Goddamnit: if a wider war breaks out use this thread for context
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:30:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Goddamnit: if a wider war breaks out use this thread for context
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Goddamnit: if a wider war breaks out use this thread for context  (Read 6589 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2022, 10:23:54 AM »

Ah, memories of the ultra-left press of yore.

Workers Hammer was maybe my all time favourite title.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2022, 12:03:12 PM »

Because mainstream media won’t report on actually bad news Wink
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2022, 05:20:41 PM »

Can we change this title back to its original state, without the two words added? Not sure what added value it has to allow the far-leftist OP to masturbate on the supposed impending slaughter of my people - for which there is no evidence in the first place, but which does not make such masturbation any less disturbing and inappropriate.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »

Can we change this title back to its original state, without the two words added? Not sure what added value it has to allow the far-leftist OP to masturbate on the supposed impending slaughter of my people - for which there is no evidence in the first place, but which does not make such masturbation any less disturbing and inappropriate.
The title is not meant to support or oppose a possible event, the only reason I added it is because there is a lot of conflict in the West Bank compared to the usual tempo.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2022, 01:07:49 PM »

The revolutionaries are trying to take territorial control again.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »

Because mainstream media won’t report on actually bad news Wink

what
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2022, 01:12:47 PM »

So outside of areas with a significant Kurdish population, the protests have significantly died down in most places. I expected that this sort of thing would happen, but either way this was a major development that advanced revolutionary forces in the country and scared the regime.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »

Another one bites the dust. Israel and the U.S. have the best intelligence services in the world and with data sharing, Iran just can’t compete. This is why any sort of celebratory action or hand-wringing about a Iran-dominated Middle East is just not possible, all the middle men get whack a moled whenever they venture outside into the unknown and the way things are set up, there’s like no way to collect information inside Israel.

Iran’s border regions are filled with people looking for a bribe, it’s got a lot of dedicated people who hate the government in high enough places, and the government just doesn’t care about really solidifying things. Ultimately the only thing keeping Iran from dominating is the regime in-place itself
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:01 PM »

The US is abandoning the Kurds once again as Turkey ramps up attacks

If this turns into another offensive and the YPG loses its northern territories, the ease of smuggling of foreign fighters and guns from Turkey stops. The PKK’s forces will be split in two and isolated into pockets on all angles. There goes any sort of care from Syria in treating them as partners, and brings up the nasty fact of oil theft facilitated by US spec ops.

It’s been a long time of buildup to this moment, and regardless of what happens this is probably the most functional state actually independent of foreign affairs, given KRG is ran by Turkish companies and Talabani’s faction are heading towards irrelevance. Again, this is what happens when you go all in on thinking the US won’t throw you under the bus.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »

Qatar pushing for LF army chief to be next Lebanese president through bribery. The majority in parliament would rather not have to deal with their trolling, so parliament will go as is. Until a new civil war breaks out, which I doubt happens anytime soon given the fact Lebanon’s energy extraction in the newly demarcated borders gives them some time, LF is going nowhere.

Saudi Arabia tries to improve their navy and military generally through multilateral partnership deals. Generally, the only Arab states with a functioning navy are the UAE—with officers staffed with mercenaries—Egypt, and Oman. Iran has an aging fleet but competent officers, and mainly focuses on beachheads to defend the coast.

The protests in Iran have, like I’ve been saying, been mostly relegating to only violence in Iranian Kurdistan/Rojhelat. There’s university protests elsewhere, but otherwise things have significantly dampened down as people get back to work to support themselves and their families.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2022, 12:25:52 PM »

You need to find a new obsession
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2022, 12:07:17 AM »

I would not be surprised if Turkey’s relations with Iran drastically deteriorate if the CHP comes to power given that they are puppets of the US and Eurozone. I fear only they can actually go about severing the economic relations between both countries and kicking out the Iranian merchants in Turkey. The only question is will they continue to go after the Kurds and reform the Turkish sphere of influence or will they and nationalistic Azerbaijan strike Iran.

Saudi Arabia and Jordan have made up after the Palace incident Jordan has had, by expanding ties

The UAE throws the current Sudanese regime a life vest

I think this wraps up all the civil unrest that has been plaguing the stable countries; the conflict in Jenin has died down and Israel isn’t poking anyone else risk the offshore oil fields, the Iranian protests have been suppressed, Iraq and Lebanon have had most people move on to focusing on work due to a collapsing economy, and now the Sudanese protests have died down. No one wants to risk war now else face the economic consequences.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »

I would not be surprised if Turkey’s relations with Iran drastically deteriorate if the CHP comes to power given that they are puppets of the US and Eurozone. I fear only they can actually go about severing the economic relations between both countries and kicking out the Iranian merchants in Turkey. The only question is will they continue to go after the Kurds and reform the Turkish sphere of influence or will they and nationalistic Azerbaijan strike Iran.

Saudi Arabia and Jordan have made up after the Palace incident Jordan has had, by expanding ties

The UAE throws the current Sudanese regime a life vest

I think this wraps up all the civil unrest that has been plaguing the stable countries; the conflict in Jenin has died down and Israel isn’t poking anyone else risk the offshore oil fields, the Iranian protests have been suppressed, Iraq and Lebanon have had most people move on to focusing on work due to a collapsing economy, and now the Sudanese protests have died down. No one wants to risk war now else face the economic consequences.

Still ongoing, even if on a slightly lesser scale than before.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2023, 12:56:39 AM »

Alright, I did not expect the deals between the conservative Arab states and Iran to occur so quickly, but here we are. Out of all of it, peace has been finalized and we could see Iran be firmly connected to the regional economy bar Israel.

I highly doubt proxy shenanigans will stop so soon but we will see.

Jordan has allowed the Iraqi ba’athists to organize legally again and Iran is quite mad.

The airstrikes by Israel against predominantly PIJ, and the small scale destruction of remaining villages in the West Bank while leaving larger cities with small raids or letting the PA handle it, shows that Israel is going after small and isolated targets first as a sort of gradual effect to go after bigger ones. They know the rest of the Palestinian militias don’t care about PIJ, the only real Iranian proxy on the ground, so that’s where they are striking.

The Taliban is back to their old bulls••• of picking fights with their nearby neighbors. First Pakistan over grievances, now Iran to own the Shi’ites. Ultimately this won’t go anywhere as Iran doesn’t want war with Afghanistan and the Taliban don’t want to risk war by conventional or irregular means done by rebels, but it shows what could have been had Biden resigned the Iran deal and let the latter deal with curtailing the Taliban

I’m putting a new stance that aside from Israel/Palestine fighting there won’t be any other war till 2025. No one is benefiting from conflict so soon as serious money can be made after Covid-19 exhausted everyone.
THKL
Rookie
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2023, 07:13:20 PM »

Alright, I did not expect the deals between the conservative Arab states and Iran to occur so quickly, but here we are. Out of all of it, peace has been finalized and we could see Iran be firmly connected to the regional economy bar Israel.

I highly doubt proxy shenanigans will stop so soon but we will see.

Jordan has allowed the Iraqi ba’athists to organize legally again and Iran is quite mad.

The airstrikes by Israel against predominantly PIJ, and the small scale destruction of remaining villages in the West Bank while leaving larger cities with small raids or letting the PA handle it, shows that Israel is going after small and isolated targets first as a sort of gradual effect to go after bigger ones. They know the rest of the Palestinian militias don’t care about PIJ, the only real Iranian proxy on the ground, so that’s where they are striking.

The Taliban is back to their old bulls••• of picking fights with their nearby neighbors. First Pakistan over grievances, now Iran to own the Shi’ites. Ultimately this won’t go anywhere as Iran doesn’t want war with Afghanistan and the Taliban don’t want to risk war by conventional or irregular means done by rebels, but it shows what could have been had Biden resigned the Iran deal and let the latter deal with curtailing the Taliban

I’m putting a new stance that aside from Israel/Palestine fighting there won’t be any other war till 2025. No one is benefiting from conflict so soon as serious money can be made after Covid-19 exhausted everyone.

Do you think that Israel could bomb Iran in order to get the Republicans back in the White House (we know Netanyahu likes both Trump and Desantis), by starting a regional war that would trigger a massive spike in Gas prices (and subsequently increase Inflation and Interest rates, thus damaging the World Economy) along with probably dragging the US into the war due to Iran probably retaliating on US military bases, 🤔?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2023, 07:18:15 PM »

Not happening anytime soon. Israel doesn’t want a war in this crucial time and the United States lost its one chance at making war with Iran after Afghanistan. A cooling peace is inevitable for the next two years or so.

The Middle East is probably at its most irrelevant in history, and with the phasing out of fossil fuels will only get more so. Take a look at Africa instead
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »

Yes, your last point is often overlooked.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2023, 01:46:07 AM »

Israeli arms industry has never been better with huge sales to the Gulf kingdoms. Israeli arms sales will only increase as the Saudis and Jordan buy into it, and with that being the crux of industrial manufacturing in Israel, I doubt the government changes course from where it is under Netanyahu.

Iran is also enjoying the trade surplus that they are getting with the gulf states, although not with weapons sales. This is the beginning of the rebirth of the Persian Gulf as a trade nexus all to itself.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »

Russia to open consulate in Jerusalem. Another country throws the Palestinians under the bus, although much later than most of the Gulf kingdoms.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2023, 01:47:05 PM »

Russia to open consulate in Jerusalem. Another country throws the Palestinians under the bus, although much later than most of the Gulf kingdoms.
The geopolitical importance of Israel for Russia has grown thanks to the war in Ukraine.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2023, 02:04:46 PM »

these websites are the modern iskra, acting as vanguards of the revolution
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2023, 02:23:58 PM »

Fossil fuels will not be phased out for a hundred years (at minimum).
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2023, 03:50:26 PM »

decline in importance, surely
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2023, 03:56:17 PM »

decline in importance, surely

I mean, they will still be required, for decades at minimum, for transport (planes, ships, cars etc), and until a solution is found to the intermittency problem on the electric grid (or there is mass adoption of nuclear power, which seems questionable), they’ll be needed there as well. A hundred years is probably a rhetorical exaggeration, but certainly after most of us are dead and gone (if we wish to maintain modern living standards and production levels that is).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »

No talk on the biggest diplomatic move of the year?

Mexico demands extradition of suspect of interest in the 2014 student abduction case evading justice in Israel
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on 20 June called on Israel to extradite the former head of Mexico’s criminal investigation agency, Tomas Zeron, who is wanted in connection to the disappearance of 43 students in southwestern Mexico in 2014.

Zeron is also accused of embezzling over $50 million and torturing suspects.

“It can’t be that Israel protects a torturer under any circumstance. Nobody in the world must protect torturers, much less those who suffered from repression, torture, extermination,” Lopez Obrador told reporters on Tuesday.

“I am sure that the Jewish community in Mexico will help us,” he stressed before questioning whether Tel Aviv is protecting Zeron because of his role in negotiating Mexico’s purchase of Israeli spyware.

Israel, the UAE, and another Arab country to connect Europe with Asia using fiber optics
Mega projects like these show that there is no threat to the current Israeli coalition from any angle. The jobs and profits will be made available to all of the current players of this government and no sort of institutional opposition will exist once the civil service and security agencies are aptly staffed with Likudniks and allies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies