what is the best doors album
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:11:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  what is the best doors album
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: what is the best doors album
the doors

strange days

waiting for the sun

the soft parade

morrison hotel

l.a. woman

other voices

full circle

an american prayer

absolutely live

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: what is the best doors album  (Read 260 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:43:01 PM »

1. soft parade - 10/10
2. an american prayer - 9.7/10
3. l.a. woman - 9.3/10
4. the doors - 9.1/10
5. waiting for the sun - 7.8/10
6. strange days - 7.6/10
7. morrison hotel - 7.3/10
8. other voices - 7.0/10
9. full circle - 5.5/10

haven't heard absolutely live
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 01:27:42 AM »

The first album is invariably the best.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:34:27 AM »

Either The Doors or LA Woman.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:17:37 PM »

L.A. Woman (chosen kind of on a whim), followed in my book by Strange Days (which is probably my more long-standing favorite).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 09:18:37 PM »

1. soft parade - 10/10

3. l.a. woman - 9.3/10
4. the doors - 9.1/10
6. strange days - 7.6/10
8. other voices - 7.0/10
9. full circle - 5.5/10

Pure f#cking blasphemy.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:56 AM »

1. soft parade - 10/10

3. l.a. woman - 9.3/10
4. the doors - 9.1/10
6. strange days - 7.6/10
8. other voices - 7.0/10
9. full circle - 5.5/10

Pure f#cking blasphemy.

prayer-petitioner detected
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 05:27:00 AM »

I actually rather enjoy the post-Morrison ones.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 11:31:18 PM »

Oh god. I do know where to begin, but wow. This is gonna be difficult. Anything without Morrison is out. I’m not a live music fan either, so that knocks 4 out. Admittedly, I haven’t listened to the last 4 on principle. I might make time to though just to see if there’s anything good there.

1. The Doors. I’ll be cliche and go with their eponymous first album. There’s just so many good songs there. It might not have my favorite Doors songs, but when combined, it has the best set.

2. Strange Days: The last several songs are great. Moonlight Drive is the original Doors song that brought Ray Manzarek. I Can’t See Your Face in my Mind is good. When the Music is Over is one of their great, long songs in the same vein as The End and LA Woman (the song).

3. L.A. Woman: The album’s eponymous song is my absolute favorite Doors song. Love Her Madly and L’America are good. Riders on the Storm is great too. With L.A. Woman, you get two great long songs where their weirdness really shines.

4. Waiting for the Sun: There’s good ones here, but nothing that truly stands out. It’s like placing fourth in the Olympics. Sure, you don’t have a medal, but you’re still fourth place in the world. Oddly enough given my rating, it’s the one that I have the entire album of on my phone. A bunch of 8s out of 10, which is still very good in my book.

5. Morrison Hotel: Peace Frog, Roadhouse Blues, and Waiting for the Sun are good, the rest are meh.

6. The Soft Parade: Can’t say I’m a fan of most anything here. Touch Me is the only one really worth listening to imo.
7-10 in any order on general principle: Absolutely Live, Other Voices, Full Circle, and An American Prayer

I will say that Weird Al’s Craigslist is an honorary Doors song. He even got Ray Manzarek to do the keyboards. The musical style is a perfect match (thanks in part to Manzarek). But it’s not just the music. It’s the rather smashed together stanzas that don’t really flow together that really shows that Weird Al understands The Doors.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »

6. The Soft Parade: Can’t say I’m a fan of most anything here. Touch Me is the only one really worth listening to imo.

come on, really? shaman's blues? the title track? tell all the people? i mean i understand how someone could rank it in the lower tier considering just how amazingly consistent the doors' discography really is but to say touch me is the only highlight kind of sounds to me like deliberately missing the point, tbh

i agree with many of your other takes including the weird al thing
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »

come on, really? shaman's blues? the title track? tell all the people? i mean i understand how someone could rank it in the lower tier considering just how amazingly consistent the doors' discography really is but to say touch me is the only highlight kind of sounds to me like deliberately missing the point, tbh

The title track on Soft Parade always felt like a drunken imitation of The End or When The Music's Over to me. It's been a very long time since I've listened to the rest of the album but my impression is of forgettable mid-period stuff along with Waiting for the Sun (the album not the song).

As for me, I'm the lone vote for Morrison Hotel so far. It's probably not as good technically as their eponymous album, Strange Days or LA Woman but I love it all the same, and it feels like a perfect balance between blues and psychedelic. Peace Frog -> Blue Sunday is an all-time highlight.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 02:05:40 PM »

It appears I'm the only one who voted An American Prayer thus far because "Ghost Song" is my favorite Doors song of all time.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 06:23:11 PM »

I gave the first five albums (trying to find an original copy of LA Woman since Youtube Music just has the 50th anniversary edition) a relisten. From Soft Parade, I did like Wishful Sinful and Tell All the People. I’d probably move it into a tie with Morrison Hotel.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies