What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism?  (Read 2233 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »

It's a bit of an odd view that I've never understood from here. Like that it's not a big deal if people from some more generic white American background or whatever convert from Catholic to Protestant but people of Irish or Italian descent doing so is VERY BAD and gets people triggered here, both people in Ireland and some Americans. Like why does one's ethnic background even matter?

The thing that really confuses me is that this is like the one place on the Internet where this type of mindset seems to be common, even on the immense concentration of hot takes that is Twitter I haven't seen it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »

It usually represents a nasty turn towards elitist conservatism common among newly rich social climbers. Evangelical converts are more likely to be zealous authoritarians than cultural Catholics.
People here get bent out of shape even if it's converting to a liberal mainline denomination though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 01:18:56 AM »

It usually represents a nasty turn towards elitist conservatism common among newly rich social climbers. Evangelical converts are more likely to be zealous authoritarians than cultural Catholics.
People here get bent out of shape even if it's converting to a liberal mainline denomination though.

Can you post an example of this actually happening? "Church-shopping" is a foreign concept to the European posters here, in no small part because the US never had a state church and so American Christians are more open to exploring different denominations, but I don't know anyone particularly adverse to the idea.
See basically any commentary from oakvale or Gully Foyle on it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »

Can you post an example of this actually happening? "Church-shopping" is a foreign concept to the European posters here, in no small part because the US never had a state church and so American Christians are more open to exploring different denominations, but I don't know anyone particularly adverse to the idea.
See basically any commentary from oakvale or Gully Foyle on it.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Gully is Protestant.
Well no, not religious although raised Protestant, but he still said once that if you're a religious affiliation different than your parents and perhaps your spouse, that's a problem.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »

Nothing, which is why nobody has ever said or even implied this on this forum, as far as I am aware. One wonders why you even ask.
False.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 10:45:19 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2022, 12:12:41 AM by September never stays this cold »

Tbh it seems to me that the notion that religion is a personal choice is something that in and of itself is essentially Protestant and American. If you go to most other places in the world to be Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, Zoroastrian and probably countless other things is a part of your cultural heritage and identity. I think that a lot of people would see converting to Protestantism as a form of cultural genocide.

Conversion to Protestantism is extremely common everywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

And here's even an example outside it:
https://www.france24.com/en/20191023-iraqi-kurds-turn-to-zoroastrianism-as-faith-identity-entwine
https://syrianobserver.com/features/51332/kurds-embrace-christianity-and-kobani-celebrates-inauguration-of-church.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »

Increasingly I've begun to think of this matrix of issues as having more to do with historical preservation and the relationship between individual and group identity in general rather than anything special to do with religion. That's all I'll say for now.
Having such a concern strikes me as incredibly reactionary though, especially prioritizing group identity over individual identity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies