Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:01:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
Yes (R)

Yes (D)

Yes (I)

No (R)

No (D)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?  (Read 778 times)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »

On a serious note, no. Although low quality meat they sell at places like Walmart should be taxed highly to discourage consumption.

A better way to discourage consumption of industrial factory meat is to promote lab-grown meat, hunting/fishing, plant/non-flesh protein sources (lentils, peanuts, soy, but also eggs and dairy). Or just make fresh produce more widely available in low-resource areas so we don’t have as many food deserts. That’ll kill multiple birds with one stone.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2022, 11:30:42 PM »

To be fair, though, I have noticed more 'fake non-veg' or 'vegan meat' that tastes similar to real meat and tastes nice, but isn't actually non-veg and doesn't involve the slaying of animals. Like there is burger meat that's actually vegan but that you could swear was meat just by tasting it. It's delicious, and it doesn't kill or mistreat any animals since it's vegan. The only trouble is that it's processed and not that healthy (though that's of little concern to me).

I'd be open to trying the alternatives.  I've heard that they're making them taste so realistic that maybe in a few generations, you won't be able to tell the difference...

This issue reminds me of people that recommend driving less or taking mass transit.  Yeah that might help the environment, but I miss my car, and I loved driving it.  ( wouldn't love the gas prices though lol)

I HATE bag bans though (and paper straws)...and even though they help the environment, they really suck.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the vegan burger meat (don't remember the brand it came from) tasted EXACTLY like real meat. It was utterly delicious. Don't know the name, but would recommend it to anybody who loves the taste of meat but would prefer not to kill animals. Vegan sausages can also be really nice, though a lot of the time they have a distinctly different taste from the real thing.

Is that the Imppossible Burger from BK I've heard so much about?

No, it's just burger meat that's frozen and that you can make at home. Generally, 'impossible burgers' you get at restaurants aren't as good as the real thing and are different tasting. This, on the other hand, was divine and tasted one thousand percent like the real thing. Truly a miracle. I'll see if I can figure out the brand and when I do, I'll share it here. Would recommend for sure.

Okay yeah it’s a frozen Impossible burger.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2022, 11:47:13 PM »

no but I support funding more research into synthetic meat.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »

I support banning meat consumption, because the Animals deserve a right to life.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2022, 05:48:37 PM »

You can pluck my steak out of my cold, dead hands
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2022, 11:40:42 PM »

Lol we raise too many cattle we don't need pork but beef or chicken or fish isn't being eliminated, even pets eat beef
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2022, 03:28:54 AM »

You can pluck my steak out of my cold, dead hands

Pro-life for humans only then?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 06:43:17 AM »

Depends on the definition of meat. If we get to a stage where we can grow meat out of a lab and produce it without too many emission compared to the current industry, I would favor a total reconversion with only restaurants allowed a deductible on sourcing cow meat. Also, we (the West) should really start the combat with red meat consumption : chicken pollutes considerably less.

In the end, if you present to your educated electorate a choice between maintaining cheap travel and airliners but forgoing meat 6 days out of 7, most educated people would understand that the elasticity of meat and consumer demand means that replacing your meat burger with a fake meat burger is worth forgoing compared to expanding international travel. We're being naive by thinking that the costs needed to phase out some of our transport system in favour of trains or sailing across the Atlantic like Greta are in any achievable compared to simply replacing meat with vegetarian options.

This bargain will not be done though because people are selfish and hate sudden change. And also because vegans tend to be extremely insufferable in their attitudes towards most subject (I know because I work with them).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies