Can the George Pataki model be replicated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can the George Pataki model be replicated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can the George Pataki model be replicated?  (Read 753 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2022, 01:37:39 PM »

Three consecutive victories in 1994, 1998 and 2002 by George Pataki to win three terms from 1995 to 2007. The first Republican governor since Nelson Rockefeller, another moderate Republican.

Pataki, a moderate suburban Republican from the NYC suburbs got more than 30% of the citywide vote needed for a New York Republican, while he benefitted from Democratic internal fighting in 1998 and 2002.....

Can this model be replicated, or are NY Republicans extinct at the gubernatorial level?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2022, 02:37:59 PM by smoltchanov »

Three consecutive victories in 1994, 1998 and 2002 by George Pataki to win three terms from 1995 to 2007. The first Republican governor since Nelson Rockefeller, another moderate Republican.

Pataki, a moderate suburban Republican from the NYC suburbs got more than 30% of the citywide vote needed for a New York Republican, while he benefitted from Democratic internal fighting in 1998 and 2002.....

Can this model be replicated, or are NY Republicans extinct at the gubernatorial level?

How many really moderate Republicans you see in, say,  Legislature now? Pro-choice, for example? I have difficulties to find even a couple... That's partially answers your question...

P.S. This is a question of the sort "could Republicans win New Jersey Senate seat with Clifford Case-type of candidate" (or Maryland's with Charles Mathias-one)? General election - almost sure, both would have enormous crossover support. The problem is primary, and the fact, that Republicans in New Jersey simply don't have Clifford Case-type candidates (and in Maryland - Charles Mathias-type) anymore...
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:28:35 AM »

Larry Hogan has always struck me as having more in common with Pataki than current peers like Phil Scott and Charlie Baker.
This is true. Larry Hogan is a very moderate Republican, but Baker and especially Scott are literal RINOs. They would fit right in with moderate Democrats were they to switch parties.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 01:10:06 PM »

Larry Hogan has always struck me as having more in common with Pataki than current peers like Phil Scott and Charlie Baker.
This is true. Larry Hogan is a very moderate Republican, but Baker and especially Scott are literal RINOs. They would fit right in with moderate Democrats were they to switch parties.

Well, people i mentioned (Case, Mathias, plus Javits, Brooke a.o.) were more liberal, then "moderate Democrats" of their time. And almost nobody called them "RINO's", btw....
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 10:56:42 AM »

Well, people i mentioned (Case, Mathias, plus Javits, Brooke a.o.) were more liberal, then "moderate Democrats" of their time. And almost nobody called them "RINO's", btw....
Two of them lost their primaries though of course none of the four would even get to 25% today.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »

Two of them lost their primaries though of course none of the four would even get to 25% today.

Yeah, but Case and Javits were rather old and not in good health. And in New Jersey Republicans can't win Senate seat after Case, and in New York even D'Amato (who was considered a conservative then) could probably be the most liberal Republican Senator now (IMHO - he was more moderate then even Collins now on most issues..)...
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 12:56:02 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2022, 02:00:14 PM by LAB-LIB »

Yeah, but Case and Javits were rather old and not in good health. And in New Jersey Republicans can't win Senate seat after Case, and in New York even D'Amato (who was considered a conservative then) could probably be the most liberal Republican Senator now (IMHO - he was more moderate then even Collins now on most issues..)...
I think Javits had been diagnosed with ALS!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »

I think Javits had been diagnosed with ALS!

Quite possible...
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 01:30:53 PM »

In what sense is D'Amato more moderate than Collins?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 12:55:55 AM »

In what sense is D'Amato more moderate than Collins?

IMHO - on economy. Looking at their ratings one would consider both as generally centrists, but Collins (IMHO) is slightly more moderate on social issues, then on economy (as was typical for New England Republicans), D'Amato - bread and butter issues (as typical for ethnics). But it's rather my personal estimate after seeing both for many years in Senate..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies