Frequently Asked Questions:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:51:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Frequently Asked Questions:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions:  (Read 5835 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 12:22:54 AM »

Vorlon, is your map a picture of what you predict for election day, or how you see it if the vote happened today? What made you change it toward Bush some more? Was it something you saw in the national polls? Your map seems pretty reasonable to me, but I see Kerry winning West Virginia.

This map is a "snapshot" if the election were held today.

My preliminary Nov 2nd prediction actually has Kerry winnng 305/233.

There are three major demographic groups right now that are very very unsettled right now:

Married white women
Lower income males
College educated single men

The Nov 2 is based on all three breaking for kerry.

I freely admit my Nov 2 prediction is utterly unreliable.  Smiley

When married white women break one way or the other, I'll tell you for sure who will win

There is a long, long, long way to go till Nov 2nd

I suggest that with married white women and lower income males the primary focus is the economy.  If the economy (including unemployement rates) continues to improve, I believe both of these groups will edge toward Bush.

The college educated men are also somewhat affected by economic news, but are also affected by the Iraq war situation.  If the situation improves in Iraq, suspect they also will edge to Bush.

Another factor affecting lower income males is Kerry's style.  He has been fortunate to be in hiding for so long.  His style really anoys this group.

If Kerry (or his acolytes) really gets vicious (desperate), he will begin to annoy white women (and to a lesser extent college educated men).

A key indicator to watch is Democrat candidates for Congress.  If they avoid Kerry, he's a goner (even if Zogby et al. shows him ahead by ten points).
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 08:36:40 AM »

There are three major demographic groups right now that are very very unsettled right now:

Married white women
Lower income males
College educated single men

The Nov 2 is based on all three breaking for kerry.

I freely admit my Nov 2 prediction is utterly unreliable.  Smiley

I stand by and defend the utter UNreliability of my Nov 2 map!

I suggest that with married white women and lower income males the primary focus is the economy.  If the economy (including unemployement rates) continues to improve, I believe both of these groups will edge toward Bush.

The college educated men are also somewhat affected by economic news, but are also affected by the Iraq war situation.  If the situation improves in Iraq, suspect they also will edge to Bush.

Another factor affecting lower income males is Kerry's style.  He has been fortunate to be in hiding for so long.  His style really anoys this group.

If Kerry (or his acolytes) really gets vicious (desperate), he will begin to annoy white women (and to a lesser extent college educated men).

A key indicator to watch is Democrat candidates for Congress.  If they avoid Kerry, he's a goner (even if Zogby et al. shows him ahead by ten points).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

>>>Correct, Males have firmed up a bit for Bush, Women have not.  

Bush won White women 49/48 in 2000, he is currently down a hair in 2004

Historically a quirky group.  The polls on these folks are wildly erratic right now.  I don't even have a guess on this group Smiley

A very good point.  Watch where and if the Congressional democrats want to be seen with Kerry.  When their own political lives are at stake, they will tell you the "real" truth. Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2004, 08:42:58 AM »

I am a broke poor non-college educated white male and I support Bush. Am I bucking the trend? Smiley Or does the whole southerner thing eliminate that first part? Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2004, 02:20:21 PM »

Too bad Johnnie isn't running in 2006 (well, maybe he will).

Has Rove gotten the message yet that he's backing the wrong horse?

Martinez never seemed plausible to me.

If it weren't for White House support, suspect he would be bottom feeding with Bob Smith right now.

Needless to say, I like Bill McCollum.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2004, 04:55:21 PM »

vorlon, you currently have bush at 300+ EVs, yet your november 2nd prediction has kerry at 300 EVs.  what is going to happen between now and then to cause that shift?

you say kerry is already leading among white women, working class white males and college educated single white males, but you still give bush over 300 EVs?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies