Should Republicans become less anti abortion for political reasons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:48:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Republicans become less anti abortion for political reasons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should republicans become less extreme for political reasons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Should Republicans become less anti abortion for political reasons?  (Read 827 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2022, 06:37:13 AM »

The backlash to the GOP’s actions is likely to be severe and might be political suicide in the longer run. Could a more “middle ground” position be attempted instead given most people are not religious hardliners who never use birth control?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »

Honestly yes. The religious right isn't as powerful as it thinks/pretends it is, and even if the Republicans moderated a bit on abortion, they'd stay in line since they really have no other alternative options and nowhere else to go. The extremist pro-life stance on abortion is really out of touch with moderates and can't exactly help in winning their votes. Moderate a little bit and a bunch of moderate swing voters would be likelier to vote GOP at the cost of a very small percentage of the religious right staying home. Even if you are genuinely extremely pro-life it's obviously much better to support the moderately pro-life party over the rabidly pro-choice party. Besides which there are reasons other than abortion the religious right votes Republican (homophobia, transphobia, social authoritarianism, wanting to narrow the gap between church and state) and I'm assuming the GOP would still be very conservative on those issues. So most of the religious right would still turn out, and they'd vote just as Republican as they did previously.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »

They haven't needed to yet. A political system that was designed "to preserve the natural order of things" is already doing a great job in bailing them out.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 04:48:24 AM »

I can't and won't try to dictate to an entire political party what they should do. I'll just note that, if the upcoming Dobbs decision does come out in favor of upholding the law and overturning Roe, then there is likely going to be an increase in the amount of competition between pro-choice and pro-life Republicans in the primary elections in many states in the coming years/decades. I can think of two reasons why pro-choice Republican voters have mostly kept quiet and inactive for the past 30 years or so, trying to not make waves about their views on the abortion issue.
1) They have believed Roe was pretty much so sacrosanct that it would never be overturned. When Anthony Kennedy and David Souter were appointed between 30 and 35 years ago, they might have inclined to overturn Roe, but they both ended up deciding, in 1992, not to overturn it (PP v. Casey), and maybe pro-choice Republican voters still cling to the prospect that it is not going to be overturned this year either, as maybe Roberts and either Gorsuch or Kavanaugh will decide to do the same thing that Kennedy and Souter did in 1992.
2) They disagree with the Court's interpretation of the Constitution in Roe and Casey and they do think the issue of abortion should be returned to the states. They are waiting for that to happen, and once it does, then their votes in GOP primaries will be more important.

With either of those two perspectives, pro-choice Republican voters will likely become more political energized when/if the Dobbs decision overturns Roe and returns the issue of abortion to the states. I think a majority of Republican politicians will still remain pro-life in the coming years, but the party will become increasingly divided about the issue, like they used to be.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 11:26:47 AM »

They won't have much of a choice after a while.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »

I can't and won't try to dictate to an entire political party what they should do. I'll just note that, if the upcoming Dobbs decision does come out in favor of upholding the law and overturning Roe, then there is likely going to be an increase in the amount of competition between pro-choice and pro-life Republicans in the primary elections in many states in the coming years/decades. I can think of two reasons why pro-choice Republican voters have mostly kept quiet and inactive for the past 30 years or so, trying to not make waves about their views on the abortion issue.
1) They have believed Roe was pretty much so sacrosanct that it would never be overturned. When Anthony Kennedy and David Souter were appointed between 30 and 35 years ago, they might have inclined to overturn Roe, but they both ended up deciding, in 1992, not to overturn it (PP v. Casey), and maybe pro-choice Republican voters still cling to the prospect that it is not going to be overturned this year either, as maybe Roberts and either Gorsuch or Kavanaugh will decide to do the same thing that Kennedy and Souter did in 1992.
2) They disagree with the Court's interpretation of the Constitution in Roe and Casey and they do think the issue of abortion should be returned to the states. They are waiting for that to happen, and once it does, then their votes in GOP primaries will be more important.

With either of those two perspectives, pro-choice Republican voters will likely become more political energized when/if the Dobbs decision overturns Roe and returns the issue of abortion to the states. I think a majority of Republican politicians will still remain pro-life in the coming years, but the party will become increasingly divided about the issue, like they used to be.

Maybe if orthodoxy was opened up a bit, I would feel more free to exercise my right to vote rather than simply giving my vote to a party that has been struggling to inspire confidence. Then again, maybe if Dobbs overturns Roe, it would get Democrats to start taking politics seriously again. Silver linings. Or not.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »

Maybe once stagflation calms down.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »

One of the worst political decisions the GOP could make is to become more pro-abortion.  It would cripple the party on a national level, even with the kind of polarization of the last decade and change.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »

Yes and they should add a joint to the elephant logo to appeal to the youths.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 03:23:07 AM »

Nope. Some fundamental principles have to trump political considerations, and defending the right of the unborn to live is certainly one of those.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 07:42:11 AM »

Yes and they should add a joint to the elephant logo to appeal to the youths.
I like that idea. Also, tone down the religion stuff as less religious conservatives might not feel comfortable with the “God” stuff thrown around all the time even if they are personally so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies