What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism?  (Read 2225 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: May 15, 2022, 03:20:09 PM »

As a Protestant of Irish and Italian ancestry I don't see anything wrong with converting or being a Protestant.

I can imagine that to some people, Catholicism is so intertwined with the culture of Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans that conversion can be seen by some as "betraying" or "ignoring" their ancestral culture. I don't think that's true, because just because a faith is connected with culture doesn't mean it's a "package deal" so to speak. And of course it ignores the many non-Catholics who live and have lived in Ireland and Italy for centuries.

I also especially don't think it's healthy for people to feel compelled to stay in their faith tradition just because of cultural tradition if they don't feel that their faith is true (or feel that their faith isn't acknowledging their own identity or parts of their identity). Religion should compel you to seek the truth, even if the path it takes you may be far from what you're used to.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies