SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101541 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 03, 2022, 12:17:26 AM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disturbed by the leak. I'm not and I don't care because I have long been opposed to the Supreme Court. If (again, emphasis on if) we could set up a better replacement then I would support the Supreme Court's immediate abolition, I think SCOTUS is one of the worst things about the United States. But if you're a person who thinks positively about it then I get why you would be unsettled by the leak.

I have never agreed so hard with anything you've posted as I do now. The entire upper court system is an embarrassment.

Also thank God I've taken a break from regular posting lately, this place is going to be utter chaos tomorrow.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 02:29:58 AM »

I'm starting to change my mind on the leak, what's with the opposition to this? SCOTUS is the least accountable institution in the country, and I understand that's by design, but why are they entitled to strategically withholding information from the public? If they're too weak to make decisions and face the backlash, then they're too weak to be in this business. Americans have a right to know which rights are going to be taken away by unelected officials.

This is a cameras-in-courts level take.

Is that even such a crazy take for SCOTUS? Unlike criminal trials, where  the people whose fates are being decided are present in the courtroom and nothing is done in secret, this is not the case with SCOTUS, where the entire nation is impacted by their decisions.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »

Kind of awkward to celebrate "Land of the free" and fourth of July next week in a country where you in fact, cannot make your own decisions.

"Freedom" has never been anything more than an empty slogan to Republicans
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 11:49:13 PM »

Judge McBurney was appointed by former Gov. Nathan Deal (R).  He's also the judge overseeing the Fulton County special grand jury investigating interference in the 2020 election.

So which constitution does the Georgia abortion law violate: the US Constitution or the GA state constitution?

Apparently he struck it down because Roe was still in place when it was signed (in 2019) and they’d have to re-pass a similar law again post-Dobbs.

Serious question- why does a county judge have the authority to strike down a state law?  If that's the case, couldn't any state law just be referred to a county judge in a county you know is likely to be sympathetic to your cause?

Likely for whatever the same reason circuit judges have the authority to strike down federal laws
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies