Does the Northwest/Pacific Northwest have a larger Far-Right population than other regions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Does the Northwest/Pacific Northwest have a larger Far-Right population than other regions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does the Northwest/Pacific Northwest have a larger Far-Right population than other regions?  (Read 645 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:25:16 AM »
« edited: June 14, 2022, 07:29:05 AM by LabourJersey »

The recent Patriot Front arrests in Coeur d'Alene has been making me think. I've noticed that there seems to be a pattern of Northwest states (and I'm using that term a little broadly) having issues with far-right groups, and it seems disproportionate to the rest of the nation.

Eastern Oregon and Washington State have their far share of far-right groups. As does the northernmost counties of California (IIRC The "State of Jefferson" is a coded rallying cry for them?). Politicians like Matt Shea get elected.

Is this a purely selective portrayal of the state, or does the Northwest have an issue with far-right groups?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 07:42:45 AM »

The West has always been the most ideological region of the country. 
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 10:31:46 AM »

White nationalist and libertarian groups have long sought out the Northwest for its geographic remoteness (harder for the government to uproot activists), its wide open spaces (appealing to those who want to live off the land without any government regulations), and its relative homogeneity.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »

The West has always been the most ideological region of the country. 

Never really thought of the West like this, but you might have a point there
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »

I have no data on this at all, but, when I was involved in conservative student organizations, it often seemed like the "problematic" people I'd run into at conferences were from the Northwest.  Like, an actual white supremacist was the chair of the Washington State University College Republicans when I was in college.  I have no idea why that would be the case, though.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 09:23:06 PM »

I think the fact that the Northwest was really the last area to develop in the US plays a role. Throughout US history, folks would mvoe outwest to create their own communities and a culture that they felt better suited them, as well as rise of new industries and innovation, so as a result a lot of these states have hyper-liberal cities like Portland and Seattle and stereotypical racist rural communities. There definately is a lot of tension between many of these communities which is only getting worse, especially since these rural areas are in the minority politically in OR, CA, and WA.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 05:42:58 AM »

White nationalist and libertarian groups have long sought out the Northwest for its geographic remoteness (harder for the government to uproot activists), its wide open spaces (appealing to those who want to live off the land without any government regulations), and its relative homogeneity.
White supremacists also like western Canada.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies