Jackson County, NC: 86% White, 10% American Indian

Robeson County, NC: 33% White, 25% African American, 38% American Indian

Surry County, NC: 66% White, 29% American Indian

The racial breakdown of registered voters is

Hoke County: 49% White, 38% Black, 8% American Indian
Jackson County: 91% White, 5% American Indian
Robeson County: 36% White, 28% Black, 36% American Indian
Swain County: 82% White, 15% American Indian

So far, we find that despite a 5 percentage point advantage in the Census, there are still more registered white voters in Robeson County.

As well, The American Indian population in Swain County is 3765 and the number of registered American Indian voters is 1456.

Another huge drop can be seen in Jackson County.

As well, the turnout differences are pretty obvious in various counties in South Dakota.

Just for random stats sake, here's the breakdown of NC registration numbers by race

Total: 46D, 35R, 20I
White: 43R, 35D, 22I
Black: 85D, 4R, 11I
Am. Indian: 72D, 13R, 15I
Asian: 43I, 33D, 20R
Other: 39D, 36I, 25R

jimrtex:
You ought to use the 18+ population, and also adjust for the difference in age profiles.  It appears that in the Cherokee/mountain counties of Swain and Jackson have some retirement populations resulting in more Whites in their 50s and 60s.  In the Lumbee counties of Robeson and Hoke there may be more ambiguity with respect to race.  3.2% of the 18+ population in Hoke has a race other than White, Black, Asian, AIAN, or HPI.  Hoke might have some overspill from Pope AFB and Ft.Bragg, military families with short residency, who might be registered elsewhere.

minionofmidas:
Quote from: jimrtex on December 07, 2006, 11:03:50 PM

Hoke might have some overspill from Pope AFB and Ft.Bragg, military families with short residency, who might be registered elsewhere.

But these wouldn't be primarily Indian...

Navigation

[0] Message Index