SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 10:09:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 104007 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2575 on: September 13, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2576 on: September 13, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/lindsey-graham-gambles-republicans-midterm-victory-on-abortion-ban/ar-AA11MIhw
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2577 on: September 13, 2022, 03:16:35 PM »

I didn't realize that today is November 9, 2022, and that Democrats had been projected to win the House and the Senate.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2578 on: September 13, 2022, 03:19:25 PM »

I didn't realize that today is November 9, 2022, and that Democrats had been projected to win the House and the Senate.

If Republicans seriously run on a national abortion ban, it will only get worse for them between now and then.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2579 on: September 13, 2022, 03:22:04 PM »

Lol, I remember when Lindsey said the abortion issue should be left up to the states.

I hope everyone takes note that overturning Roe was not the end game. This bill is a perfect example of that.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2580 on: September 13, 2022, 03:22:17 PM »

If Republicans seriously run on a national abortion ban, it will only get worse for them between now and then.

An Indiana or Louisiana style ban? Of course.

A 15 week ban? I'm less sure. Over 95% of abortions happen before that mark. Since there don't appear to be exceptions for the life of the mother in Graham's bill you're probably right, but let's wait and see if it's a slam dunk.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2581 on: September 13, 2022, 03:23:59 PM »

A 15 week ban? I'm less sure. Over 95% of abortions happen before that mark. Since there don't appear to be exceptions for the life of the mother in Graham's bill you're probably right, but let's wait and see if it's a slam dunk.

People don't even look at the details though. In Kansas an amendment that would have simply made it possible to restrict it much further than Roe lost by 20 points. All Democrats have to do is say the Republicans are running on a national abortion ban. They can try to clarify the details all they want, but if you're explaining, you're losing.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2582 on: September 13, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »

Not if another issue takes the forefront. I'll buy Republicans facing electoral consequences for being "too extreme" when I see it.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2583 on: September 13, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »

Gilead in real life is their ultimate goal, there's no other way around it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2584 on: September 13, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »

Not if another issue takes the forefront. I'll buy Republicans facing electoral consequences for being "too extreme" when I see it.

... You DID see it in Kansas back in August.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2585 on: September 13, 2022, 03:47:51 PM »

Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #2586 on: September 13, 2022, 03:49:04 PM »

Gee, and I fool really thought that overturning Roe was only about giving the power back to the states. It's like the GOP is actively trying to lose in November. That used to be a thing their opponents did.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2587 on: September 13, 2022, 03:49:55 PM »

To be fair, the substance of this bill is probably the approximate position of the national median voter.

But it doesn't matter.  Publicizing -anything- that could be called a "nationwide abortion ban" is terrible politics.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2588 on: September 13, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »

Lol, I remember when Lindsey said the abortion issue should be left up to the states.

It's so strange for Lindsey Graham to contradict himself like that.  He's always known for his integrity and rock-solid consistency.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2589 on: September 13, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »

It's so strange for Lindsey Graham to contradict himself like that.  He's always known for his integrity and rock-solid consistency.

*Forum Error* Sarcasm threshold exceeded
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2590 on: September 13, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »

15 weeks is roughly on par with what France has, Republicans just need to stress that.

Who do you expect this argument to persuade?

Francophone voters in Jared Golden's district, duh.
new_patomic

« Reply #2591 on: September 13, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »

The "rest of the world" framing is interesting but seems kind of risky given most Americans generically were 'okay' with Roe even if not on the specifics.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2592 on: September 13, 2022, 04:15:32 PM »

Most Democrats would agree to a 15 week national ban if no state were allowed to have any restrictions or bans earlier than that, and also prevented the gotchas like hallway widths, mandatory waiting periods, etc.

But obviously almost no Republicans would agree to that, and that is not remotely similar to what Graham is proposing here.

The other big problem is under such circumstances every doctor has to worry about a pregnancy seeking to be terminated say at week 12, 13, or 14. The only thing standing between them and, best case scenario of spending tens of thousands of dollars and living for months with unspeakable stress of having their career and indeed being imprisoned away from their family hanging over them, or worst case scenario being actually convicted because and all too pro-life sympathetic jury convict them, is an overly ambitious County district attorney - every one of them elected officials in almost every state - seeking to ride and the abortion sentiment to higher office. We've seen exactly that here in Ohio where the supposed danger to the life of the mother was too close to call and required a pregnant 10-year-old to be transported to Indiana for the procedure.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2593 on: September 13, 2022, 04:16:30 PM »

The states rights argument has always been nonsense. “Yeah I think abortion is murdering a baby, but I’m totally cool if California makes it legal, I swear!”

Either your lying about thinking abortion is murder or you’re lying about thinking it should be left up to the states.

This. In what Universe does fetal viability differentiate by state lines?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2594 on: September 13, 2022, 04:18:57 PM »

15 weeks is roughly on par with what France has, Republicans just need to stress that.

"Abortion in France is legal on demand during the first 14 weeks from conception. Abortions at later stages of pregnancy up until birth are allowed if two physicians certify that the abortion will be done to prevent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognized as incurable."

That's not what this law is.

I could almost get on board with this as long as two certifying doctors makes prosecution literally impossible. Or some Ultra Ultra Ultra incredibly difficult legal standard that makes those two doctors certified opinions almost impossible to rebut.

Yes, I know that this creates a California medical marijuana situation where many doctors will say sure whatever to a patient's request, but the alternative is basically no doctor is going to be willing to cross that line for the reasons I stated in my prior post
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2595 on: September 13, 2022, 04:21:03 PM »

Lindsey Graham has always been a horrible a******, but this is slipping from the gutter into the sewer even by his standards.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2596 on: September 13, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3641225-mcconnell-throws-shade-on-grahams-proposed-national-abortion-ban/

Wow, McConnell is against Graham's bill. I thought for sure this bill was made by Republican leaders to lessen the blowback Republicans have received for their pro life stances after Dobbs. Won't conservatives turn on McConnel for this?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2597 on: September 13, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

... You DID see it in Kansas back in August.

That was a referendum failing, not a Republican losing a Senate race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2598 on: September 13, 2022, 04:49:58 PM »

The bottom line here isn't even the amount of weeks anymore. The problem for the GOP is that they need to stop trying enforce *any* ban. The point is that they need to *STOP* trying to come between a woman and her doctor. That is the central force here. At this point, the # of weeks is trivial. It's the point that the GOP has no right to try and enforce *any* of this because it's none of their damn business.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2599 on: September 13, 2022, 05:02:39 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2022, 05:42:13 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

It gets worse. There's a rape exemption for minors... if they can prove they were raped.

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies