Describe a Goldwater 1964 - McGovern 1972 voter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Goldwater 1964 - McGovern 1972 voter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Goldwater 1964 - McGovern 1972 voter  (Read 1314 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 06, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »

Harvey Milk, potentially (he was a Republican until he switched parties in 1972).
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 09:10:07 PM »

I think there was a town in Massachusetts that voted this way
Does anyone know what the town was?

There almost certainly wasn’t. Johnson won MA by 53 points. And his weakest County (which he still won by 14) voted for Nixon by 23 points.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »

I think there was a town in Massachusetts that voted this way
Does anyone know what the town was?

There almost certainly wasn’t. Johnson won MA by 53 points. And his weakest County (which he still won by 14) voted for Nixon by 23 points.

oh ok.  I noticed from looking at the map just how blue MA swung in 1964 from 1960... which means a lot of people that did not vote for Kennedy voted for Johnson?!?

Goldwater was successfully portrayed by Johnson as a right-wing extremist, which made him unpopular nationwide, but especially so in the liberal bastion of New England. Additionally, the mourning over JFK, an even stronger force in Massachusetts, made Johnson cruise to an extremely easy victory. What’s interesting is that Johnson’s landslide was not as massive as it would have been earlier in the election season- some polls around Spring Time showed Johnson wiki a 40-50 point lead nationwide.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies