Census Bureau Wants to Know How to Ask About Sexuality and Gender
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census Bureau Wants to Know How to Ask About Sexuality and Gender
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census Bureau Wants to Know How to Ask About Sexuality and Gender  (Read 451 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2022, 03:46:55 PM »

Feel free to offer suggestions to help them out:

Census wants to know how to ask about sexuality and gender

(...) Recognizing the difficulty of persuading people to reveal information many find sensitive, the U.S. Census Bureau is requesting millions of dollars to study how best to ask about sexual orientation and gender identity. The results could provide much better data about the LGBTQ population nationwide at a time when views about sexual orientation and gender identity are evolving.

The Census Bureau's request comes as President Joe Biden declared June as LGBTQ “Pride Month," and as U.S. passports now offer an “X” in addition to “M” or “F”, for non-binary or intersex individuals. It is taking place as some Republican-dominated state legislatures restrict what can be discussed about sexual orientation and gender identity in schools and banned transgender girls from competing in girls' sports.

Next week, the House Committee on Oversight and Reform is discussing legislation that would require data on sexual orientation and gender identity to be collected voluntarily in federal surveys.

Federal data collection traditionally has treated sexual orientation and gender identity as binary — gay or straight, male or female — but this can mask greater complexities and wide-ranging identities, according to a report the National Academies of Sciences, Medicine and Engineering released this spring.

The once-a-decade census, the yearly American Community Survey and the annual Current Population Survey now allow same-sex couples a chance to answer if they are in a marriage or domestic partnership. But that omits LGBTQ people who are single or not living in the same household with their partner, and for the gender question, “male" and “female" are the only options.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 09:35:05 PM »

I would love to go into DRA and create maps with each district having the same population of gay people, it would be quite interesting.

I worked for the Census in 2020 and I think if I had to ask a person's sexuality I would have received some more food for the road in the form of a delicious knuckle sandwich.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:40:00 PM »

Either just ask they do identify as gay, straight, bisexual, or other or have them mark their gender identity and the ones they are attracted to
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 09:42:55 PM »

I would love to go into DRA and create maps with each district having the same population of gay people, it would be quite interesting.

I worked for the Census in 2020 and I think if I had to ask a person's sexuality I would have received some more food for the road in the form of a delicious knuckle sandwich.

Can’t wait to create luhbigotah majority districts
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies