Which series of major party votes over the last 6 presidential elections is the most uncommon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which series of major party votes over the last 6 presidential elections is the most uncommon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which series of major party votes over the last 6 presidential elections is the most uncommon?  (Read 1479 times)
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2022, 03:01:16 PM »

I.e. which has the fewest voters.

I'm leaning towards something like Gore-Bush-McCain-Obama-Clinton-Trump. Bush vote implies pro war, but that fails to explain Trump in 2020. I don't think you'd get many people like that.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 12:35:24 AM »

It's probably Bush-Kerry-McCain-Obama-Clinton-Trump. Basically a voter that swings against the national trend every time. It's also a fairly incoherent voting pattern in its own right.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 07:05:45 AM »

It's probably Bush-Kerry-McCain-Obama-Clinton-Trump. Basically a voter that swings against the national trend every time. It's also a fairly incoherent voting pattern in its own right.

This is the really hard part to explain.  Are they pro- or anti-war LOL?  And the 2012 vote rules out personal animosity against Obama.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »

Bush-Kerry-McCain-Romney-Trump-Trump
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »

That's not totally farfetched.  An isolationist who will only vote for white men.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »

I'm leaning towards something like Gore-Bush-McCain-Obama-Clinton-Trump. Bush vote implies pro war, but that fails to explain Trump in 2020. I don't think you'd get many people like that.
Orthodox from NYC
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 12:22:19 PM »

This is the really hard part to explain.  Are they pro- or anti-war LOL?  And the 2012 vote rules out personal animosity against Obama.

They're a liberal Arizonan who McCain won the vote of because of favourite son effect.
Or they don't even need to be Arizonan; they could just be a moderate centre-left Democrat who likes how McCain is a 'maverick.'
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

That's not totally farfetched.  An isolationist who will only vote for white men.

Or a conservative Massachusettser who really wants another Massachusettser as president (lazy answer, I know).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »

Gore/Kerry/McCain/Obama/Clinton/Trump is also pretty hard to explain.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 08:20:28 PM »

Bush > Kerry > McCain > Obama > Clinton > Trump would appear on the surface to be fairly strange. 
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 12:39:28 AM »

The anti-bellwether- Gore/Kerry/McCain/Romney/Clinton/Trump- is a classic.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »

The anti-bellwether- Gore/Kerry/McCain/Romney/Clinton/Trump- is a classic.

Please keep in mind that this is not a genuine anti-bellwether voting history, as in two cases said person voted along with the plurality of the electorate.
There is moreover quite an easily comprehensible reason as to why he voted like that:
probably an ancestral Southern Democrat who despised Obama and ultimately turned his back on the Democrats once they became the party of the Antifa, them woke SJWs and BLM.

Gore/Kerry/McCain/Obama/Clinton/Trump is also pretty hard to explain.

LOL. That's literally my (hypothetical) voting history.

At this juncture, I'd like to recommend my ultimate personal voting history survey to anyone who hasn't voted in the poll yet.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 02:28:53 PM »

Rural Hispanic small business owner from Arizona who was pro-Iraq War and anti Covid lockdowns.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 03:29:57 PM »

Somerset County, Maryland, was Gore-Bush-McCain-Obama-Trump-Trump, with a GOP swing from '16 to '20, so this is theoretically possible in certain quantities there although the county is racially polarized enough that differing turnout dynamics between elections probably explain more of it (especially McCain-Obama, given the behavior of similar counties such as Nash, NC, or Warren, MS). The very isolated and idiosyncratic community of Smith Island, however, is known for Haredi-type bloc voting in massive swings, which makes me wish I could find election results for there from before just what DRA has to see if there would be any basis to that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »

This is the really hard part to explain.  Are they pro- or anti-war LOL?  And the 2012 vote rules out personal animosity against Obama.

They're a liberal Arizonan who McCain won the vote of because of favourite son effect.
Or they don't even need to be Arizonan; they could just be a moderate centre-left Democrat who likes how McCain is a 'maverick.'

But why would someone like that vote Trump in 2020?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »

But why would someone like that vote Trump in 2020?

I was considering only the Kerry-McCain-Obama aspect of the vote, since that’s what Skill and Chance said he found especially baffling. Admittedly, my Kerry-McCain-Obama voter, given that they’re liberal, would probably go on to vote Clinton and then Biden.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 06:56:30 PM »

Bush vote implies pro war, but that fails to explain Trump in 2020.
I don’t understand how you could view the man who withdrew from the Iran deal and killed Solemeini as the less warlike candidate.
DS0816
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 05:29:30 PM »

Election 2016.

For the U.S. Popular Vote, in a year in which the Democrats had the presidency (following two terms won in 2008 and 2012 by Barack Obama), the presidency flipped Republican to Donald Trump.

U.S. Popular Vote went from Democratic +3.86, in 2012, to Democratic +2.09, in 2016.

2016 Republican pickup winner Donald Trump flipped +6 states and Maine’s 2nd Congressional District.

The 2012-to-2016 national shift, in the U.S. Popular Vote, was Republican +1.77.

This is not a part of a normal, electoral structure.

Usually a pickup-winning party, for the presidency of the United States, wins a net gain of approximately +1 state with each percentage point nationally shifted. In 2004 and 2008, the Democrats—with losing and then winning—went from –2.46 to +7.26, a 2004-to-2008 national shift of Democratic +9.72. The 2008 Democratic pickup winner Barack Obama flipped +9 states and Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District.

Going by whole-number estimates, and with normal pattern, 2016 Republican pickup winner Donald Trump would have prevailed in the U.S. Popular Vote by +2.

(By the way: Same margin would have been experienced by 2000 Republican pickup George W. Bush.)

Another way of looking at it: You don’t typically win a party-pickup of the presidency of the United States by nationally shifting only +1.77 percentage points and, yet, succeed in having flipped +6 states (four of which are Top 10 populous states). And consider 2020 Democratic pickup winner Joe Biden. He went from 2016 Hillary Clinton’s +2.09 to +4.45, a national shift of +2.36, and won pickups of +5 states (three of which are Top 10 populous states) as well as Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District. So, doing some numbers adjustments (but not with intent of changing facts) helps with a better understanding.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 04:13:43 PM »

I could see someone sort of like that. A hawkish Latino veteran from Florida, voted for Bush in 2000 due to anger over the Elian Gonzalez case, Kerry in 2004 because he thought that a veteran would be a better wartime leader and McCain in 08 for the same reason. Voted Obama in 2012 and Clinton in 16 due to the GOP moving too far right on immigration for his taste but Trump in 2020 over lockdowns and red baiting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies