Confirmation Hearing: Lumine for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Lumine for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Lumine for Game Moderator (Confirmed)  (Read 956 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:42:55 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2022, 02:59:01 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

Pursuant to EO 56-13, Lumine has been nominated to serve as Game Moderator. The office of the President of the Senate still being vacant, hopefully not for much longer, I am opening this hearing in accordance with Senate rules.

The nominee is invited to give an opening statement, after which Senators may ask questions.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:19:07 AM »

I thank the President for her nomination, and the Senator for his prompt action to open these hearings.

It's a matter of public knowledge - I hope - that I was on my way out as Game Moderator back in March, and that as a result I was in the middle of bringing a few storylines to their planned end when the Kansas situation was purposely escalated. I resigned partly in protest and partly out of some despair, though that may not have been the smartest course of action, and in spite of wanting to close those loose ends.

As sanity has prevailed, and since we're about to have a full Cabinet, I offered my services in case a GM was needed to interact with. Thus, I'm here, having had about a month to recharge mental batteries, and prepared to serve - if the Senate deems it acceptable - until the end of the present term, or - as I posted elsewhere - until this office is reformed/eliminated if that is achieved earlier.

I think it's fairly clear the Game Engine is not working well at all, and it's not just the workload. Though I have no personal animosity for my predecessor, I think the previous tenure showcases - in a particularly  ironic paradox - the danger of having a GM that is part of any given plot or loses a sense of impartiality; and the distinct limits of the office and how it is beholden to players' willingness to accept that what the GM has to say.

Ultimately, I'm not here to ramble or to revolutionize the Game Engine, as I'm sad to admit I don't have a concrete plan to save the office which is realistic enough. I'm here to bring unfinished storylines to an end, clean some of the canon mess left by recent events, provide the new Administration with interaction, and see to it that the Game Engine is safe from any further insanity until such a time in which my presence is not needed.

Happy to take any questions, but those are my thoughts at the present time.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 12:36:28 AM »

The nominee's qualifications are obvious. I motion to put the nomination to a final vote ASAP.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 09:51:56 PM »

The nominee's qualifications are obvious. I motion to put the nomination to a final vote ASAP.

With this, I agree. Despite his baldness, I am willing to overlook follicular insecurity during a time such as this in favor of relevant qualifications. Seconded.  
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 10:30:56 PM »

I don't want to delay a vote, but could we potentially see a return of NPC elections?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 10:36:20 PM »

I won't object to the motion, but I do have some questions that I would like to get some thoughts on as such is being processed if possible.

What will the approach be to addressing those loose ends in light of the impact of Crane's pronouncements that may have impacted them. Does this alter your original plan for such, etc?

While we are on the subject, how will actions such as those military taken by Truman against Kansas but also the Southern region as a whole (such as the carpet bombing of civilians) be approached? Cancelled? Confirmed? Dialed back? Modified?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »

I don't want to delay a vote, but could we potentially see a return of NPC elections?

It's not in my plans at the present time. For one because this is meant to be a short tenure - in the hopes of the office being reformed or a suitable replacement being available by July -, and also because it's highly debatable whether there's sufficient interested players for it. Lest we forget, some of those involved in the conspiracy and on the way out (willingly or not) were also some of the active campaigners.

I promise to give it proper consideration in the later part of this month, but it would be extremely unlikely.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 10:49:54 PM »

I won't object to the motion, but I do have some questions that I would like to get some thoughts on as such is being processed if possible.

What will the approach be to addressing those loose ends in light of the impact of Crane's pronouncements that may have impacted them. Does this alter your original plan for such, etc?

While we are on the subject, how will actions such as those military taken by Truman against Kansas but also the Southern region as a whole (such as the carpet bombing of civilians) be approached? Cancelled? Confirmed? Dialed back? Modified?

I can say Crane's chosen approach to the Taiwan storyline is strongly at odds with what I have envisioned, and I personally feel the proposed "arrangement" (which I don't know if the previous administration helped negotiate) reached between Taiwan and the PRC is profoundly unrealistic for a number of reasons.

But to quote the Game Engine Reconstruction Act:

The word of a game moderator, once spoken, is Canon, and may not be revoked by their successor.

As a matter of fact, I warned about this being potentially problematic back in April 2020, though I never could decide on how to best approach "retcons":

At this point, I only have one suggestion: the Canon powers. Simply put, I think it's a mistake to codify so strongly that the word of a Game Moderator may not be revoked, because we've had instances of GM's undertaking steps which have been questionable, and may benefit from a retcon. Having said that, I believe this should only happen on extreme cases and never on the sole judgment of another GM.

Thus, and this also applies for Kansas, what's written is written, and Crane's two published stories are canon. Legally I cannot overturn his words, but I have been preparing for how to qualify/contextualize them, and/or push the narrative into a different direction without strictly contradicting what was said.

I happen to believe that officeholders have to take responsibility for their actions, and while I strongly push back against officeholders claiming that a given result happened (ex: "we invaded the South and the crowds cheered their liberation"), I do not apply the same standard to officeholders ordering stuff, even if it's insane (ex: "we invaded the South"). I'll publish a number of stories and/or report to set the Kansas canon straight, but expect for the most part to see actions explicitly taken by players confirmed, and their consequences simulated by the GM.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »

I know it's opening a whole other can of worms here, but given the exceptional circumstances...how would you feel about this Senate passing an amendment to game moderation law allowing a one-time exception for you to clean up some of your predecessor's more...unreasonable proclamations?

If you think this is a bad idea then that's fine. I'm not personally sure how I feel about it either; part of me does think that it may set a bad precedent and could undermine the role of the GM in the long run. I would like to hear your thoughts, though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 11:02:51 PM »

In the leaks, prior to your resignation, they stated they were going to question your legitimacy on the grounds that your swore in as Pontifex instead of GM, is there any risk legally speaking through this avenue or is this just nonsense?

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 11:20:20 PM »

I know it's opening a whole other can of worms here, but given the exceptional circumstances...how would you feel about this Senate passing an amendment to game moderation law allowing a one-time exception for you to clean up some of your predecessor's more...unreasonable proclamations?

If you think this is a bad idea then that's fine. I'm not personally sure how I feel about it either; part of me does think that it may set a bad precedent and could undermine the role of the GM in the long run. I would like to hear your thoughts, though.

I would be supportive of it. To be truthful, I can go around the Taiwan thing and qualify some of the Kansas stuff, but it would look cleaner if such a thing could be attempted.

You're right that it can set a difficult precedent, but, on the other hand, if Crane - or any other future GM who takes part in a conspiracy - had not resigned and kept adding stuff to the canon, there'd be no way to legally correct the damage.

I would actually suggest establishing a clear-cut process for accountability, allowing the GM to make a correction via a Senate vote with a sufficiently high threshold (2/3 at a minimum).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 11:22:34 PM »

In the leaks, prior to your resignation, they stated they were going to question your legitimacy on the grounds that your swore in as Pontifex instead of GM, is there any risk legally speaking through this avenue or is this just nonsense?

Unsurprisingly, that's a bunch of nonsense.

Both times I swore the oath formally, and then issued a directive stating that the office was to be referred as Pontifex Maximus merely for cosmetic purposes:

I, LumineVonReuental, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of Game Moderator, and will, to the best of my abilities, preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of Atlasia, so help me Dave.

Quote from: GM Directive #012
GM Directive 011 - revoking the temporary renaming of the office - is hereby rescinded. The Game Moderator is to be referred to as Pontifex Maximus.

Nonetheless, I have outgrown the Roman fixation for now, so I'm going with Game Moderator this time, no cosmetic changes.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 02:03:26 AM »

Seconding the motion for a final vote
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 09:37:41 AM »

Endorsing the nomination (but due to my role as Secretary of State, I will be recusing myself from this vote). Lumine is a highly qualified officeholder and I have the utmost confidence for him to serve again as a successful GM to lead us away from the Kansas Crisis.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 12:58:48 AM »

24 hours to object to the motions for a final vote.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 02:22:21 AM »

Proxy for final vote: AYE
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 01:47:14 AM »

A final vote is now open on the nomination for 96 hours. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 01:55:20 AM »

AYE!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 02:14:13 AM »

A final vote is now open on the nomination for 96 hours. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Confirming this action as Senate Dean.

Aye
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 02:14:32 AM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 02:42:01 AM »

Aye
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 03:32:48 AM »

Aye
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 04:05:05 AM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 04:08:18 AM »

Aye.
beesley