Are there five votes to declare fetal personhood in a future case?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:47:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are there five votes to declare fetal personhood in a future case?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Are there five votes to declare fetal personhood in a future case?  (Read 3661 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2022, 11:00:19 AM »

It looks like Roberts isn't a vote for fetal personhood. Are there five votes for it or not?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 11:35:34 PM »

It looks like Roberts isn't a vote for fetal personhood. Are there five votes for it or not?

Yes. Is there a justice willing to put their name on such an opinion and possibly become a pariah outside of certain right-wing circles? I'm not as certain about that.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 01:18:55 AM »

No, and anyone voting yes needs to get off the internet.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »

No, likely not, but I think it's closer than most think. Thomas is the only one I'd consider a sure bet to endorse the proposition, based on his concurrence in Box, but we really do not know how the new nominees think about these issues — there are not yet enough tea leaves for us to read. Tempting to say that Gorsuch might, for example, because of his doctoral work, or that Barrett might because of her general vibes, but we just don't know yet. Kavanaugh seems unlikely, which prevents you from getting to five in any event, but learning that there's 3-4 votes for it wouldn't surprise me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2022, 09:54:14 AM by Person Man »

No, likely not, but I think it's closer than most think. Thomas is the only one I'd consider a sure bet to endorse the proposition, based on his concurrence in Box, but we really do not know how the new nominees think about these issues — there are not yet enough tea leaves for us to read. Tempting to say that Gorsuch might, for example, because of his doctoral work, or that Barrett might because of her general vibes, but we just don't know yet. Kavanaugh seems unlikely, which prevents you from getting to five in any event, but learning that there's 3-4 votes for it wouldn't surprise me.

I would say -

YES! -
Thomas, Alito, Barrett

Probably- Gorsuch

Probably Not- Kavanaugh

No-
Roberts

HELL NO!-
Jackson, Kagan, Sotomayor

I think that if another Democrat gets replaced by another Republican, this probably comes to pass. This amongst other things. That's unlikely at this point.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »

Unfortunately not.  I think there are only (at most) two votes for that right now (Thomas and Alito).  The best strategy for a nationwide abortion ban would be to have Congress pass it in 2025.  Realistically, that would require 60 pro-life Senators and a pro-life president.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 04:56:08 PM »

Unfortunately not.  I think there are only (at most) two votes for that right now (Thomas and Alito).  The best strategy for a nationwide abortion ban would be to have Congress pass it in 2025.  Realistically, that would require 60 pro-life Senators and a pro-life president.

Don't worry. With Roe states can declare it themselves, so you get to control women's bodies and we in blue states get to keep our own values.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 01:55:22 AM »

Kavanaugh went on the record opposing a few extreme anti-abortion positions to make himself look moderate while overturning Roe. For this, he said-
Some amicus briefs argue that the Court today should not only overrule Roe and return to a position of judicial neutrality on abortion, but should go further and hold that the Constitution outlaws abortion throughout the United States. No Justice of this Court has ever advanced that position. I respect those who advocate for that position, just as I respect those who argue that this Court should hold that the Constitution legalizes pre-viability abortion throughout the United States. But both positions are wrong as a constitutional matter, in my view. The Constitution neither outlaws abortion nor legalize abortion

That is not vaguely saying something and letting people draw their own conclusions from it as he did in his confirmation hearing, that is being very clear. If he did not believe it he would not have worded it in that way and now that he has said it, he'll find it hard to walk back.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 02:08:24 AM »

Kavanaugh went on the record opposing a few extreme anti-abortion positions to make himself look moderate while overturning Roe. For this, he said-
Some amicus briefs argue that the Court today should not only overrule Roe and return to a position of judicial neutrality on abortion, but should go further and hold that the Constitution outlaws abortion throughout the United States. No Justice of this Court has ever advanced that position. I respect those who advocate for that position, just as I respect those who argue that this Court should hold that the Constitution legalizes pre-viability abortion throughout the United States. But both positions are wrong as a constitutional matter, in my view. The Constitution neither outlaws abortion nor legalize abortion

That is not vaguely saying something and letting people draw their own conclusions from it as he did in his confirmation hearing, that is being very clear. If he did not believe it he would not have worded it in that way and now that he has said it, he'll find it hard to walk back.

Yeah Kavanaugh has done this with the eviction moratorium .
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 02:13:05 AM »

What do you mean?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 02:28:55 AM »

What do you mean?

He gave Biden a few weeks to tone it down while he ruled in favor of the admik but explicitly said id it was extended he would have struck the moratorium down . Biden then proceeded to do that.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »

No, only 2-3 (Barrett).  Kavanaugh clearly won't touch it and Gorsuch wanting to take it away from the states would shock me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 05:23:27 PM »

Yes. Is there a justice willing to put their name on such an opinion and possibly become a pariah outside of certain right-wing circles? I'm not as certain about that.

While I believe Human Life to begin at conception, I doubt a Constitutional argument could be made for this. 

On the other hand, if it's what the Constitution says, Justices should not be concerned about public opinion.  Their job is to say what the law is, not what they would like it to be, or even what it ought to be. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 07:09:09 PM »

Apparently no: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/11/politics/fetal-personhood-case-supreme-court/index.html
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »

No public dissent from denying cert either.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »

So likely zero interest in doing a reverse Roe.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 06:52:41 PM »

I bet Thomas and Alito secretly dissented from denial. Gorsuch and/or Barrett probably cast the deciding vote to deny cert. Kavanaugh's Dobbs concurrence implies he isn't a vote for fetal personhood. I'm pretty sure Thomas, Alito and Barrett are guaranteed votes for fetal personhood.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 10:29:16 PM »

Judging but what little I saw of the Dobbs case, it might actually be only Alito in favor of Personhood (and maybe Coney Barrett, but it doesn't look like she wants to risk her reputation on a such a case). Thomas doesn't seem interested in going that far, and it's a non-starter with Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Roberts).
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 08:00:33 AM »

Judging but what little I saw of the Dobbs case, it might actually be only Alito in favor of Personhood (and maybe Coney Barrett, but it doesn't look like she wants to risk her reputation on a such a case). Thomas doesn't seem interested in going that far, and it's a non-starter with Kavanaugh/Gorsuch/Roberts).
Box v Planned Parenthood indicates Thomas is a vote for fetal personhood.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »

Box v Planned Parenthood indicates Thomas is a vote for fetal personhood.

Does it? It indicates that he has a strong, animating personal opposition to abortion that might not necessarily be the case for all other anti-Roe justices (although it obviously is/was for Barrett, the late Scalia, and probably Gorsuch given his academic background), but that isn't the same as wanting to mendaciously read reverse-Roe language into the Fourteenth Amendment.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2022, 12:41:14 PM »

Does it? It indicates that he has a strong, animating personal opposition to abortion that might not necessarily be the case for all other anti-Roe justices (although it obviously is/was for Barrett, the late Scalia, and probably Gorsuch given his academic background), but that isn't the same as wanting to mendaciously read reverse-Roe language into the Fourteenth Amendment.
A strong, animating personal opposition to abortion rooted in the belief that abortion has functioned and continues to function as a form of racialized eugenics. Easy to see how that may implicate Equal Protection in a way other forms of opposition to abortion may not.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2022, 02:24:07 PM »

A strong, animating personal opposition to abortion rooted in the belief that abortion has functioned and continues to function as a form of racialized eugenics. Easy to see how that may implicate Equal Protection in a way other forms of opposition to abortion may not.

Good point. I'm familiar with the eugenics argument regarding abortion and I think there's some merit to it (at least as an empirical, descriptive historical topic), but it's unusual to see it in a SCOTUS opinion. I doubt Scalia would have gone there.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »

1-3, I imagine.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2022, 05:56:17 PM »

I'd say there are 3 potentially Fetal Personhood justices (Thomas, Alito, and ACB) While obviously Brown-Jackson, Kagan, and Sotomayor are No Votes, Roberts is also (likely) a no vote and I think Kavanaugh who seems the closest to Roberts on the current court as a no, I think to get a Fetal personhood challenge through the court you'll need to wait until Roberts goes as long as he's replaced by someone more in line with the views of the conservative trio I mentioned in the first line. I personally find abortion abhorrent so I hope that this comes soon, hopefully President Trump/DeSantis appoints a Roberts successor in 2025 though Roberts looks very young for 67, but I think 20 years as Chief Justice and I feel like Roberts is the type to retire in his early 70s.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »

There are zero votes for that concept.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: