SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101519 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: May 02, 2022, 07:54:09 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2022, 07:57:48 PM by KaiserDave »

Horrifying news, and the glee makes me feel ill. Horrible. I don't have much else to say.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:58 PM »

The political fallout of this will be fascinating

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill

This is a moronic statement.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 08:39:37 PM »

The political fallout of this will be fascinating

Don’t worry MSNBC will switch their outrage once DeSantis signs another bill

This is a moronic statement.

Nobody cares about the Texas bill anymore

1. No 2. If you can't see the difference I can't help you.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:26 PM »

Manchin is not "pro-life" or "pro-choice" he is an opportunistic narcissist. That said he will obviously do nothing about this.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »

Well I think we should note that what this decision, and future insane ultra-reactionary decisions from this court, will mean that basically we will continue to divide into two different communities. Obviously Democratic-run localities will ignore their state legislatures on this best they can (good), and Democratic and Republican run states will have drastically different laws going forward.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:58 PM »

Anyways, finally, the only good outcome of the Trump Presidency has revealed itself. Good riddance to Roe and the dumpster fire of legal dogma that it was.
This literally is a political manifesto packaged as a legal opinion and I oppose Roe.

I really don't think this will end up being the majority opinion. SCOTUS leaks rarely manifest into reality.

This is not a "SCOTUS leak" like any other we have previously seen.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:50 PM »

Well I think we should note that what this decision, and future insane ultra-reactionary decisions from this court, will mean that basically we will continue to divide into two different communities. Obviously Democratic-run localities will ignore their state legislatures on this best they can (good), and Democratic and Republican run states will have drastically different laws going forward.
This decision essentially makes abortion a state's rights issue so it isn't really possible for state legislatures to ignore it
I think you misunderstand me, I said Democratic run localities will ignore their own state legislatures. The state of Michigan for instance, has a trigger law banning abortion, obviously DAs in Democratic run counties will ignore this.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 09:59:07 PM »

Christian Nationalism wins tonight, the soul of America loses.

We're going to need motivation from pro-choice this Fall, because this is a serious backwards to the health and safety of woman in our country. A certain segment of the country is more concerned with punishing woman than providing them the most available option for an abortion, however they find it troubling.

For every demon that votes this November, true Christians who are willing to do anything to defend God's designs will stand firm and defeat the vote of evil.
This is insanely deranged, no surprise from you of course.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 10:11:32 PM »

I know this is very on-brand for me, but thank God I have the most pro-choice Governor in the country.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 11:02:29 PM »

For those people supporting this decision that say it should be left up to the states, I call attention to this article published in the Post just this morning:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/02/abortion-ban-roe-supreme-court-mississippi/

Cliff: Republicans in Congress are piosed to introduce a nationwide ban on abortion after six weeks.

This flies in the face of Commerce Clause and 10th Amendment jurisprudence. I would expect a majority like Bostock, if not larger, to strike down a law like this.
You falsely assume that the current reactionary majority really cares. For the record I think you are right that such a law wouldn't survive, but you really have to give these judges less credit. Alito is an obvious political hack, he is an angry right-wing message board poster in a robe, he deserves none of the respect afforded to his office.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 09:40:28 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »

Wanted to balance out Gavin with an actually good Governor and also to be on brand.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »

Blairite you are hopelessly optimistic. +60 votes to codify Obergefell? No chance whatsoever. It is still the stated platform of the GOP to oppose gay marriage. And “Kav would never” made me laugh.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 11:17:54 AM »

Blairite you are hopelessly optimistic. +60 votes to codify Obergefell? No chance whatsoever. It is still the stated platform of the GOP to oppose gay marriage. And “Kav would never” made me laugh.

Then if you're right, >40 Republican senators will walk onto the senate floor and vote against same sex marriage. There's literally no way this hurts us.

This would not do that much against them politically.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 03:45:08 PM »

Um...wow. This was unexpected.

Not unexpected really, he's been functionally pro choice for years.

In any case this is a disgraceful, disgusting ruling from a crooked increasingly reactionary body. And the far-right organizational effort behind this is just getting started. Massive threat to free society. Horrific.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies