black voting stats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  black voting stats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: black voting stats?  (Read 12868 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 11:28:21 AM »

Dunn's statistics shows that Bush got only 5 percent in Texas! Worst than in any other state. It seems that Bush wasn't very popular governor among Afro-American.

Who do you think he would be?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 10:37:55 AM »

anyone know where i can find some stats on black voting in presidential elections?

Still a lot of data not available on the internet.

There's an excellent book written circa 1971 called The Ethnic Factor which in one chapter give a good examination of the black vote (used primarily precinct voting data).

To summarize the data, Blacks were overwhelmingly Republican in the vote prior to FDR, leaned to the Democrats from 1932-1960 (less so in the South), and have been overwhelmingly Democrats since then.

In general, Republicans typically get 5 - 10 per cent of the black vote.

Interestingly enough, many blacks are socially conservative.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 09:29:24 PM »

This brings up an interesting question, why was Nixon able to win every county in a few southern states in 1972? He won every county in Georgia and South Carolina and almost every one in a few more. Surely they would've been at least some black majority counties he would've lost. Were blacks still not voting in quite high numbers then?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »

When you get 85% of the white vote and low black turnout (hard for blacks to get enthusiastic about McGovern who was a sure loser), you get the results you posted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 02:17:49 AM »

Hoover won the black vote in his landslide defeat on 1932. Since then, they've voted for the Democrat in every Presidential election.
http://www.insightmag.com/news/2004/03/02/Politics/Analysis.Black.Vote.Key.To.Kerrys.Charge-609460.shtml
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 02:58:34 AM »

Hoover won the black vote in his landslide defeat on 1932. Since then, they've voted for the Democrat in every Presidential election.
http://www.insightmag.com/news/2004/03/02/Politics/Analysis.Black.Vote.Key.To.Kerrys.Charge-609460.shtml

Because white southern Democrats threatened to cut off economic benefits if they did not switch to the Democratic party.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 10:21:41 AM »

Because white southern Democrats threatened to cut off economic benefits if they did not switch to the Democratic party.

I think you're off base here, States-Rights.  During the Roosevelt era, blacks in the south were largely prevented from voting.  It wasn't until the Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Acts, of 1965 and 1964, that blacks started to vote in larger numbers in the south.

Blacks have freely chosen to vote Democratic, almost monolithically, in the past 4 decades.  People can disagree on whether they think that's a wise choice for some blacks, but it is a free choice.

I have noticed that many Republicans tend to discount the bad parts of the black experience in America, and I think that plays a role in pushing blacks away from our party.  Those of us who are white cannot truly understand what it is like to be unwanted in our own country for generations.  Yes, different immigrant groups were treated badly when they arrived, but they were generally able to outgrow it in a couple of generations.  For blacks, the exclusion and deliberately unequal treatment persisted a lot longer, and we need to acknowledge this.

That doesn't mean that I support Democratic policies toward black-related issues.  I think that Democrats have failed blacks in many ways, and that Republicans need to offer alternative solutions for problems faced by poor blacks and poor people in general.  The Democratic solutions don't work, but many blacks apparently feel that even failed Democratic solutions are better than anything Republicans have to offer them.

I'm not optimistic that Republicans can do this.  The Republican base would not take kindly to any perceived pandering to blacks (as the Democrats do), and I think that the level of racial division prevents any real feelings of common interest between middle class whites and blacks, of whatever class.  It's a shame.  I also don't think most blacks are open to considering alternatives to the Democrats, so all the effort Republicans would make would probably be wasted, at least in the short run.

Any political realignment will be a long process, but I think Republicans should start by honestly acknowledging where blacks are coming from, even if we don't agree with many of the ideas presented by blacks, and on their behalf, about how to deal with these issues.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2004, 10:25:28 AM »

Dazzleman while I agree with you I must say something. My last comment came from a book called, "Southern Politics" which was written in 1948. If you could get a copy it's a great book. It even has election results for senators and governers during the 1940s.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 10:33:05 AM »

Dazzleman while I agree with you I must say something. My last comment came from a book called, "Southern Politics" which was written in 1948. If you could get a copy it's a great book. It even has election results for senators and governers during the 1940s.

Well, I'm not sure how accurate a book written during that era would be in talking about blacks.  I guess it would depend on who wrote it, and what the agenda was.

I don't think that attitudes toward blacks have anything to do with whether one is a Democrat or Republican, but Democrats have done a better job (albeit in a largely hypocritical fashion) of portraying concern for blacks.  Republicans do sometimes seem to have a blind spot for understanding the black experience.

As I said, I don't agree with the Democratic views on race, and don't see eye-to-eye with most blacks on political matters.  But to blacks, the terms "state's rights" means the right to deny them their basic rights without interference from the federal government.  I believe in the good form of state's rights, but not that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 12:19:19 PM »

Well, I'm not sure how accurate a book written during that era would be in talking about blacks.  I guess it would depend on who wrote it, and what the agenda was.

I don't think that attitudes toward blacks have anything to do with whether one is a Democrat or Republican, but Democrats have done a better job (albeit in a largely hypocritical fashion) of portraying concern for blacks.  Republicans do sometimes seem to have a blind spot for understanding the black experience.

As I said, I don't agree with the Democratic views on race, and don't see eye-to-eye with most blacks on political matters.  But to blacks, the terms "state's rights" means the right to deny them their basic rights without interference from the federal government.  I believe in the good form of state's rights, but not that.

This book was written by, V.O. Key, Jr. I have no idea who he is but apparently he is a northerner writing on Southern Politics and trying to explain it to an audience who wouldn't know anything about southern politics. Apparently southern Democrats called the GOP dead and explained it that way to poor blacks. The GOP had neglected them they tried to say. But they use as example that at Republican conventions in the past (pre '48) blacks were allowed to have delegates. And blacks in the south were considered the "solid vote". Apparently, according to this book, Democrats started inviting blacks to the conventions, but not as delegates, and then tried to tell them that the GOP had abandoned them and it would be in their best interest to join their party.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2004, 12:19:10 AM »

It is an excellent book!

Key is one of the most respected academics of the twentieth century who wrote about American politics.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2004, 02:07:11 AM »

It is an excellent book!

Key is one of the most respected academics of the twentieth century who wrote about American politics.

It was written in 1949. I had no idea anyone would know about it. I picked it up at a bookstore in my wifes' hometown of Manassas, VA. Their breakdown of southern states is the 1949 version of the oh so great Dave Leips site here.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2004, 01:44:06 AM »

Key broke ground with his voting studies in the thirties.

You've got a keeper there.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2004, 08:14:31 AM »

Key broke ground with his voting studies in the thirties.

You've got a keeper there.

I have been slammed on the forum using his facts. Especially when I brought up the fact that blacks in the south were baited by white southerners to vote Democrat at the threat of losing monetary benefits. So blacks in swarms left the GOP for the southern Democratic party.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies