Supreme Court limits review of factual disputes in immigration cases (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:21:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court limits review of factual disputes in immigration cases (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court limits review of factual disputes in immigration cases  (Read 315 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: May 18, 2022, 05:00:46 AM »

This isn't the first time Gorsuch voted to the left of Roberts, is it? I think he sided with the liberals on some Native American cases as well.

Gorsuch is probably the biggest defender of tribal law on the Court (no doubt coming from his time on the Tenth Circuit, which includes Oklahoma). The big case you're thinking of was the McGirt decision back in 2020. It was written by Gorsuch and joined by the then-four liberals. There's a current case pending that will likely chip away at it since Ginsburg has been replaced by Barrett.

This case is somewhat interesting as it's a straight-up opinion versus a single dissent. Gorsuch wrote the dissent and was joined in full by the three liberals. I haven't read through his dissent, but I do know that Gorsuch is not one to give much deference to federal agencies. In this case though, even the federal government agreed Patel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies