Opinion of prayers at sports game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of prayers at sports game
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of people praying or permitting religion at sports games?
Freedom idea

Horrible idea

Okay idea but frowned on

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of prayers at sports game  (Read 1099 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2022, 07:16:08 AM »

What do you think public display of religion being present at sports games?? As a staunchly secular individual, I don’t see a point to the idea of praying in a sports game in a Western country given I tend to see religion and sports as unrelated(even if the Ancient Greek Olympics were explicitly Pagan).  I also just really don’t think a deity that can use physics to make stars explode would really care what some gridiron team at a high school in San Antonio does.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 12:22:29 PM »

idc, im never gonna be able to convince the population that they're literally worshipping demons and it's not really my place to anyway so they can do whatever
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 07:46:26 PM »

Prayers are great regardless of when and where they're done.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:43:16 AM »

At strictly private events, Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick should be able to do whatever they want. If a parochial school is participating in an event at a public school, they should also be able to do whatever they want, too. The only time where I would have a problem with it is that the coach or team has a prayer against the wishes the of a team member or coach. Everyone (and their parents with minors) should be OK with it if they do it or whatever else they do.  

I would say the mix of 1 and 3.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 09:12:49 AM »

Great idea if done in the spirit of good sportsmanship.  Praying that you win is tacky, but asking God to watch over the health/safety of all the players and help them to play to the best of their ability is some A+ stuff
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 02:40:32 PM »

Praying and "permitting religion" is such a broad idea I don't think I can answer this question.

If you mean if I'm okay with athletes or coaches praying individually (or making the sign of the cross, etc.) before a game, than yes, that's absolutely a good thing.

A group prayer may be fine but I could some people finding that to be a little coercive.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the practice. I, personally, don't believe our most high and sovereign Lord cares about the outcome of sports games, but prayers of general blessing and for the safety of players make perfect sense!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 05:27:59 PM »

A moment of silence in the wake of a tragedy or something like that is, of course, appropriate. Gratuitous prayers to show off "Christian" values is sick.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 02:07:53 PM »

Horrible idea, and if 90s sports movies have taught us anything, it gives an unfair advantage to the Anaheim Angels.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 04:57:58 PM »

Prayers are great regardless of when and where they're done.

Jesus Christ disagreed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 06:33:27 AM »

What do you think public display of religion being present at sports games?? As a staunchly secular individual, I don’t see a point to the idea of praying in a sports game in a Western country given I tend to see religion and sports as unrelated(even if the Ancient Greek Olympics were explicitly Pagan).  I also just really don’t think a deity that can use physics to make stars explode would really care what some gridiron team at a high school in San Antonio does.
wait...are these people praying for a win....as a group?  'cause that would be weird.  All group prayer I've seen at sporting events has been of the "dear Lord, thank you for letting us be healthy enough to play and keep us that way while we play.  In Jesus name we pray, amen".  People that pray together for a victory over the other team are doing it wrong and I have my doubts that that happens very often.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »

idc, im never gonna be able to convince the population that they're literally worshipping demons and it's not really my place to anyway so they can do whatever

?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 07:44:46 PM »

?

i dont get ppl believing why any deity wouldn't be evil basically, feels like anything with that much power would undoubtedly be evil
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 01:28:55 AM »

i believe that god very charitably looks away in second-hand embarassment from people who do this
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 02:09:44 AM »

I don't think it can really hurt if you pray for your team to win.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 05:40:19 AM »

“Look at me, see how righteous person I am, ain’t I a super good Christian”

I don’t have a problem with public prayers, but public prayers which put individuals in center is counter to everything Christianity represent.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »

People should be free to pray wherever and whenever they want.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 06:08:38 AM »

wait...are these people praying for a win....as a group?  'cause that would be weird.  All group prayer I've seen at sporting events has been of the "dear Lord, thank you for letting us be healthy enough to play and keep us that way while we play.  In Jesus name we pray, amen".  People that pray together for a victory over the other team are doing it wrong and I have my doubts that that happens very often.
The other team is also Christian. How does that make sense? It isnt like they are praying to Chaak the rain god or to Odin.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 06:19:33 AM »

The other team is also Christian. How does that make sense? It isnt like they are praying to Chaak the rain god or to Odin.

if they are praying for good health and a good game, it makes perfect sense to them.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 07:55:41 AM »

Everybody who stages their prayers to be seen of men (like the Pharisees did) is a horrible disgusting person, and they make me sick to my stomach. But they have every right to be that way in this country. You're free to degenerate your religion and drag it through the mud if you want to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies