Who would theoretically vote the Democratic Party from Andrew Jackson to Joe Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:47:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who would theoretically vote the Democratic Party from Andrew Jackson to Joe Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would theoretically vote the Democratic Party from Andrew Jackson to Joe Biden?  (Read 958 times)
Yu748Girl83
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:54:24 PM »

Who would?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »

Lower middle class whites who are not very religious, in urban areas, and part of labor unions.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 10:32:52 PM »

Working class union members, Irish-Americans, college professors from the south
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 01:21:32 AM »

As far as elected politicians go probably Biden himself and Ralph Northam.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:51:11 AM »

I think all the Dem presidents of the 20th century would've. A case could be made against Wilson but he adapted with the times and ruled as a progressive despite his prior bourbon views and while he was a white supremacist, he tried to win black support when he ran in 1912.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 01:04:59 PM »

Nearly Carter, but I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for Nixon in '72, given that he was "Anybody But McGovern" during the Democratic primaries/convention.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 01:26:50 PM »

I think all the Dem presidents of the 20th century would've. A case could be made against Wilson but he adapted with the times and ruled as a progressive despite his prior bourbon views and while he was a white supremacist, he tried to win black support when he ran in 1912.

I could see Wilson being similar to Elizabeth Warren if he was alive today weirdly enough. Both Ivy League professors originally from the south that built their political careers as reform oriented progressives in a northern state. In the same way Wilson was nominated as a compromise candidate between the Bourbons and Bryanites people talked about Warren as potentially serving the same unifying role between establishment Democrats and Bernie supporters.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 04:48:31 PM »

Working class, Northern urban skilled laborers are maybe the one thread that links the current party all the way back to Jefferson's time.

I tend to think that white Southern intellectuals (such as Warren and Wilson) would have generally favored the Whigs (and their predecessors/successors in 1828, 1832, 1856, and 1860) prior to the Civil War. I think there were also relatively few Catholics in the U.S. prior to the 1840s.

To be a little pedantic, everyone in Confederate states would be disqualified since they couldn't vote for McClellan in 1864 (some states also didn't participate or hold a popular vote in 1868). Being even more pedantic about it, we can rule out anyone from South Carolina, which didn't hold a popular vote until after the Civil War.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »

I always wondered if Woodrow Wilson won a plurality of the African American support in 1912. I know he likely won the African American vote in Memphis and Omaha, as African Americans in both of those cities voted majority Democratic since the 1880s due to the fact that the Democratic Party machines in those cities targeted African American voters for support and patronage.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 12:21:20 AM »

I don't understand this question. Are you asking about a "theoretical" guy who was born in, at the latest, the year 1811; the first presidential election he could have voted was in 1832; he voted for Andrew Jackson on that occasion, and for the next 188 years he kept on voting Democrat in every presidential election? A "theoretical" man who voted for Joe Biden when he was at least 209 years old, and that vote for Biden was his 48th consecutive vote for the Democratic nominee? That's what you mean by "theoretical"?

Okay, I'll bite. I think that man was told, when he was a teenager, that the Democratic Party will always "stand for the people" - he was told that the word "Democrat" was derived from demos, which means "the people" - and for the rest of his life he never found any reason to disbelieve it (because he didn't try particularly hard to look for any evidence that contradicted it).

Now, in the same vein as your question, here's a "theoretical" question of my own: If a (roughly) one-year-old baby voted in 2004 for John Kerry, would that child continue voting Democrat for the next four elections (Obama twice, Clinton, and Biden)?

Theoretically?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 05:48:11 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2022, 05:56:20 AM by Asenath Waite »

Another probably underrated group, working class French-Canadians from Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. Even in the days when Northern New England was solidly Republican (though New Hampshire was never really solid R) they tended to be the most Democratic leaning group and though they've trended R in the Trump era there's still residual D support.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »

I have trouble seeing Biden voting for Douglas over Lincoln.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »

I have trouble seeing Biden voting for Douglas over Lincoln.

I could see him voting for Douglas. He may have crossed over to vote for Lincoln in 64 though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 04:08:13 PM »

Horatio Seymour wouldn't be a good vote for anyone who didn't want to be labeled a white supremacist. It's funny how different he and Horace Greeley were despite being nominees only 4 years apart.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »

Horatio Seymour wouldn't be a good vote for anyone who didn't want to be labeled a white supremacist. It's funny how different he and Horace Greeley were despite being nominees only 4 years apart.

I suppose a consistent elitist might have voted for him because they’d rather have “experience” of any sort then a military man that was a political newcomer. Same sort of person that disliked Trump not for his politics but because they thought he was uncouth.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 04:29:22 PM »

Immortals are of course a classic Democratic constituency.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies