The People's President: Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:50:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The People's President: Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The People's President: Timeline  (Read 1834 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2022, 04:51:07 PM »

Coming Soon...

Spoiler: Ralph Jenkins 283-George Bush 254
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 06:29:12 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2022, 06:47:14 PM by LeonelBrizola »

March 15, 1987
GOVERNOR OF OHIO ANNOUNCES PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN

Ralph Jenkins, the Governor of Ohio has announced his candidacy for President of the United States with a rally in his native Toledo.

During the rally, attended by 4,983 people, Jenkins gave a 59 minute speech, focused on themes of populism and the promise to move beyond the Iran-Contra and Watergate scandals.

Excerpt from the speech

"As President of the United States, I will make government serve the people, not the other way around. We will overturn Reaganomics, restore New Deal-era programs to help our struggling farmers, reform healthcare, and protect unions. My Administration will move beyond the scandals of the last 15 years into an era of peace and prosperity for all Americans!"

A recent national primary poll has Jenkins in third place behind Senator for Colorado Gary Hart and Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »

(My focus on the area of politics is imaginary politicians, especially those with my political beliefs. Reddit hates me for that)

March 16, 1987
Who is Ralph Jenkins?

Ralph Leslie Jenkins Jr. was born on June 10 1938 to Ralph Leslie Jenkins Sr. and Joan Edwards, poor blue-collar workers. Jenkins grew up in humble circumstances, with his father dying in World War II and mother dying in an automobile accident. He was subsequently raised by his maternal uncles. Jenkins began to study law at age 17, graduating from the University of Ohio in 1959 with a degree.

He began to represent the Teamsters union, developing a distant friendship with Jimmy Hoffa. In 1961, Jenkins was arrested for drunk driving, later becoming a teetotaler.

The young lawyer was drafted by the Marine Corps in 1964, being deployed to Vietnam one year later. He was nearly captured at one point, but managed to successfully resist the Vietcong. After relentlessly battling communists, Jenkins was sent back to the continental United States in 1969.

Jenkins decided to enter politics, becoming an alderman one year later. In the city council, Jenkins became known for his advocacy for the working class, providing funds for the construction of schools, factories and roads.

In 1974, he was narrowly elected Mayor of Toledo. As mayor, Ralph Jenkins made waste segregation mandatory, paved all remaining dirt roads in the city, constructed dozens of schools, kindergartens, houses and health clinics, and declared Toledo "pro-life". He was easily reelected four years later, and built a shopping mall and two gas stations.

Jenkins set his eyes on state government. In 1982, the Mayor ran for Governor of Ohio, and was reelected in a blue wave year. His governorship was marked by paid family leave, a tax credit for companies keeping jobs in Ohio, the construction of trade schools, restrictions on abortion, mandatory health coverage for children, public workers, and a raise in the state minimum wage. During his second term, the Governor implemented free preschool on demand, grants for homeless shelters, and free school textbooks.

Jenkins is married to Letty Jenkins since 1963, and has three children.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 03:56:40 PM »

March 20, 1987
Ralph Jenkins campaign releases platform; focuses on farm crisis, the national debt

The presidential campaign team of Governor of Ohio Ralph Jenkins has released his campaign platform. Defending themes of left-wing populism and protectionism, its main issues are the farm crisis and federal budget deficit.

Ralph Jenkins Campaign Platform

1. National Debt
The national debt is the greatest threat to the United States, even greater than Russia.

One cannot claim to worry about the national debt while supporting the economic policies which have greatly increased our federal budget. Therefore, the Jenkins Administration will repeal Ronald Reagan's tax cuts for high-earners, and close corporate tax loopholes. Furthermore, duplicate government programs (we have nine in the Department of Education) will be eliminated.

2. Farm Crisis
The rural and small-town Americans the Republicans claim to stand for have struggled throughout the decade. When the Reagan Administration raised interest rates and implemented a hard money policy, our farmers began to struggle. The Jenkins Administration, on the other hand, will set a policy of aggressive government intervention, restoring some New Deal-era farm programs and decreasing interest rates. The farm credit is also going to be expanded.

3. Healthcare
Millions of Americans are uninsured and millions more are underinsured. Our healthcare system lags behind that of our allies, and people cannot even afford an ambulance ride after traffic accidents. We seriously need healthcare reform in this country.

The Jenkins Administration will expand Medicaid, create a $35,000 tax credit for healthcare costs, a reinsurance pool for employers, provide full Medicare coverage for uninsured children, extend sick leave, tighten price controls on prescription drugs, and add a prescription drug benefit into Medicare. Our healthcare system has vastly untapped potential.

4. Education

The Department of Education does not get enough funding, while we spent billions on the military.

A Jenkins Administration will boost funding for the Department of Education and double pay for public school teachers across the board. Also, we will focus on trade schools and provide vocational training to high schoolers, to reduce the inflow of jobs. Every American child deserves a strong, functional school to attend.

5. Foreign Trade

Throughout the 1980s, our trade deficit has vastly increased, especially to Asian countries. Countries such as Japan and South Korea are becoming increasingly richer, often at the expense of American workers. The Reagan Administration has done too much to expand foreign trade without protecting American workers from the consequences.

The Jenkins Administration will raise tariffs on Japanese, European and South Korean automobiles and Japanese steel. Companies which keep jobs in the country will receive favorable tax treatment, while Buy American legislation is going to be passed, and a 10% tax imposed on outsourcing. The jobs are coming back.

6. Trade Unions

Unions in the United States have been undermined by the Taft-Hartley Act, outsourcing and "right-to-work" laws. A Jenkins Administration is going to defend American workers instead of solely the rich and wealthy.

We are going to repeal Taft-Hartley, provide collective bargaining rights to employees of the public sector, and weaken state right-to-work laws.

7. Crime

In spite of the federal government's "toughness", crime rates are still high. A different approach is needed.

The Jenkins Administration will focus on rehabilitation for minor crimes, such as drug possession, and leave capital punishment up to the states.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »

March 20th, 1987
Ralph Jenkins addresses primary opponents

Governor of Ohio Ralph Jenkins focused a speech during a rally in Dover, New Hampshire on his opponents in the Democratic primaries. He began by talking about Michael Dukakis.

"I respect Dukakis due to the economic miracle seen under his watch. His middle-class background is also admirable. He's a smart, engaging guy, whom I might name to a Cabinet post when I win this election"

Later, the Governor talked about frontrunner Gary Hart.

"Hart, the frontrunner, doesn't deserve this status. He changed his surname and frequently lied about his birthdate. Gary also has vague ideas - platitudes about newness and youth, little actual policies. No wonder Mondale said "Where's the beef?" but he is preferable to Reagan and Bush."

Jenkins ended his speech by bringing up civil rights activist Jesse Jackson.

"Jesse Jackson was a good fighter before he got bought by the abortion industry. His fight against segregation is admirable. Many of his proposals are too utopian, however. And antisemitic remarks are wholly condemnable."
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 11:43:37 AM »

March 23, 1987
Ralph Jenkins names national campaign co-chairs

Governor of Ohio Ralph Jenkins has chosen the co-chairs of his presidential campaign.

Jenkins chose Governor of Pennsylvania Bob Casey, who is frequently compared to him due to their populist stances on economics mixed with conservatism on social issues.

"I am proud to serve as a co-chair of the Jenkins campaign. Jenkins is a true fighter for the American worker, and stands for human life from conception to natural death"

The Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania will serve as acting governor.

Another co-chair is Representative Douglas Applegate, who like Jenkins, represents the state of Ohio.

"Jenkins is a man of the people who has served the Buckeye State well'
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »

I might abandon this timeline early, or skip to when things get interesting
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 04:13:28 PM »

If Bob Casey is a campaign co-chairman, he is not required to take a leave of absence as Governor of PA.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »

Thanks, but I ran out of ideas.
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »

I doubt he'd do so well in the South
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 07:25:43 PM »

Might continue this
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:26 PM »

I regret abandoning this
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 04:23:57 AM »

Continuing the timeline...

Ralph Jenkins announces healthcare plan
April 25, 1987

Governor of Ohio and presidential hopeful Ralph Jenkins, a populist Democrat, has elaborated his healthcare policy during a speech in Dubuque, Iowa.

Jenkins promised a $35,000 tax credit to extend health coverage further, a reinsurance pool for employers, full Medicare coverage for eligible children, greater price controls on prescription drugs, protections for people with preexisting conditions, abolishing premiums, adding a prescription drug benefit to Medicare, extending sick leave, increasing pay for nurses and hospital staff, expanding Medicaid, and to work with the private sector to create 5,000,000 new private health insurance plans.

"Unfortunately, millions of Americans do not have access to healthcare, and many who do receive poor quality care. I oppose a single-payer healthcare system, however. The government needs to work with the private sector, not against it. My Administration will massively expand healthcare in this country. We'll implement a thirty-five thousand dollar tax credit to extend coverage further, full Medicare coverage for eligible children, a reinsurance pool for employers, protections for these with preexisting conditions, abolish premiums, add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare, extend sick leave to a maximum of three months, double pay for nurses and hospital staff across the board, expand Medicaid to cover all low-income people, and work together with private health insurers to create five million new private health insurance plans. Millions of uninsured Americans will gain access to healthcare under our Administration"

Pundits have praised most of these proposals, except the one about creating private insurance plans.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 05:53:19 AM »

Ralph Jenkins gives major speech on farm crisis
May 10, 1987

Governor of Ohio and presidential candidate Ralph Jenkins has just given a long speech in Mitchell, South Dakota about the crisis in the United States' agricultural sector.

In the speech, Jenkins blamed the Reagan Administration's "elitist" policies for the farm crisis, while promising aggressive intervention from the federal government, with cuts to interest rates, an increase in farm subsidies, the expansion of farm credit, and the restoration of some New Deal-era farm programs.

"This farm crisis has been caused by the elitist policies of Reagan and Bush, which are massively damaging average Americans like YOU. We could have stabilized this situation much earlier with aggressive intervention from the federal government. This will be my Administration's policy in regards to farmers. We are going to lower interest rates, increase farm subsidies, expand agricultural credit, and restore some New Deal-era agricultural programs which were very helpful to people like you. A Jenkins Administration will 100% stand for the working people"

The speech has gotten an euphoric reaction in the Midwest.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 07:09:14 AM »

Ralph Jenkins releases plan for education
June 3, 1987

Governor of Ohio and presidential candidate Ralph Jenkins, who has experienced a surge in the polls after Gary Hart suspended his campaign, has announced his plan for education reform.

Jenkins said his Administration will increase teachers' wages, and funding for the Department of Education, while making trade schools tuition-free and funded by the federal government, increasing funding for childcare, and defending teachers' unions; the Governor also opposes mandatory school prayer.

"As Governor of Ohio, I doubled pay for public school teachers across the board, while increasing funding for pre-K and making secondary education publicly funded; we also defended teachers' unions, and focused on trade schools, essential for a Midwestern state. A Jenkins presidency will do pretty much the same. We are going to focus on higher pay for teachers and funding for the Department of Education, while making trade schools tuition-free – we'll pay for it by scaling back Reagan's tax cuts for the wealthy, and reducing military spending. Childcare is going to see increased funding, and the right of teachers to unionize is also going to be defended. Furthermore, I oppose mandatory school prayer. Although I am a Catholic, religion should be kept out of public schools"
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »

No offense, maybe you better stick to one TL at a time? I would recommend to take Prez Johnson or OSR's, just to name 2, as examples for the writing format. Just my personal opinion.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 08:47:18 AM »

I should, but I found the Jerry Litton TL boring (although he is an extremely interesting figure). And the amount of detail is limited by the fact I am writing from a smartphone.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »

Ralph Jenkins, Joe Biden form "non-aggression pact"
July 9, 1987

Today, Democratic presidential candidates Ralph Jenkins and Joe Biden have held a joint press conference in Pittsburgh where they announced the formation of an electoral "non -aggression pact" between the two's campaigns.

When asked by a reporter about what that meant, Jenkins (who came up with the idea) said:

"It's pretty obvious: our two campaigns will not attack eachother in any way, be it speeches or TV ads. Joe and I share many beliefs, and both of us stand for the American worker and middle-class citizen"

Biden also praised Jenkins for his honesty and record as Governor of Ohio.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 10:30:08 AM »

Throughout July 1987, Jenkins focused on the Iowa Caucus and South Dakota primary, holding seven rallies and five town halls in total.

Ralph Jenkins begins ad campaign
August 10, 1987

The presidential campaign of populist Democrat and Governor of Ohio Ralph Jenkins has produced two television ads, which are being broadcasted in Iowa, New Hampshire, Minnesota and South Dakota.

The first ad, named "Record" shows several graphs and statements from respected economists about Ralph Jenkins' policies and the economic growth experienced by Ohio in the 1980s. It ends with Jenkins himself making a straightforward plea to the Democratic voter.

The second ad, named "Policies" begins by showing images of the farm crisis and oil crash and statistics about the national debt, later listing Ralph Jenkins' platform and how it will be "helpful" to America.

The latter ad has been criticized as overly generic
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2022, 03:02:32 PM by LeonelBrizola »

Ralph Jenkins releases crime policy during speech
September 24, 1987

Governor of Ohio and presidential candidate Ralph Jenkins has just given a major speech in Manchester, New Hampshire about his Administration's crime policy; one day after Senator Joe Biden, known for his stances on law and order, suspended his presidential campaign.

Jenkins said his Administration would leave the death penalty up to the states, implement mandatory rehabilitation for drug convicts, provide grants to city police departments, increase penalties for white-collar criminals, ban prison labor by removing the 13th Amendment's exception, target drug smugglers, growers and dealers, and ban "cop killer" bullets while closing the gun show loophole.

"In spite of the Reagan Administration's "tough" approach to crime, it continues to rise. Thanks in part to his unfair economic policies, many poor Americans resort to criminality due to a lack of opportunity. This will change under a Jenkins Administration. I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but states have the right to choose whether or not to implement it, due to being a 10th Amendment right. I support the Second Amendment, but gun laws should be a bit stricter – we are going to ban "cop killer" bullets and require mandatory background checks at gun shows. As to drugs, I strongly oppose narcotics, but arresting people for possessing them goes too far. Instead, I will implement mandatory rehabilitation for drug criminals instead of punishment, and focus on targeting drug smugglers, growers and dealers instead, while working with foreign governments to achieve this goal. Plus, our police is somewhat underfunded, so the Jenkins Administration will provide grants to city police departments, to make them more effective. And last, but not least, we are going to close the 13rd Amendment's loophole allowing prison labor – the purpose of prisons is to reeducate, not enslave criminals. I am the law and order candidate in this election"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »

Gallup poll for the 1988 Democratic primaries
October 1, 1987

Michael Dukakis 33%
Ralph Jenkins 30%
Jesse Jackson 18%
Al Gore 12%
Dick Gephardt 2%
Bruce Babbitt 2%
Undecided 2%
Other 1%
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 03:03:49 PM »

A Democratic presidential primary debate was held on November 25, 1987. Ralph Jenkins and Al Gore performed particularly strongly.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 05:17:57 PM »

I should stop making timelines for the moment, since I always run out of ideas. All of them have already been done on Reddit.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 10:48:16 AM »

Ralph Jenkins reveals campaign endorsements
December 10, 1987

Governor of Ohio and surging presidential candidate Ralph Jenkins has revealed elected officeholders which endorsed his campaign.

They include Ohio's two US Senators, John Glenn and Howard Metzenbaum; populist representatives and Senators such as David Bonior, Tom Harkin and James Oberstar; all Democrats in Ohio's congressional delegation; and some conservative Democrats such as Bob Casey, Jenkins' campaign co-chairman.

Ralph Jenkins endorsers

US Senator John Glenn (D-Ohio)
US Senator Howard Metzenbaum (D-Ohio)
US Representative James Traficant (D-Ohio)
US Representative Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio)
US Representative Douglas Applegate (D-Ohio)

US Representative Jim Oberstar (D-Minnesota)
US Representative David Bonior (D-Michigan)
US Representative John Dingell (D-Michigan)
Governor Bob Casey (D-Pennsylvania)
Former Governor George Wallace (D-Alabama)
US Senator Max Baucus (D-Montana)
US Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa)
US Senator William Proxmire (D-Wisconsin)

These endorsements are expected to help Jenkins in the Rust Belt.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies