Mass Shootings debate thread: What public policy options should be pursued? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Mass Shootings debate thread: What public policy options should be pursued? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass Shootings debate thread: What public policy options should be pursued?  (Read 1020 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: May 25, 2022, 08:01:50 AM »

Every time I post in a thread about gun violence, someone inevitably asks me "sO whAt'S yOUr soLuTioN!??!?!" as if it's a gotcha. I have posted several potential solutions to gun violence on threads like these, none of which involve regulating guns directly (because that is both unconstitutional and a fool's errand):

- Eliminate school funding based on property taxes. Fund all schools proportionately to the size of their student body, with some exceptions for geographic requirements. This will provide more economic opportunity to underfunded inner-city schools.

- Increased rigor in public education. Raise the reading, writing, and mathematics standards at all grade levels. Enforce national guidelines that will hold kids back in only the specific classes they have not passed. Do not eliminate end-of-year testing or standardized tests.

- Allow parents to choose where to send their kids. Eliminate school districts. If a school loses too much of its student body to be viable, its administration will be fired and the buildings will be put under the control of a more successful school.

- Increase access to safe and legal abortion so that poor families are not saddled with caring for kids they cannot afford.

- Pardon all nonviolent drug offenders.

- Institute a negative income tax to encourage people to work, and to give low earners more economic security.

- Increase police funding, but require body cameras for officers and prioritize hiring officers to work in communities they are familiar with.

- A stock option buying program for workers who were displaced by automation.

I'm not asking anyone to respond to these individually, and I don't care if you agree with me on them or not. But contrary to popular belief, pro-2nd Amendment people do have ideas and solutions to this problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies