Democrats: which states concern you in the future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:47:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Democrats: which states concern you in the future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats: which states concern you in the future?  (Read 664 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2022, 10:34:18 AM »

In online political discourse amongst liberals I've seen plenty of takes about XYZ places that are confidently trending left and will provide ample opportunity for Democratic inroads (if they haven't already). However, Florida is the only non-deep red state that liberals seem to be pretty doomer about across the board, so I am curious- Democrats, what parts of the country are you concerned about trending away from your party in future election cycles?
turfmoor
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:22:37 PM »

Outside of the current swing states, Maine is probably the biggest one followed by New Mexico as the states with the worst trends and demographics (if the rural-urban and educational shifts continue) for Democrats going forward
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 01:17:26 AM »

Wisconsin is already a swing state but Republicans have a lot of room to grow in the rural areas which are a bigger share of the state than the suburbs, so it is pretty plausible that within a few cycles it is voting like Ohio and Iowa do now.

Nevada is a pretty poorly educated state so if education polarisation replaces racial polarisation that is terrible news for Democrats there, and its Democratic trend appears to have peaked a decade ago.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:42 AM »

I don't feel good about Wisconsin or Maine long term, but excluding states which are already competitive, I would not be surprised to see some New England states become competitive because of how heavily white they are, Rhode Island already has a history of electing socially conservative Democrats and that makes it a possible state for alarm (though probably not for many years).
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 01:32:50 AM »

[...]
Nevada is a pretty poorly educated state so if education polarisation replaces racial polarisation that is terrible news for Democrats there, and its Democratic trend appears to have peaked a decade ago.

Another factor currently sustaining NV's D lean is the fact that a substantial share of its working class voters are unionized. In general, unionized working class voters are more Democratic than non-unionized working class voters; much of the Democrats' decline in working class support in other regions can be attributed to the decline of unionization in those areas. If union membership somehow declines there (similar to how it declined in the Rust Belt and/or Appalachia), then that could also tip the state to the Republicans.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 11:30:34 AM »

I'm actually not really that worried about Maine or New Mexico at the moment. They might be a problem late in the decade, but at the moment I'm not enormously concerned.

Nevada is the one that makes me nervous. Especially since it seems like the state Democratic Party has gone...really weird.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies