Pope Francis - will he retire? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis - will he retire? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis - will he retire?  (Read 790 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: June 07, 2022, 08:56:54 AM »

I don't think he'd retire until Benedict is dead, quite frankly.

I know at the beginning of his papacy Francis mentioned he would consider abdication, but I think that was under the assumption that most people had that Benedict was near death. Nine years later and he's still around, and there's still a decent number of people close to Benedict in the Vatican (how much I don't know, I'm not an expert by literally any stretch of the imagination).

I think having a Pope Emeritus is weird enough for people in the Vatican--having two is a different story. Add that to the fact that contrary to the Pope movie, I'm pretty sure Francis and Benedict dislike each other and may not want to spend their last years sharing Papal spaces or splitting whatever homes the Pope's estate would give to them.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »

I think having a Pope Emeritus is weird enough for people in the Vatican--having two is a different story. Add that to the fact that contrary to the Pope movie, I'm pretty sure Francis and Benedict dislike each other and may not want to spend their last years sharing Papal spaces or splitting whatever homes the Pope's estate would give to them.

The Two Popes was obviously a work of fiction, but Francis & Benedict already live in adjacent proximity to each other & are said to be on legitimately good & friendly terms with one another, so I don't see that being a part of the consideration. (The weirdness of having 3 living Popes at once, on the other hand...)

Is this part actually true, though? Cause the things I've read imply otherwise. Though it's possible that Benedict's people and Francis's people are the ones that genuinely despise one another, and not the two Popes themselves
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies