Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you believe in the Great Replacement Theory?
Yes (Republican)

No (Republican)

Yes (Democrat)

No (Democrat)

Yes (third party or independent)

No (third party or independent)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?  (Read 4507 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2022, 12:19:43 AM »

I ask because apparently it is now going mainstream within the GOP:

A Fringe Conspiracy Theory, Fostered Online, Is Refashioned by the G.O.P.
Replacement theory, espoused by the suspect in the Buffalo massacre, has been embraced by some right-wing politicians and commentators.

And here is a non-paywall version.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 12:28:38 AM »

I think the guy near Oslo who shot dead 77 people in July 2011 was a big fan.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:31:38 PM »

No lol (Sane, Normal)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »

This.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 09:36:31 PM »

You're hardly a typical Republican though.  At least a third of the country already believes in this racist, nativist conspiracy theory -and many more are open to it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 11:51:53 PM »

You're hardly a typical Republican though.  At least a third of the country already believes in this racist, nativist conspiracy theory -and many more are open to it.

To be fair it's been established that that poll talking about 1/3 of Americans supporting the Great Replacement was actually giving the Great Replacement a pretty broad definition. 1/3 are classified as believers in the Great Replacement, but posters from both parties agreed that you didn't necessarily need to be a Great Replacement believer to answer Yes to a lot of those questions. I'm sure we have a bunch of Great Replacement believers in this country, but thankfully, I think it's safe to say it's at least still below 1/3.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 07:48:13 AM »

The political rhetoric of population displacement has taken such prominence over the past ten years: Colonizers, gentrifiers, illegals, refugees, caravans, changing neighborhood character, and so on. There's a bad moon on the rise.

This brand of demagoguery is the defining feature of post-Obama US politics. There's nothing novel about population replacement, obviously, so the difference seems to be that our national politics are not keeping a lid on these sentiments as effectively as they did for much of the past century or so.
Nothing to disagree with here.
I'll just note this is a sort of insightful contribution I've seen a lot from you over the years. Keep up the good work, man.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 09:50:30 AM »

I am indifferent to the prospect, and as such cannot say I have given it much thought. I have a lot more in common with a religious non-white person than I do a secular white person, and if the country ends up looking more like the former and less like the latter then that works for me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 07:24:26 AM »

This is basically reverse CRT or Lost Cause 2.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 04:44:50 PM »

If Republicans want less minority growth then they should let poor people (who are disproportionately Black/Latino) have access to abortion and contraception.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 06:23:24 PM »

It already happened from 1492 to the late 19th century.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 07:29:36 PM »

no, race does not exist it was made up to divide ppl

it is all a bunch of garbage

we r all human
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 07:46:25 AM »

It already happened from 1492 to the late 19th century.
Or 1788 onwards
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »

Diversity does complicate things in terms of economic status as the system is set up as a zero-sum game and depending on who is in charge it is difficult for certain groups outside of the local power structure to get jobs, from cases like gentrifiers casting out the locals to the disaster in Colorado and the Idaho panhandle where the locals have been disempowered entirely due to people who act like they own the place.

However, the gist of the "Great Replacement Theory" is wrong that the masters of such demographic change are actually anti-white, which means being WASPy and wealthy, and not just anti-worker. Of course the lower end of the White middle class don't actually care about poorer workers of mainly European descent, nor do they offer a world where if they are in charge things will fundamentally change. Places will still get bombed and the government and deviants will still support economic austerity and free flow of drugs and people through as any opposition gets covertly dealt with. And they are just going to bring in swathes of Eastern and South European workers who will be cast out as foreign given time.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 11:05:46 AM »

What percentage of the population in big European cities was of European descent in 1970? What percentage is of European descent now?

Everybody knows demographics in the West are shifting radically due to mass immigration. To call this a "fringe conspiracy theory" is gaslighting in its purest form, not aimed to describe reality in an intellectually honest way but to silence people who don't want this much immigration.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 09:35:34 PM »

What percentage of the population in big European cities was of European descent in 1970? What percentage is of European descent now?

Everybody knows demographics in the West are shifting radically due to mass immigration. To call this a "fringe conspiracy theory" is gaslighting in its purest form, not aimed to describe reality in an intellectually honest way but to silence people who don't want this much immigration.

Setting aside the content of your post, it really bums me out to see a right-winger like yourself use the term "gaslighting" unironically. There's some particularly revolting about reactionary messaging packaged inside liberal rhetorical strategies.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 11:19:59 PM »

Anyone who unironically says “yes” is not just a vile racist, but also a braindead moron.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 11:31:59 PM »

To some extent, this isn't a fringe concept. There has been a common perception "Republicans want cheap labor and Democrats want their votes" and that has been something that I have heard constantly. Once Republicans became defined by Trump and his approach to immigration, the dam burst and a lot of these voters who were either Democrats, disinterested or reluctant Republicans, became Republican base voters.

Now you have the internet and social media, so I would wager this in some form is a mainstream view in rural America at this point.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 11:35:15 PM »

I am indifferent to the prospect, and as such cannot say I have given it much thought. I have a lot more in common with a religious non-white person than I do a secular white person, and if the country ends up looking more like the former and less like the latter then that works for me.

The Reversalist Great Replacement - Conservatives embrace replacement as a means of shifting the country more religious and socially conservative by making it less white.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 11:55:37 PM »

Anyone who unironically says “yes” is not just a vile racist, but also a braindead moron.

This is the problem with all of the people who are "pro-immigration" now a days. There is a self-righteous and self-assurance that more immigration is always the superior answer morally and thus anyone who disagrees is immoral, regardless of the real and direct consequences such a situation has for them, their families and their livelihoods.

When you let in millions of low skilled labor to flood the low skill job sectors (which were already reeling from outsourcing and than later a housing crash, both the result of actions propagated so the financial sector in places like your state could get wealthy by turning working class people into indentured serfs), then the answers they get from above are "dumb hicks need to learn to code/move/stop being racist", the end result is going to be a hostile reaction and an embrace of extreme politicians and irresponsible media crap stirrers who lack a moral compass beyond self-enrichment.

You then wonder why they hate the establishment and follow the first nutcase off a cliff that says what they want to hear.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2022, 08:33:13 AM »

This is the problem with all of the people who are "pro-immigration" now a days. There is a self-righteous and self-assurance that more immigration is always the superior answer morally and thus anyone who disagrees is immoral, regardless of the real and direct consequences such a situation has for them, their families and their livelihoods.

You're deflecting. The question of the poll was not whether "immigration is always the superior answer morally", but whether you believe in the Great Replacement Theory. These are two separate issues.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2022, 05:08:11 PM »

Must you people personalize every critical analysis?

I am not here to be "cross examined" on a "guilty until proven innocent basis".  What the hell I am deflecting from? I have routinely condemned racialized approaches to policy considerations and ethnic/race based nationalism.

The question of the poll was not whether "immigration is always the superior answer morally", but whether you believe in the Great Replacement Theory. These are two separate issues.

Then why is the same response given to both?

It also is worthy to understand why it is gaining steam in the first place, when more mainstream objections to immigration policy are silence under the "muh racist" response, it yields an opening for the "money seeking media crap stirrers" to ride in and give them an "answer".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2022, 08:34:42 AM »

"The great replacement theory" works like many recent conservative propaganda tactics (the CRT and Gender Ideology panics work in much the same way, for example), where the use of a short, quippy slogan is used to convey a set of logical propositions that range from "trivially true" to "deranged conspiratorial lunacy". If accused of propagating the latter, they can always retreat to the former, and use it to act like their opponents are the crazy ones. It's a really ingenious and pernicious use of semantic ambiguity.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 08:48:23 AM »

When a Democrat narrowly wins a race in some sunbelt locale on the backs of immigrant voters, it's given a celebratory article on MSNBC. When a book is written on the so called Emerging Democratic Majority, its given the status of a legitimate theory for over a decade. But when Republicans highlight the same story but with a negative spin, it's called a fringe conspiracy theory, "vile" and "racist". The hypocrisy is so shameless it almost defies belief. Either there is a real disconnect and gaping but genuine lack of self awareness on the center left there, or it is some kind of dishonesty.

The real reason Republicans don't have to worry about this is that Hispanic birth rates have collapsed. The right has turned its attention to a trend ironically at the very moment when it has exhausted itself.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

Yes, but I'm in favor of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies