14 Memorial Day weekend Mass Shootings kill 156, injure 412
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:22:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 Memorial Day weekend Mass Shootings kill 156, injure 412
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 14 Memorial Day weekend Mass Shootings kill 156, injure 412  (Read 536 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:29:41 AM »

That's the price of freedom, apparently.  Best country in the world, amirite?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:47:33 AM »

Wait, 156 killed AND 14 mass shooting, or 14 mass shootings killed 156 people? Not the same, and the tweet doesn't imply the topic title.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 10:58:52 AM by afleitch »

That's the price of freedom, apparently.  Best country in the world, amirite?

In 2020/1 the total of gun related homicides in Scotland was 3. There have been 19 over the past decade.

It would take us 82 years to reach that one day total.

Edit: 23 years as it's a long weekend. USA! USA!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 10:54:29 AM »

Wait, 156 killed AND 14 mass shooting, or 14 mass shootings killed 156 people? Not the same, and the tweet doesn't imply the topic title.

The latter, I think (and hope).

In 2020/1 the total of gun related homicides in Scotland was 3. There have been 19 over the past decade.

In fairness, even we as a country aren't bad enough for this to happen in one DAY. It's an 84 hour total.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 10:59:05 AM »

If 14 shootings killed 156 people then at least one killed 11, I think we would have heard about it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 11:12:09 AM »

Ah, but without guns to defend yourselves with, how does it feel to not have any other rights at all, afleitch?  Surely you must hate living under the jackboot of such an authoritarian dictatorship.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »

Ah, but without guns to defend yourselves with, how does it feel to not have any other rights at all, afleitch?  Surely you must hate living under the jackboot of such an authoritarian dictatorship.

The jackboot is so heavy that when my arm eventually shatters under it's weight it will cost me nothing to get it fixed. So it can oppress me again. It's the daily horror under which we live our lives.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 11:29:53 AM »

If 14 shootings killed 156 people then at least one killed 11, I think we would have heard about it.
More than that even. 156/14 ~ 11.1, so if all 14 of these shootings had 11 people killed, the number would add up to 155. Obviously it’s unlikely that all of these would have exactly 11 people die. Most would have a much lower number than that, so some of these would have to be like 15+ people killed. Obviously there’s something wrong with these numbers
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 11:36:48 AM »

Lots of big cities have surges of violence on Memorial weekend. I assume most of these mass shootings are shootouts between gangs. Probably a few drive-by shootings into crowds too. These don't get much coverage.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »

Lots of big cities have surges of violence on Memorial weekend. I assume most of these mass shootings are shootouts between gangs. Probably a few drive-by shootings into crowds too. These don't get much coverage.

Yeah the media doesn’t care about innocent black people dying unless it fits their narrative unfortunately.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »

Ok maybe. It's not what the tweet says though. There could have been 398 shootings and be consistent with the tweet.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »

Have a bit of a story from yesterday, I was on the metro (in Madrid) and overhearing a father and his pretty young boy across from me. I can’t say 100% this is exactly what they said (my Spanish is less than decent Tongue) but the boy heard about the Texas shooting and was super scared about it happening to him, but the father basically just said “Not in Spain, but in less safe countries like the US yes it would.”
Point? I don’t even know tbh, really just think we should be aware this is how the average person outside is perceiving us. It’s not a great look, and obviously we can’t have the same situation as Western Europe today (for a lot of reasons) but we can’t just ignore this. If the conservatives are so worried about mental health, good, let’s provide affordable and accesible mental health services instead of having therapy be a thing for the wealthy as if mental illness stops with an income bracket.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 12:17:01 PM »

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

The website in the tweet tries to track every incident. There are so many it's a very difficult task and on top of this many police departments are not cooperative. There was some effort years ago to collect the names, photos of victims, weapons used or suspected to be used for every mass gun violence incident and it was very difficult for many reasons. This website shows how staggering gun violence is in this country.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »

Thanks. From that I count 13 killed in the mass shootings over the 4 day weekend.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »

GOP: We need this massive surveillance state including unconstitutional wire-tapping and pedophile morons at airports to stop terrorists.

Everyone: Can we ban them from buying guns?

GOP: NO! THIS IS THE PRICE OF FREEDUM !!1
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 04:30:55 PM »

More than that even. 156/14 ~ 11.1, so if all 14 of these shootings had 11 people killed, the number would add up to 155. Obviously it’s unlikely that all of these would have exactly 11 people die. Most would have a much lower number than that, so some of these would have to be like 15+ people killed. Obviously there’s something wrong with these numbers

The real average deaths per mass shooting was 0.65
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3506536-9-killed-in-14-mass-shootings-over-holiday-weekend-watchdog/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies