SB 109-10: Federal ANWR Territorial Integrity Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:30:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 109-10: Federal ANWR Territorial Integrity Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SB 109-10: Federal ANWR Territorial Integrity Act (Tabled)  (Read 3339 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »

I am still confused as to why any of these grievances provide even a smidge of a reason to oppose and obstruct Scott’s bill.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2022, 10:59:41 AM »

I am still confused as to why any of these grievances provide even a smidge of a reason to oppose and obstruct Scott’s bill.

As I said before IRL the ANWR is under federal jurisdiction. Why shouldn't this be the case here? Kansas, a civilian-occupied state (not a wildlife refuge) is not a comparable situation.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2022, 11:01:26 AM »

The above is a reason to question or oppose it, yes, but trying to kill it before it can even be debated is a rather extreme measure.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 11:13:20 AM by West_Midlander »

The above is a reason to question or oppose it, yes, but trying to kill it before it can even be debated is a rather extreme measure.

Fair enough. I oppose the bill as written but I would like to see it amended and I will introduce an amendment. Also, my one vote obviously won't come close to killing the bill.

I also appreciate Senator Sestak responding to me in good faith.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2022, 11:09:30 AM »

AN ACT
To protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Be it enacted Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled;

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Federal ANWR Territorial Integrity Act.

Section 2. Recognition of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) as Frémont territory

It shall be policy of the Republic of Atlasia that the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is under the domainjoint administration of the Commonwealth of Frémont and the federal Fish and Wildlife Service.

Section 3. Prohibition on leasing for oil exploration

Distribution of any federal oil and gas leases for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge shall be prohibited under Federal law.

Section 4. Enactment

This act shall take effect ninety (90) days after passage.

The Vice President is recognized.

After some consideration, I am introducing an amendment supporting the joint regional-federal administration of the ANWR.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2022, 11:10:22 AM »

In the interest of acting in good faith, I will switch my vote to Present on sponsorship.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »

Aye on sponsorship
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2022, 03:51:32 PM »

Provided that the amendment leaves the original purpose of the bill intact (not allowing drilling in protected lands), which it appears to do, I am okay with it unless WD has any objections.

I would also like to clarify that I personally asked WD to sign on as a co-sponsor, specifically because the area affected is in his district. If there was ever any controversy about drilling in the Everglades, hypothetically speaking, I would consult Muad'dib and ask him to sponsor similar legislation.

Either way, having both the regional and federal governments agree that drilling should not be permitted in this area is my primary objective here, not more territorial dispute.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2022, 03:55:27 PM »

I have no issue with the amendment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2022, 04:09:17 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Senator Midlander's amendment.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »

The vote on my sponsorship has not concluded yet, so would we not wait until that finishes before the objection period for the amendment starts? 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2022, 04:26:44 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 04:35:44 PM by Vice President and First Minister Scott 🇺🇦 »

The vote on my sponsorship has not concluded yet, so would we not wait until that finishes before the objection period for the amendment starts? 

Not necessarily. Currently I'm the only sponsor.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »

How much is Fremont paying the federal government to obtain ANWR? It seems like if we are going to ban all productive use of the land at Fremont's request and also let Fremont exercise dominion over the land we might as well just sell it to them. Then yall can keep it as a valueless snowball without having to worry about federal policy changing.

Its 30,136 mi˛ of prime oil lands with estimates of between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels. At roughly $115 per barrel, that means the oil is roughly worth $885.5 Billion and if we are generous and assume only $100 per acre for 19,287,040 acres thats $1,928,704,000. So agreeing to forego the oil AND transfer the land to Fremont costs the federal government around $887 Billion.

Is Fremont willing to pay that to the federal government? If we are really nice we can give u a 5 year payment plan interest free and yall would only have to pay $177.4 Billion per year for 5 years. That would atleast help pay for the Great Welfare Act that blew out the budget. I think thats fair since the South intends to bid on the TVA at auction rather than receiving it as a free gift even though its worth less than ANWR.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM »

How much is Fremont paying the federal government to obtain ANWR? It seems like if we are going to ban all productive use of the land at Fremont's request and also let Fremont exercise dominion over the land we might as well just sell it to them. Then yall can keep it as a valueless snowball without having to worry about federal policy changing.

Its 30,136 mi² of prime oil lands with estimates of between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels. At roughly $115 per barrel, that means the oil is roughly worth $885.5 Billion and if we are generous and assume only $100 per acre for 19,287,040 acres thats $1,928,704,000. So agreeing to forego the oil AND transfer the land to Fremont costs the federal government around $887 Billion.

Is Fremont willing to pay that to the federal government? If we are really nice we can give u a 5 year payment plan interest free and yall would only have to pay $177.4 Billion per year for 5 years. That would atleast help pay for the Great Welfare Act that blew out the budget. I think thats fair since the South intends to bid on the TVA at auction rather than receiving it as a free gift even though its worth less than ANWR.

I think the compromise that WM proposed addresses this problem.

Stressing once again that the issue isn't so much who owns the land but rather how/if the land is conserved. I'm fine with co-ownership provided that one party can't unilaterally lease the land to oil and gas companies.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2022, 05:23:40 PM »

Its 30,136 mi˛ of prime oil lands with estimates of between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels. At roughly $115 per barrel, that means the oil is roughly worth $885.5 Billion and if we are generous and assume only $100 per acre for 19,287,040 acres thats $1,928,704,000. So agreeing to forego the oil AND transfer the land to Fremont costs the federal government around $887 Billion.

Stressing once again that the issue isn't so much who owns the land but rather how/if the land is conserved. I'm fine with co-ownership provided that one party can't unilaterally lease the land to oil and gas companies.

Im fine with that arrangement if yall pay half the value of the oil and land. This is a near trillion dollar special favor Fremont is asking for. How much can Fremont pay?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2022, 06:09:54 PM »

Its 30,136 mi˛ of prime oil lands with estimates of between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels. At roughly $115 per barrel, that means the oil is roughly worth $885.5 Billion and if we are generous and assume only $100 per acre for 19,287,040 acres thats $1,928,704,000. So agreeing to forego the oil AND transfer the land to Fremont costs the federal government around $887 Billion.

Im fine with that arrangement if yall pay half the value of the oil and land. This is a near trillion dollar special favor Fremont is asking for. How much can Fremont pay?

Has drilling in the ANWR ever been on the table in-game? My understanding is that neither the regional nor federal government has ever issued any leases for drilling - and what this bill does is strengthen protections. The OTL Trump tax cuts allowed for drilling in the ANWR until the Biden administration put a stop to it.

But FT doesn't pay the federal government to not allow drilling there anymore than the South pays (to my knowledge at least) to not have the Everglades drilled. We wouldn't allow similar activity in the Grand Canyon or in the Ozarks or in Lincoln's Pine Creek Gorge for the same reasons.

And needless to say, energy is a staple industry of Alaska's economy. We're not trying to ban all drilling in the state, only to protect lands where drilling has historically been prohibited.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2022, 06:23:33 PM »

Abstain
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2022, 06:29:17 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 06:49:31 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Has drilling in the ANWR ever been on the table in-game? My understanding is that neither the regional nor federal government has ever issued any leases for drilling - and what this bill does is strengthen protections. The OTL Trump tax cuts allowed for drilling in the ANWR until the Biden administration put a stop to it.

But FT doesn't pay the federal government to not allow drilling there anymore than the South pays (to my knowledge at least) to not have the Everglades drilled. We wouldn't allow similar activity in the Grand Canyon or in the Ozarks or in Lincoln's Pine Creek Gorge for the same reasons.

I think the South might be willing to buy the mineral rights to the everglades from the federal government to prohibit drilling. The federal government needs the money. Each region can contribute. Thats fair and legally binding as the federal government would have to eminent domain them back to reallow drilling.

31 million barrels of oil in Florida x $115 per barrel is $3.565 Billion. We will pay that if fremont pays $800 billion for ANWR.

Lincoln can chip in with the Great Lakes mineral rights. 311 million barrels of oil x $115 per barrel is $35.765 Billion.

This helps us pay for the great society.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 08:06:40 AM »

This bill has my support. Aye!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2022, 09:24:46 PM »

Counting abstentions, we have quorum, so I'll allow 24 more hours on the sponsorship vote.

Also, Senator Midlander's amendment is adopted.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 11:29:03 PM »

Its 30,136 mi² of prime oil lands with estimates of between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels. At roughly $115 per barrel, that means the oil is roughly worth $885.5 Billion and if we are generous and assume only $100 per acre for 19,287,040 acres thats $1,928,704,000. So agreeing to forego the oil AND transfer the land to Fremont costs the federal government around $887 Billion.

And needless to say, energy is a staple industry of Alaska's economy. We're not trying to ban all drilling in the state, only to protect lands where drilling has historically been prohibited.

Seems like the principal action taken has been to block off drilling in the ANWR.

One of the Blair bills from a little while back already blocked federal permission for drilling. I think that already covers Section 3. One of the Speaker OBD bills also blocked regional permission for the same.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2022, 08:35:58 PM »

Well this is pretty awkward.

If WD doesn't object, I move to withdraw sponsorship.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »

Abstain
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2022, 12:38:33 AM »

I believe the sponsorship vote can be closed. Will compile a vote tally and close it if that's alright with Scott.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2022, 01:24:04 AM »

Vote on WD sponsoring:

Lincoln: Beesley – Not voting
Northeast: AGA – Aye
Great Lakes: Cao – Abstain

Frémont: Kuumo – Not voting
Mountain West: AFE – Aye
Pacific: Western Democrat – Aye

South: Mr. R – Aye
Upper South: Yankee – Abstain
Deep South: Muad'dib – Abstain

STV1: MB – Aye
STV2: Weatherboy – Aye
STV3: Deadprez – Not voting
STV4: West_Midlander – Present
STV5: Sestak – Aye
STV6: OSR – Not voting
STV7: Blairite – Not voting
STV8: Adam – Not voting
STV9: Liam – Not voting

With 7 ayes, 0 nays, 3 abstentions, and 8 present or not voting, WD is recognized as sponsor.

Scott's withdrawal of sponsorship will be recognized if no objections are made within 24 hours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies