SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:13:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101517 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 02, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »

Well, if it's 5-4, not advancing Clarence Thomas to a full floor vote might have made the difference.

I'd be willing to bet good money this draft opinion is 6-3, and thus not giving Thomas a hearing is moot.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:31:42 PM »

Would the Democrats be able put abortion protections in a reconciliation bill? It'd pass the House and probably the Senate honestly. Sinema would be yes, Manchin idk, Collins probably yes, Murkowski idk, Casey idk.

Democrats would have to kill the fillibuster to even try it, as it's not going get through reconciliation (no Senate Parliamentarian will agree to that) and other than maybe Murkowski, I can't think of a single Republican who would oppose a fillibuster of any abortion protection.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »

Would the Democrats be able put abortion protections in a reconciliation bill? It'd pass the House and probably the Senate honestly. Sinema would be yes, Manchin idk, Collins probably yes, Murkowski idk, Casey idk.

Democrats would have to kill the fillibuster to even try it, as it's not going get through reconciliation (no Senate Parliamentarian will agree to that) and other than maybe Murkowski, I can't think of a single Republican who would oppose a fillibuster of any abortion protection.

Dumb filibuster. Hopefully the court strikes down Texas' law. 15 weeks is less than 22 weeks but still enough time for a woman to find out she's pregnant and obtain an abortion. Texas is not enough time. Pregnancy is typically measured from ovulation, so six weeks means only four weeks after a missed period, which is not enough time to be sure of the change to get a pregnancy test and obtain an abortion.

Given Republicans are going to be trying to be passing fetal personhood, if not on by judicial fiat, then by constitutional amendment or just by plain legislation (which the current Supreme Court will uphold)...I think you are wrong here.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 09:49:38 AM »

I'm actually shocked that the Justices don't seem to have wrote in fetal personhood.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies