Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:19:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?
Yes (R)

Yes (D)

Yes (I)

No (R)

No (D)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change?  (Read 777 times)
MiddleRoad
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2022, 04:19:43 PM »

Do you favor banning meat consumption to fight climate change
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 04:28:38 PM »

No, I don't think a ban is the right way forward.

There should be less production of cheap meat; people should instead get incentives to moderately reduce consumption of meat and instead buy more expensive, higher quality pork and beef.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 04:36:38 PM »

I support banning meat consumption, because the Animals deserve a right to life.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »

No (sane)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:48:36 PM »

no, who cares, climate change is going to happen regardless, everything only gets worse forever.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 08:04:54 PM »

No, because even though it's unjust, I absolutely love the taste of meat and couldn't go without it. A life where I'd be forever deprived of non-veg is not a life worth living to me, and it'd be better for rising sea levels to take me in 3 or 4 decades rather than me not getting to eat any non-veg for 3 or 4 decades. FORTUNATELY, this is an utter strawman and we do not need to ban meat consumption to fight climate change.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 08:05:54 PM »

Hell to the no (as I inhale my cheeseburger)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 08:06:30 PM »

I support banning meat consumption, because the Animals deserve a right to life.

I agree in theory, as what happens to animals is brutal and it's unjust, but in practice, I could never go without non-veg, so I'd vehemently oppose a ban like this much as I might support and sympathise with its ideals and want to in theory support it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 08:08:35 PM »

To be fair, though, I have noticed more 'fake non-veg' or 'vegan meat' that tastes similar to real meat and tastes nice, but isn't actually non-veg and doesn't involve the slaying of animals. Like there is burger meat that's actually vegan but that you could swear was meat just by tasting it. It's delicious, and it doesn't kill or mistreat any animals since it's vegan. The only trouble is that it's processed and not that healthy (though that's of little concern to me).
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 08:15:00 PM »

To be fair, though, I have noticed more 'fake non-veg' or 'vegan meat' that tastes similar to real meat and tastes nice, but isn't actually non-veg and doesn't involve the slaying of animals. Like there is burger meat that's actually vegan but that you could swear was meat just by tasting it. It's delicious, and it doesn't kill or mistreat any animals since it's vegan. The only trouble is that it's processed and not that healthy (though that's of little concern to me).

I'd be open to trying the alternatives.  I've heard that they're making them taste so realistic that maybe in a few generations, you won't be able to tell the difference...

This issue reminds me of people that recommend driving less or taking mass transit.  Yeah that might help the environment, but I miss my car, and I loved driving it.  ( wouldn't love the gas prices though lol)

I HATE bag bans though (and paper straws)...and even though they help the environment, they really suck.

ahhh i miss the 90s (:
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »

I'd be open to trying the alternatives.  I've heard that they're making them taste so realistic that maybe in a few generations, you won't be able to tell the difference...

This issue reminds me of people that recommend driving less or taking mass transit.  Yeah that might help the environment, but I miss my car, and I loved driving it.  ( wouldn't love the gas prices though lol)

I HATE bag bans though (and paper straws)...and even though they help the environment, they really suck.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the vegan burger meat (don't remember the brand it came from) tasted EXACTLY like real meat. It was utterly delicious. Don't know the name, but would recommend it to anybody who loves the taste of meat but would prefer not to kill animals. Vegan sausages can also be really nice, though a lot of the time they have a distinctly different taste from the real thing.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the vegan burger meat (don't remember the brand it came from) tasted EXACTLY like real meat. It was utterly delicious. Don't know the name, but would recommend it to anybody who loves the taste of meat but would prefer not to kill animals. Vegan sausages can also be really nice, though a lot of the time they have a distinctly different taste from the real thing.

Is that the Imppossible Burger from BK I've heard so much about?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 08:27:19 PM »

Is that the Imppossible Burger from BK I've heard so much about?

No, it's just burger meat that's frozen and that you can make at home. Generally, 'impossible burgers' you get at restaurants aren't as good as the real thing and are different tasting. This, on the other hand, was divine and tasted one thousand percent like the real thing. Truly a miracle. I'll see if I can figure out the brand and when I do, I'll share it here. Would recommend for sure.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 08:56:39 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »

Banning meat won’t make a dent in climate change.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 05:41:40 AM »

Banning meat won’t make a dent in climate change.

But it’ll make the people behind the great reset feel powerful. Bugs for the have nots, steaks for the haves. So it’ll happen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 07:34:44 AM »

Just be advised that meat included poultry and fish and fresh water animals crabs, shrimp and lobster we can live off of Hogs and cattle but chicken and fish is less fat

Back during biblical times they lived off of lamb, fish, Jesus was a Sheppard that were made for lamb chops
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »

No, but we should stop subsidizing the meat industry (US spends $38B/year, the world spends $200B/year) and encourage people to eat factory meat.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2022, 11:55:22 AM »

Overall no, but in the USA/Canada/Australia it should be. Because those countries are so far behind the curve in terms of taking action on climate change that they need to start making some pretty radical changes in order to fulfil their fair share of the contribution.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »

Voted yes but a wholesale ban on any type of meat would be incredibly stupid and counterproductive.

There should be less production of cheap meat; people should instead get incentives to moderately reduce consumption of meat and instead buy more expensive, higher quality pork and beef.

No, but we should stop subsidizing the meat industry (US spends $38B/year, the world spends $200B/year) and encourage people to eat factory meat.

Factory meat is the meat industry.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »

No, because individual lifestyle changes are not the solution to fighting climate change and framing it as though that's the case is not just incorrect but incredibly irresponsible messaging.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »

Should, and inevitably will be, more expensive, but no outright banning.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 06:19:36 PM »

No, but we should promote bug eating to own the cons and eventually transition the entire nation into a self-sustaining guerrilla army.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 06:31:59 AM »

No, because individual lifestyle changes are not the solution to fighting climate change and framing it as though that's the case is not just incorrect but incredibly irresponsible messaging.
The proposal that the government regulate an industry that contributes heavily to climate change out of existence is about as far away from and individualized approach to climate change as you can get
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 07:00:53 AM »

If we're going to impose religious practices on people, let's ban pork!

On a serious note, no. Although low quality meat they sell at places like Walmart should be taxed highly to discourage consumption.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies