Do you think Clinton would've been President had Cruz stayed in the race?

(1/1)

Plankton5165:
Had Cruz stayed in the running for the Republican nomination even after losing the Indiana primary, do you think Clinton would've won the general election?

I'd say it's possible, because Trump got to focus on bashing the Democrats while the Democrats had to focus on bashing each other. This may be why the Democrats won in 2020 because of Bernie Sanders dropping out shortly after Gabbard did.

The Democrats didn't stand a chance in the 2016 race.

TransfemmeGoreVidal:
Not if he’d still lost the nomination. If he had won the nomination though I think she would have won. He had zero of the crossover appeal that Trump did and would have done poorly with both suburbanites and the white working class. She definitely would have held the blue wall and possibly won PA by a wider margin then Obama had either time.

If my soul was made of stone:
Quote from: Asenath Waite on October 06, 2022, 05:22:57 PM

possibly won PA by a wider margin then Obama had either time

Obama '08 won Pennsylvania by a little over ten points. Hillary '16 was not going to claw back that many Hillary '08 dead-enders who blunted his gains in Pennsylvania amidst the specific malaise that set in around the summer of 2014, or turbocharge #trendz that much.

Sir Mohamed:

Not if he’d still lost the nomination. If he had won the nomination though I think she would have won. He had zero of the crossover appeal that Trump did and would have done poorly with both suburbanites and the white working class. She definitely would have held the blue wall and possibly won PA by a wider margin then Obama had either time.

Wasn't his path to a delagate majority already mathematically eliminated after NY primary? So even before the IN primary in early May.

So very doubtful, imho, Trump would still have won the nomination outright. Even if the RNC was kind of a mess, I doubt that would have changed much since he already seemed DOA in the summer.

TransfemmeGoreVidal:
Quote from: Sir Mohamed 🇺🇸 🇺🇦 on October 08, 2022, 10:31:29 AM

Wasn't his path to a delagate majority already mathematically eliminated after NY primary? So even before the IN primary in early May.

So very doubtful, imho, Trump would still have won the nomination outright. Even if the RNC was kind of a mess, I doubt that would have changed much since he already seemed DOA in the summer.

Yeah he only stayed in thinking the party would throw their weight behind him to stop Trump. It seemed plausible at the time but looking back I think they realized that even if both were seeming long-shots at the time they’d still have a slightly better chance of winning with Trump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index