Abortion vs. Covid mandates: Which positions do you take?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:31:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion vs. Covid mandates: Which positions do you take?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: With debates heating up between abortions and mandates, It's time for a check to see what the forum has to say. Are you pro-choice and mandate? pro-life and mandate?
I'm pro-life and pro-mandate

I'm pro life and anti-mandate

I'm pro-choice and pro-mandate

I'm pro-choice and anti-mandate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Abortion vs. Covid mandates: Which positions do you take?  (Read 1227 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »

Option 1: Pro-life and pro-mandate. I think this set of views will be the least represented, but is one of the more morally sound ones. You're pro life and you apply the same principles to vaccinations and masks, citing that they can do wonders for not just you but a whole community.

Option 2: Pro-life and anti-mandate. The standard Republican position. You're pro-life and anti-mandate, probably citing economic and/or freedom reasons. This can be implied as a more hypocritical stance, but regardless if you're a Republican there's an 80-90% likelihood you take this stance.

Option 3: Pro-choice and pro-mandate. This is the stance that can be inferred as the most hypocritical. Maybe you justify this stance by saying something along the lines of abortions aren't contagious and COVID is and because COVID can wreck entire communities, it's more important to put the community's safety above your personal choice in that instance where as abortions don't affect anyone but the person getting the abortion.

Option 4: Pro-choice and anti-mandate. Your stance is short, sweet and straight to the point. Women have the right to seek abortion just as everyone has the right to not seek vaccinations.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 11:47:14 PM »

Option 3 in 2021, Option 4 now. With the Delta variant, unvaccinated people transmitted the virus a lot more so having vaccine passes in some places was an easy way to protect the whole community. Delta also could threaten the ability of everyone to get good healthcare by overwhelming the system. Omicron is much milder and transmits almost as well in vaccinated people, so vaccination is now more of a personal choice to protect yourself from severe illness. Plus, vaccination rates have gradually increased anyway so you can't undo that effect of the mandates.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 01:01:22 AM »

I really can't answer the poll question since my position on abortion is more complicated than just 'pro-choice' or 'pro-life.' I'm in the now-underrepresented 'safe, legal and rare' category (so to the right of Democrats and left of Republicans) but it's worth noting I support the Hyde Amendment (which bans federal funding for abortion EXCEPT in cases of rape/incest/mother's life is in danger).

As for mandates, though, I'm reasonably pro-mandate.

I do disagree with the OP, though. Option 3 is not nearly as outrageous or hypocritical as Option 2. People who are pro-life but anti-mandate are people who on one side call for 'freedom of choice' when it comes to vaccines but are okay with yelling "Not your body, not your choice" to women making a decision about their own bodies and not letting them make a decision that should really be between them and their doctor. These people claim to be pro-life and claim to be acting in good faith in trying to save unborn lives. Well, it seems that when that unborn baby is actually born, these people care less. It depends on how you defend 'mandates,' but it's true that, like it or not, at the end of the day mandates do save lives. And it's the ultimate hypocrisy that these people refuse to let a woman make a choice about her body because muh unborn child, but unironically call for "freedom of choice" when it comes to people literally doing something that impacts other people (who were actually born and are actual people). Like seriously. It's almost like these people value life more pre-birth than they do post-birth.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:03:44 AM »

Personally pro-choice and pro-mandate, politically pro-choice and anti-mandate.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »

Pro-Choice and Anti-Mandate. I was for the latter for public health reasons but now everyone who wants to get vaccinated is, so I don't see why we should infringe on freedoms.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »

I was always Option #4

Are red avatars seriously going to attempt to memory hole their unmitigated covid absolutism?  lmao
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »

Option 1
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 12:47:16 PM »

Pro-life, anti mandate
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 05:05:44 PM »

pro-choice and anti-mandate
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 05:10:47 PM »

Pro-choice and anti-mandate.

I do not believe in any laws governing or restricting abortion and I don't believe people can be compelled at the threat of violence or imprisonment to receive an injection.  (However, I do believe others and organizations can be allowed to protect themselves from transmissible disease... take that for what you will) 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »

pro-choice/anti-mandate bcuz who cares really
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 09:04:33 PM »

Pro-choice, anti-mandate.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 06:23:42 AM »

Pro-choice.
Pro-vax (mandatory)
Anti-face diaper.

Yes.  I am the only one who is logical in all regards.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 08:28:04 AM »

Pro-choice.
Pro-vax (mandatory)
Anti-face diaper.

Yes.  I am the only one who is logical in all regards.

As soon as I got vaccinated, I stopped wearing masks. I think that the SCOTUS got the mandates right They should only be for people who other people depend on being vaccinated. We don't want to get COVID from the Doctor's Office or have all of our possessions sitting somewhere for a week in a warehouse because the delivery crew caught COVID because they refused to be vaccinated.

So option 3... to a point.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 02:13:15 PM »

I only reluctantly supported a federal vaccine mandate because I wanted this once-in-a-century pandemic to end as fast as possible. As far as I'm concerned, we're past that point. Option 4. I've already opposed mask mandates since the vaccines became readily available. There should be no more accommodating the anti-vax crowd at the expense of those who acted responsibly.

Private organizations and public schools should still be allowed to require vaccinations in general as a condition for employment or attendance, but those policies have been in place for many years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies