French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:29:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux  (Read 28945 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: May 17, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »

Is she ex-PS like her boss?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 07:51:23 AM »

Surely almost everybody knows that Melenchon is pretty lousy on stuff like that.

It isn't why he wins most of his support, though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 06:08:57 AM »

Golf is Satan's "sport" - which makes this as about incrediby based as can be Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »

I don't think anyone who still supports En Marche can be considered meaningfully "left" tbh.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 08:13:28 AM »

Have to agree with pb on this one I'm afraid.

Foreign policy positions are important, and yes often a weakness for too many on the left.

But they aren't *everything*.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 07:32:49 AM »

As the kidz say, based.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 08:41:17 AM »

In their own ways, both Macron and Melenchon seem pretty irreplaceable. Of course, this is always likely to be a problem if you have moved so much towards "boss" politics as France currently has - strong party systems are often criticised, but they also have their uses.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 03:17:16 PM »

Most moderate French protesters

Where were these people when Trump was our President?

In France Tongue

Jokes aside, I still remain thoroughly unimpressed with the French Left right now. It seems both politically and culturally they are enthralled by performance and actions that have the desired 'vibes,'

Well this is hardly just true of the French Left is it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 05:32:39 AM »

Of course there is a *chance* - quite frankly I am if anything a bit surprised that at least attempted assassinations on politicians aren't rather more common than they actually are.

I think that most French would settle for him quitting in disgrace, though.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 08:06:32 AM »

Is there any particular reason why you chose to frontload an otherwise decent series of points with an irrelevant personal attack, Zinneke?

It is not a personal attack on Antonio, it is a personal attack on Antonio's political views. I have no doubt Antonio is a thoroughly decent individual with a strong moral code. You can tell this because he actually cares.

Fair enough, but I still think we're in danger of getting distracted by the Playboy aspect, which up until now no one here, including Antonio, has really focused on. I'm not sure why you tried to foreground it given that you don't seem to have an especially high opinion of the focus on frivolous showboating in French politics right now either.

Well I am a fan of playing devil's advocate, so the bulk of my post relating to Schiappa's stunt was defending her as she did not pose to talk about 49.3, she posed to talk about the serious issue of women being harassed on the street for dressing like they want to dress. And while I don't buy the French Right's paranoia over this being about islam (it is in reality about young men), I also criticize the way the Fancophone Left doesn't want to actually tackle the paternalist structures in certain communities that result in women being harassed in the street. So in essence if Schiappa's stunt had actually worked, it would have been worth it.

It failed because she not only decided to tattoo 49.3 on her chest as a troll, but also because it seems a lot of people who would otherwise consider themselves progressive on social issues think that because she is Macronista, and attractive, she can be subject to ridicule.

When Sanna Marin was posing with a decolleté, she was criticised by right-wing bad faith actors and defended to the hilt over it by some here even on the Left, but when Schiappa does it, suddenly it's...open season? Yet Sanna Marin wasn't even promoting a valid reason for posing, she was just getting the horny points in and posing to be the nice bland social democatic wondergirl while the real politics happens behind her and she was punished in the end.

I agree that that the "frivolous showboating" and overall "peopleisation" is a net negative, hence why I went off on a tangent about the return of a party political system as opposed to personalist vehicles for attention-seeking firebands.

If you mean the recent election result, she increased her party's seat tally.

(which is rare for an incumbent PM in Finland)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 06:50:38 AM »

Thankfully he is term limited. But I don't know if I have hope that any other candidate who is even slightly sane can beat Le Pen next time.

Le Pen always polls better in midterm, though?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 11:15:33 AM »

Disappointing, but not surprising. The Constitutional Council is a joke, but tbh it wasn't really their job to clean up Macron's mess.

Sadly this fight is probably over, but Macron is now weaker than ever, and I doubt he'll be able to 49.3 his way out of the next controversy.

what about the referendum option? Or will the French just riot instead of taking democracy into their own hands?

Referendums will be from this point on just be seen as plebiscites on the government in question (which is obviously the huge debate in every country that doesn't have a culture of referendums). It won't be seen in any capacity as a referendum on the actual issue.

"from this point"?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 08:10:26 AM »

Its notable also that said figure hasn't changed much since 2017.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 10:49:38 AM »

Macron is apparently blaming computer games for these events?

The 1990s called, they want their memes back.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 06:02:07 AM »

Sounds like these riots are a gift from the heavens to Le Pen
The election is 3 years away 🙄

And are things likely to get better by then, or worse?

Starting to think France may need a spell of utterly disastrous FN rule to get it out of their system.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 06:08:23 AM »

Russian propagandists on twitter are trying to make out that there'll be a military coup within 48 hours...I wonder why?

They should be more "concerned" about their homeland in that regard, if anything.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2023, 07:28:08 AM »

NUPES has been finished since after the prior legislative election

As was widely forecast at the time tbf.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2023, 09:40:55 AM »

He's really going off the deep end. Good thing he doesn't have the majority to make constitutional changes.

Is it good? For him, a third election would quickly become a lesson in humility.

I mean, true, but the thing is that that would probably leave us with President Le Pen...

Who was the last to do more than 2 terms, was it actually de Gaulle?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 09:05:00 AM »

"Hamas are not terrorists" is the official line of, amongst others, the Scottish Green party.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 08:54:50 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2023, 09:32:16 AM by CumbrianLefty »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67088547
France's interior minister has banned all pro-Palestinian demonstrations in the country.

In a statement, Gérald Darmanin ordered foreign nationals who break the rules to be "systematically" deported.

The move comes as European governments fear a rise in antisemitism triggered by the Israel-Hamas war.

A more civilized country than America bans all pro Palestine protests.

Gérald Darmanin is the type who would ban all demonstrations of any kind (but police unions) is he could.

So you ban all "pro-Palestine" protests, and they rebadge themselves as (say) "pro-peace" protests.

What then?

Alternatively, don't ban stuff already well covered by existing public order laws.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2023, 08:41:37 AM »

Another 2 people shot dead in Brussels, just for being Swedish, and a teacher killed in France but let's Segway into the hard issue of Moody's financial analysts not voting anymore...

Heh, its actually segue.

Don't normally pick up on typos, but the fact it is a French derived word makes this one irresistible Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-lawmakers-seek-deal-tougher-migration-bill-2023-12-19/

Macron's party has negotiated a more right wing immigration bill after the first one failed. It is now sufficiently right wing enough that a few members from the left wing of Macron's party may vote no but it has gained Le Pens support. The normalization of Le Pen in French politics continues.

Can't see how that could possibly go wrong, at all.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2023, 07:16:03 AM »

TIL that Jacques Delors was still alive at 98. RIP. Also TIL that Martine Aubry is his daughter.

This is more of a UK politics thing, but I wonder how much truth is there to the idea that his 1988 speech to the TUC conference was what caused Thatcher to do 180 and become a die-hard Euroskeptic.

Her famous Bruges speech was just 12 days later, which suggests an obvious correlation. But she had been moving that way for the previous year or two, and said speech had been a while in the making.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 07:29:16 AM »

Must say that I am a bit disappointed with her there, ngl.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 10:57:41 AM »

All rather sad isn't it, but some of us did warn this might happen.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies