Poland"! It would still probably be in 5th though

In 4th Place: 1876
I know I know, this election produced the biggest amount of drama ever with the possible exception of 2000 but realisticly this election was so corrupt that I can't really place it any higher. If it weren't for the plainly obvious corruption (on both sides but more notably the Republican) this would definately be in first. The Democrats virtually had the election won but botched it - twice! The electoral vote couldn't have been any closer and tensions were running so high that there was some talk of a second civil war. To prevent such a frightening prospect from happening a 15 man commission was made that gave the election to Hayes by what else then a one vote margin.

In 3rd Place: 1968
The Democrats convention that year was almost without a doubt the most drama filled nomination of all time. The Kennedy assasination, the Johnson drop-out, the unruly protesters and police of Chicago... Meanwhile Nixon aspired to be the first former loser to win since Grover Cleveland (Or W.H. Harrison if you prefer not to count Cleveland). Fierce battle on the political front while another battle raged on thousands of miles away in Vietnam. The popular vote was close, Nixon had just managed to edge out Humphrey but had far less than 50% due to the canidacy of Wallace.  
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2004, 09:25:49 PM »

Nixon won the EV by about 100 though. It was still good.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2004, 11:48:41 AM »

What's left apart from 2000?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2004, 11:50:58 AM »

In 39th Place: 1792
Unique for being one of two unanimous elections (along with 1789). It also featured the first political race for an executive office: Adams versus Clinton for the office of VP (Adams won 77-50). It didn't have the newness of 1789, but it was still exciting any time the country got a chance to elect 'Father of our Country' Washington president.
Only election in which an elector voted for two persons from the same State.  The 4 Kentucky electors voted for George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, both of Virginia.  Even under the terms of the 12th Amendment, the constitutional impediment is for an elector casting both his votes for someone from the elector's State.  Maybe the newly admitted Kentuckians wanted to emphasize that they were no longer part of Virginia.
While in 1789, Georgia's electors misinterpreted the Constitution and believed that they were two vote for two people exactly one of which was not to be from Georgia.
Now, if that were the rule, presidential history would look a good bit different...
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2004, 02:30:10 PM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »

What in the world is so interesting about 1948?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »

Truman's huge upset.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2004, 03:05:32 PM »

True, they did count him out..
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2004, 03:09:12 PM »

Don't forget Thurmond's insurgents candidacy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies