2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:51:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18  (Read 14305 times)
Logical

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »

The Germans might as well boycott the Cup if they're going to play like that lol. So little desire and not much teamwork in the squad.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2022, 11:35:42 AM »

The German team should have just departed and spare themselves that ignominy, including their token gesture that already serves as a meme template on social media... 😒

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2022, 01:01:18 PM »

Costa Rica just got demolished by Spain: 7-0.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2022, 02:24:24 PM »

American commentary calls England vs. USA "the big one". 🤦‍♀️
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »

Well, given we're not going to advance out the group if we don't pick up a point against England, I can kind of see the argument.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2022, 02:30:53 PM »

How ridiculous! Everyone knows the big one is Canada v Belgium 😎
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »

What's the German word for "schadenfreude"?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2022, 03:01:29 PM »

Canada genuinely played like the better team in the first half, but our finishing is just not there  Cry Still very impressed by the energy and enthusiasm the boys are showing, they're playing as confidently as they did in CONCACAF. Belgium's not out of the woods yet, let's get at least a point out of this!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2022, 03:16:42 PM »

Frustrating.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »

Belgium vs Canada

If the game didn't tie, we know that the winner will be a country that partially speaks French
laddicus finch

« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2022, 03:31:42 PM »

Belgium vs Canada

If the game didn't tie, we know that the winner will be a country that partially speaks French

Country that speaks French vs Country that pretends to speak French Cheesy
laddicus finch

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »

Genuinely the most frustrating match I've ever watched, because Canada played much better than I thought we would...we just couldn't score a damn goal!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2022, 04:09:39 PM »

Lmao.

Although I didn't want to watch it, we did have an event at the office and since most employees did participate (including my boss, who's usually not a huge soccer fan) so I joined as well. Germany actually dominated the game for most of the time, including many missed chances. Towards the end, however, the German effort totally collapsed. I think we're already on our way out. Spain - which is the next match on Sunday - is a much tougher one than Japan.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2022, 04:54:24 PM »

I'm angry and furious.

First of all, congratulations to Canada for such a great match.

our analists say you should have gotten 2 penalties more. the referee didn't do his job. It is the same referee who rigged Ghana vs South Africa. We should also have gotten a red card, however one of the canadian players also should've gotten red and only got yellow.

What we did was a bad match, embarrassing, a lot of things didn't work. We played too horizontally, instead of vertically, despite having one more player in the midfield. The midfielders didn't even ask for the ball. Our assist was a from a defender who gave the ball to the striker, who made the goal. Also, very static play. Extremely weird.

Our newspaper:

Devils below their level, survive Canadian storm and open world cup with a victory!

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »

our analists say you should have gotten 2 penalties more. the referee didn't do his job. It is the same referee who rigged Ghana vs South Africa. We should also have gotten a red card, however one of the canadian players also should've gotten red and only got yellow.

What we did was a bad match, embarrassing, a lot of things didn't work. We played too horizontally, instead of vertically, despite having one more player in the midfield. The midfielders didn't even ask for the ball. Our assist was a from a defender who gave the ball to the striker, who made the goal. Also, very static play. Extremely weird.

Canada should've been given at least one more penalty, yeah. Honestly, the two teams played as if they were wearing the wrong shirt - Canada had far better passing and pressing, while Belgium were under pressure and hoofing balls over the top. Tactically, as you said, Canada took the Belgium midfield out of most of the game, and forced them into sideways passing and long balls, one of which they were lucky enough to convert.

Alphonso Davies on the ball though - wow. Whenever he makes a run, I'm reminded of him ending Nelson Semedo's Barcelona career a couple years ago.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2022, 06:45:34 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2022, 06:54:12 PM by Laki »

I hope from the deepest of my heart Canada wins from Morocco and Croatia. And I hope we do the same thing. Feels just so unjust towards Canada, and I hope we can show once again who we really are.

I've told my mom before the match that Canada is underestimated, named all pain points before the match, and i said: believe me if i say this. This is going to be our most difficult match, even in the event we become world champions, this is the toughest game.

The thing is it felt like a M9.0 earthquake and that it turns out everyone did survive, like there's a lot of work, not just physically but also mentally, because despite the win we're even way more uncertain than ever before, and not confident.

The win itself was a steal. Canada could've won if they were more efficient. Alderweireld (our defender) did an amazing long pass, something he has proven he can do. Our goalkeeper Courtois kept us in the game. I saw a very good Onana as defensive midfielder who came in the second half.

De Bruyne today was also horrible, absolutely horrible, so i hope that he'll get better because we will need him.

Also Canada needs some mental fixing, but they've shown they can win. Davies will need most fixing since he might not be confident after missing the penalty. I hope he'll get back and that Canada can show something the next 2 games.

It's a good thing Croatia drawed, but Canada needs to at least have a draw against Croatia or the tournament is over for them. Croatia was second last time, but I think Canada can draw or even defeat them next time. Croatia also share some weaknesses we had, and the strength of Croatia is also their midfield. The weakness is also their wings which they can exploit with speed.

Canada was the best North American team i've seen so far. USA i would rate above Mexico though. Mexico was not impressive, even if the will was there and if Poland is an incredible annoying team to play against. Next match they basically have to not lose against Argentina at the very least, otherwise chances will be very small.

USA might be able to do something against England and Iran. Even if they lose against England, i still believe they would be in the game. Goal difference might matter for them (if they both win against iran and both lose to England).
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »

Genuinely the most frustrating match I've ever watched, because Canada played much better than I thought we would...we just couldn't score a damn goal!

Our analists admitted that as a Canadian fan, this would have to be frustrating. It was also frustrating for me, yes. I felt like we stole this one. Sorry. I will do everything to mentally support the Canadians in their following matches, i promise that.

Usually, i'm used to being on the other side. This is some situation i've rarely been in. 2002 against Brazil for example, was also like that where Brazil stole it (with a bad referree). This was it in reverse (even if the referee wasn't as bad as back than, but they still didn't give a penalty that should have been one, and possibly/arguably 2 more). Our analists said Canada should have had 3 penalties, not 1.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2022, 07:01:24 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2022, 07:04:39 PM by Laki »

The Germans might as well boycott the Cup if they're going to play like that lol. So little desire and not much teamwork in the squad.

Germans are in trouble, because if they lose against Spain and Japan doesn't lose to Costa Rica (win or draw), they're out. Even if Germany draws with Spain and Japan wins, they are still out unless Spain loses against Japan in the third match as well, but Japan in that case would be qualified and can give rest to some players to prepare for the following match (however first place or second place in that group would / could matter), while the goal difference of Spain would ensure that a miracle in that case already needs to happen.

Even if Germany wins from Spain, goal difference would still be an issue since Spain has won 7-0 against Costa Rica, but they could still overtake Japan (or Spain if Spain loses against both Germany and Japan or draw against the latter).

Spain can basically already eliminate Germany next round with just a draw (if Japan does what it needs to do). So for Germany, there's a lot up for stakes.

The last match against Costa Rica which they probably easily win would in that case not even matter anymore and be just there for statistics.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2022, 09:22:12 PM »

What's "Schadenfreude" in English?

😉
laddicus finch

« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2022, 12:51:14 AM »

FIFA opens investigation into allegedly homophobic chants by Mexico fans

Look, there should be no place for homophobia, if such chants were made. But if FIFA takes disciplinary action against Mexico, justified or not, FIFA has no moral high ground to claim on these matters
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2022, 06:45:17 AM »

Lol
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »

Of all places in the world, there are literally a dozen Koreans crowded around the TV watching the World Cup at the Senator Lounge at Munich airport.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

Portugal was its usual: A disappointing showing but enough to scrape by and win.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »

FIFA opens investigation into allegedly homophobic chants by Mexico fans

Look, there should be no place for homophobia, if such chants were made. But if FIFA takes disciplinary action against Mexico, justified or not, FIFA has no moral high ground to claim on these matters

But FIFA accepted the World Cup in Qatar, a country that doesn't allow the rainbow flag.

It's like punishing flatulence and accepting defecation.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »

The first game of the Brazilian national team in the history of the World Cups was
Yugoslavia 2 Brazil 1 in 1930
Brazil played against Yugoslavia in World Cup many times and there was never an easy game against them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies