Lake County, Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:38:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Lake County, Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lake County, Ohio  (Read 546 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2022, 11:13:55 PM »

How come Trump won this by double digits?  It seems like Delaware county more upper middle class college educated, not blue collar like say Macomb County, Michigan and lacks the large rural part Delaware County has.  While I could see Trump narrowly winning it, I would have thought would be much closer than it was.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 11:22:30 PM »

Except it is more like Macomb County than Delaware.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 11:25:23 PM »

Also this region of Ohio as a whole has been depopulating and swinging hard right. The fact it swung left in 2020 is still impressive.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 12:32:37 AM »

Except it is more like Macomb County than Delaware.

This, just how Cleveland and the Cleveland area is more like Detroit and the Detroit area than Columbus and the Columbus area.

It's much more WWC and blue-collar, and much less educated. Much more Obama/Trump type than Delaware County, which is much more Romney-Biden type as a more white-collar, educated county.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 12:35:41 AM »

Also this region of Ohio as a whole has been depopulating and swinging hard right. The fact it swung left in 2020 is still impressive.

The actual weirder county in the Cleveland metro area is actually Geagua and how it didn't even Trend Democratic from 2016. Only guess I have is increased Amish turnout cancelled out the usual suburban trend in the western part of the county.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »

How come Trump won this by double digits?  It seems like Delaware county more upper middle class college educated, not blue collar like say Macomb County, Michigan and lacks the large rural part Delaware County has.  While I could see Trump narrowly winning it, I would have thought would be much closer than it was.

Lake County is MUCH more like Macomb than Delaware County.   % with a Bachelor's degree is 28.3% in Lake and 25.9% in Macomb, compared to 55.5% in Delaware County.  Median income in both Lake and Macomb are in the $65k range, it is $111k in Delaware.   Lake County is also more than 87% NHW.   Certainly far more WWC than UMC

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 11:49:34 PM »

It's another Macomb. If you're looking for D trends in the Cleveland metro, look south and southeast, not northeast or west.
This would include:
the southernmost tier of Cuyahoga suburbs (Strongsville-North Royalton-Broadview Heights-Brecksville)
the Medina County suburbs, of which there are really only two (Brecksville and Medina)
the northern Summit County area, which in terms of metro-belonging is ambiguous between Cleveland and Akron

I had a whole thing typed up over Ohio somewhere. I'm not sure where it is, but the main point was to look for the "Iowa-like" areas in Ohio.

The actual weirder county in the Cleveland metro area is actually Geagua and how it didn't even Trend Democratic from 2016. Only guess I have is increased Amish turnout cancelled out the usual suburban trend in the western part of the county.

It's not weird.

There's just not that much suburbia there. And the little bit that is there is of a very rural type.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies