Imaginary conservative (sorta) Democrat vs liberal Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:29:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Imaginary conservative (sorta) Democrat vs liberal Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Imaginary conservative (sorta) Democrat vs liberal Republican  (Read 576 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »

Todd Edwards is a US Senator for Iowa whose positions include two-tier universal healthcare, trade protectionism, paid family leave, a living wage, free preschool and community college, banning elective abortion after a heartbeat is detected, and gun rights.

[map]
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »

Edwards sounds neat, I wouldn't call him a conservative aside from the heartbeat ban part (which, and maybe this is me projecting my own position on the matter, but I think you can appeal to a majority of progressives without going full-on "subsidize third trimester abortions, life begins at birth"). Actually, he's basically a time-displaced New Dealer. I also doubt the electorate would react to Fifth Party System-style candidates that strongly, the parties they're heading and downballot races wouldn't change around them. On environmentalism, for instance, Democrats will be associated with green energy no matter what Edwards or Baker say and West Virginia, Montana, etc. will turn out for Baker.

A few question marks- what's his stance on immigration and Cuban relations? He's probably strong enough to counteract Democrats' post-Farm Crisis bleed in the Midwest for at least one more election, but I doubt he has the hawkishness necessary to win Cubans and Venezuelans and therefore Florida back over. I'm guessing he has a Sanders-style position on immigration, where he sees it as a symptom of neoliberalism that hurts both domestic labor and exploited immigrant laborers. Probably a wash for Nevada and Arizona in that he's not super keen on Mexican-American outreach but he doesn't alienate them either.

Basically, back to 2012. Tongue

Senator Todd Edwards (D-IA) / Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) ✓
Governor Charlie Baker (R-MD) Governor Eric Holcomb (R-IN)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 07:16:57 AM »

He supports a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants already in the country, and supports a system of work permits and strict licensing for employers, to prevent immigrants from depressing American wages. Edwards also opposes the Cuban embargo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies