The Coming Food Catastrope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:57:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  The Coming Food Catastrope
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Coming Food Catastrope  (Read 1476 times)
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:14:34 AM »

What is Biden doing about this one? In the interim, we all need to become vegans. To eat beef is to starve the children.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/05/19/the-coming-food-catastrophe
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 12:55:06 PM »

You are going to have a global wheat shortage and shortage of cooking oils just from the war so I’m not sure how going vegan would solve anything
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 01:20:31 PM »

You are going to have a global wheat shortage and shortage of cooking oils just from the war so I’m not sure how going vegan would solve anything

Wheat isn't really used as an animal protein substitute the way soy + peanuts are
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »

Well the point is that animals are fed grains which is a relatively "inefficient" way of making food. It takes like  a 5:1 ratio  or something similar .
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 07:51:22 AM »

Well the point is that animals are fed grains which is a relatively "inefficient" way of making food. It takes like  a 5:1 ratio  or something similar .
Aren’t insects super good for that? My case that we should incentivize insect consumption continues to grow.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 04:28:22 PM »

Aren’t insects super good for that? My case that we should incentivize insect consumption continues to grow.

Its not that much more efficient than chicken . I will not eat the bugs  nor live in a pod.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 01:12:42 AM »

Its not that much more efficient than chicken . I will not eat the bugs  nor live in a pod.
Why not?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 05:12:26 PM »

Livestock almost exclusively eat the parts of the plant that are inedible to humans. Combine that with the fact that animal foods are so much more protein and micronutrient dense than staple crops it’s not even funny, it’s clear that we can’t afford not to be omnivores.
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 03:23:24 PM »

Well the point is that animals are fed grains which is a relatively "inefficient" way of making food. It takes like  a 5:1 ratio  or something similar .

Its not that much more efficient than chicken . I will not eat the bugs  nor live in a pod.
Why not?

Idk where the meme comes from either. The efficiency benefits of eating crickets vs chicken don't necessarily come from feed to flesh conversation ratios.

https://exoprotein.com/blogs/blog/crickets-vs-chicken-we-re-missing-the-point

A lot has been made of a recent study by two UC Davis researchers, published in the journal PLOS ONE. The study, based on raising crickets on various feeds, shows two things:

• Crickets fed a given weight of poultry feed produce slightly more protein than chickens do.
  • Crickets fed a given weight of concentrated food waste produce significantly less protein than chickens fed the same weight of poultry feed.

Beyond the environmental benefits of saving energy, water, and food, cricket farms are far more flexible. A cricket farm producing tons of protein per day can be sited in a big city; there’s no noise or smell, so you wouldn’t even know it’s there. This means all the benefits of local farming: fewer food miles, fresher produce and less food waste.

Incidentally, a shed full of chickens produces huge amounts of manure. Runoff from chicken farms pollutes groundwater, rivers, and the sea. Instead of manure, crickets produce “frass”. It’s dry and clean, and it doesn’t smell. It works great as fertilizer, too.

When chickens are fully grown, they’re driven to a slaughterhouse. They’re killed, butchered and processed, then transported by refrigerated truck to wherever they’re eaten. The process is dirty, expensive, and inhumane, generating carbon dioxide and huge amounts of waste.

For crickets, harvesting is much more simple. They’re cooled until their metabolism stops, then dehydrated and ground into flour. Once dehydrated, they’re like jerky: they stay fresh at room temperature and don’t require refrigeration. Unlike chickens, the whole body is used, so there’s almost zero waste.

So, in addition to being better at eating poultry food than chickens are, crickets use far less energy and water, generate minimal pollution and can be raised and processed close to where they’re used. Beyond protein conversion efficiency, these are huge arguments for why crickets are a sustainable crop.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 04:15:03 PM »

I for one think every human being should be entitled to at least (1) gelatinous protein bar 3 times daily produced by grounding down insects and mixing with other basic nutrients. I definitely did not get this from a movie, and definitely not one about some hypothetical train run by slave labor in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Leo
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »

41.9% of Americans are OBESE.

The food catastrophe already happened.  You just weren't paying attention.
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »

I mean obese people can definitely starve to death from lack of micronutrients and muscle wasting. Hope no one here or their loved ones ever have to experience that

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 02:55:26 PM »

An under-appreciated aspect of this problem is that we eat a lot of flesh meat and are wasteful in regard to eating organs, you know, the most nutrient rich parts of the animal easier to cook and handle for less energy wasted. I’ve seen people jeer and refuse to eat any part of the animal aside from muscle meat.

Lowering the importance of mammal meat in the average diet is for the best, but insects cannot bridge that gap in its entirety and compared to more stringent reforms of our food processing system is chump change. Beans and tubers rich in protein are probably a better bet and would be best to use instead of carbohydrates which just gets processed into sugars making us all unhealthy and gain weight.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »

I would simply abolish ethanol and use Iowa to make useful products instead.
Sadly the entire state runs on that industry, and due to the primaries that industry has exceptionally high power.
Leo
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 10:44:42 AM »

I mean obese people can definitely starve to death from lack of micronutrients and muscle wasting. Hope no one here or their loved ones ever have to experience that

Huh

Groceries costing 15% more is not going to lead obese people to not eat for a YEAR.  What's wrong with you?  They can just eat 15% less and be healthier.
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »

Huh

Groceries costing 15% more is not going to lead obese people to not eat for a YEAR.  What's wrong with you?  They can just eat 15% less and be healthier.

Groceries costing 15% more means healthy food and fresh produce also costs at least 15% more, which makes it less accessible to poorer people who in the US are statistically more likely to be obese.

I know this is Joe Rogan but the guy he’s interviewing is legit (did a TED talk on stress and lifestyle diseases) and not the type who’d prescribe horse tranquilizers or dewormers

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies