SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103519 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: June 24, 2022, 11:04:27 AM »

I have to say, this is all very convenient that they make this ruling just as the January 6 investigation is picking up steam.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1476 on: June 24, 2022, 11:04:30 AM »

What's so ironic is that Rs are against Section 8, food stops and stimulus checks but they want every child born, the irony of that 50 people live in poverty and black and Brown which are the minority represent 30/50 M.in poverty

That's what this Election is about BBB or cut the Govt spending
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1477 on: June 24, 2022, 11:05:07 AM »

What a sad day for this country. I shudder to think about what's next. Will the Court overturn marriage equality? I assume that will be the next challenge, if it isn't already in the works.

Same sex relations, contraception, school integration,

And maybe the economic issues as well, social security, Medicare,

The whole new deal paradigm is at risk.

Right. I am worried contraception is what will be targeted next. Clarence Thomas essentially said in his opinion that the court should re-examine the landmark cases that established the right to contraception, right to same sex marriage and right to same sex intimacy.

This really is a frightening time.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1478 on: June 24, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 11:11:00 AM by Lee more vulnerable than Fetterman »

What a sad day for this country. I shudder to think about what's next. Will the Court overturn marriage equality? I assume that will be the next challenge, if it isn't already in the works.

Right. I am worried contraception is what will be targeted next. Clarence Thomas essentially said in his opinion that the court should re-examine the landmark cases that established the right to contraception, right to same sex marriage and right to same sex intimacy.

Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1479 on: June 24, 2022, 11:08:13 AM »

I have to say, this is all very convenient that they make this ruling just as the January 6 investigation is picking up steam.

This has nothing to do with anything. The SCOTUS term always ends in June.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1480 on: June 24, 2022, 11:08:48 AM »

So interesting that Democratic politicians suddenly talk about "women" again instead of "people giving birth".
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1481 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:11 AM »

This is a wonderful start!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1482 on: June 24, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »

We are increasingly living under a right-wing judicial dictatorship, and we need to treat that as the crisis that it is.

Lol so returning this decision to the people’s elected representatives is dictatorship

They get to experience what conservatives felt in the 1960s and 1970s when the then-awful Supreme Court just made stuff up.

Beyond Roe, what cases are you referring to?

Just a few examples off the top of my head where the court literally just made stuff up to reach the outcome the left wanted:

Moore v East Cleveland
Regents v Bakke
Reynolds v Sims
Gideon v Wainwright
Miranda v AZ
Griswold v CT
Eisenstadt v. Baird
Jacobellis v. OH
Lemon v. Kurtzman
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1483 on: June 24, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »

So interesting that Democratic politicians suddenly talk about "women" again instead of "people giving birth".
Imagine thinking that matters.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1484 on: June 24, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »

Will there be riots this weekend?

Also, I think this will help Dems this November, although still not enough to keep the House, but hopefully the Senate.

Yes.  Pro-choice rioters in Chicago will likely damage the property of fellow pro-choice Chicagoans.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1485 on: June 24, 2022, 11:11:50 AM »

It was not slavery itself that led directly to the civil war, but overreach from the Dredd v Scott decision and legal parameters permitting capture of slaves in free states. If abortion across state lines is made illegal, as is getting married or having sex, well that affects a population together much larger than the slave population and among upper middle class constituents that have the means to enact change easier than the incredibly p!seed working class.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1486 on: June 24, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »

It was not slavery itself that led directly to the civil war, but overreach from the Dredd v Scott decision and legal parameters permitting capture of slaves in free states. If abortion across state lines is made illegal, as is getting married or having sex, well that affects a population together much larger than the slave population and among upper middle class constituents that have the means to enact change easier than the incredibly p!seed working class.

I imagine quite a few states will try and implement fugitive abortion laws.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1487 on: June 24, 2022, 11:14:16 AM »

Everyone who is all like "silly Dems, all we want to do is return it to the states!" ... take notice. The end goal is 100% illegal everywhere.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1488 on: June 24, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »

This will be a test of the polling industry. If public sentiment is truly against this ruling then the GOP will suffer long term for this. IF they’re right…interesting to see

This is the mistake Atlas always makes in analyzing politics; people here think that because an issue exists and people say they have an opinion on it, they are willing to vote on it. The reality is most voters don't care about abortion and the ones that do are mostly not persuadable. The backlash that Democrats are hoping for is highly unlikely to materialize beyond a tiny movement at the margins.

I think it is a mistake to view this decision the same way as every other SCOTUS decision or every other thing that happens in a typical week in politics.

It's not.
This is the single biggest abrupt policy change in America in my lifetime.  

And it is one that should cut through even to low information voters.  If you ask a typical voter to name a single Supreme Court decision, they could probably name Roe vs. Wade and that's it (and maaaaybe Brown v. Board).  

I don't think you can predict how voters will respond to this based on how voters have responded to other routine stuff.

The better analogy would be 2002.  George W. Bush was likely in very bad shape in the 2002 midterms until 9/11.  But 9/11 was an event of a generational scale that completely reframed the political debate of that election cycle.  This decision strikes me as being of similar scale.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1489 on: June 24, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »

It might. A social class unable to effectively vocalise its identity cannot fight discrimination against themselves as effectively as they otherwise could.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1490 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »

It might. A social class unable to properly vocalise its identity cannot fight discrimination against themselves as effectively as they otherwise could.
I realy don't think the Birthing person think was anything mainstream, it was a weird medical term that got used by some politicans looking to score woke points rather than anything substanisal.
jd7171
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1491 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »

This will be a test of the polling industry. If public sentiment is truly against this ruling then the GOP will suffer long term for this. IF they’re right…interesting to see

This is the mistake Atlas always makes in analyzing politics; people here think that because an issue exists and people say they have an opinion on it, they are willing to vote on it. The reality is most voters don't care about abortion and the ones that do are mostly not persuadable. The backlash that Democrats are hoping for is highly unlikely to materialize beyond a tiny movement at the margins.

Yeah, but that still can be a big deal, it could help Democrats limit Republican gains. Especially in the Senate, it could help them hold it
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1492 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:48 AM »

I imagine quite a few states will try and implement fugitive abortion laws.

Kav stated in his concurrence that he wouldn't view that as constitutional (not that he's immune to flipflopping.)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1493 on: June 24, 2022, 11:17:30 AM »

Shameful.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1494 on: June 24, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »

Everyone who is all like "silly Dems, all we want to do is return it to the states!" ... take notice. The end goal is 100% illegal everywhere.

Oh absolutely. This is just the beginning. The end goal is to make abortion illegal under any circumstances in the United States.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1495 on: June 24, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »

I think it is a mistake to view this decision the same way as every other SCOTUS decision or every other thing that happens in a typical week in politics.

It's not.
This is the single biggest abrupt policy change in America in my lifetime.  

And it is one that should cut through even to low information voters.  If you ask a typical voter to name a single Supreme Court decision, they could probably name Roe vs. Wade and that's it (and maaaaybe Brown v. Board).  

I don't think you can predict how voters will respond to this based on how voters have responded to other routine stuff.

The better analogy would be 2002.  George W. Bush was likely in very bad shape in the 2002 midterms until 9/11.  But 9/11 was an event of a generational scale that completely reframed the political debate of that election cycle.  This decision strikes me as being of similar scale.

2002 is a crap analogy because the media landscape was less diverse to begin with and cable news united around certain narratives in the wake of 9/11. There is too much of a divide here for Biden to get any kind of rally-around-the-flag.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1496 on: June 24, 2022, 11:20:19 AM »

Atlas's is problem is the opposite, they're too stuck on narratives regarding trends, polarizations and voters not switching so their seems to be this kind of stocisim regarding how elections are going to go. Look at how many people disregard every poll that doesn't fit their bias regarding the state, downplay every scandal as meaningless and unirocanily go on rants about how canidate quality is meaningless.

Stocisim about how these things matter is all well and good, but each of one these things. has the possibility to break or change the over all course of elections.

I remember the 2014 cycle well, when users were arbitrarily convinced that Dems were going to do well and polls foretelling GOP victories were just casually dismissed as "junk". What I would suggest though is that one of the narratives that Atlas loves most is the idea that abortion will be a difference-maker for them in the elections, despite it routinely failing to make lists of top issues for voters and the election being over four months away.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1497 on: June 24, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »

Atlas's is problem is the opposite, they're too stuck on narratives regarding trends, polarizations and voters not switching so their seems to be this kind of stocisim regarding how elections are going to go. Look at how many people disregard every poll that doesn't fit their bias regarding the state, downplay every scandal as meaningless and unirocanily go on rants about how canidate quality is meaningless.

Stocisim about how these things matter is all well and good, but each of one these things. has the possibility to break or change the over all course of elections.

I remember the 2014 cycle well, when users were arbitrarily convinced that Dems were going to do well and polls foretelling GOP victories were just casually dismissed as "junk". What I would suggest though is that one of the narratives that Atlas loves most is the idea that abortion will be a difference-maker for them in the elections, despite it routinely failing to make lists of top issues for voters and the election being over four months away.

Also thanks to the leak most of the country pretty much already knew it was gonna be overturned and it still failed to be listed high in the issues voters care about
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1498 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »

Also thanks to the leak most of the country pretty much already knew it was gonna be overturned and it still failed to be listed high in the issues voters care about

Well, if the majority of the US population doesn't care about an attempted self-coup and now theocrats progressively seizing control of the country the US will be lucky to survive to 2050 as a democratic country.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1499 on: June 24, 2022, 11:27:18 AM »

Thomas is an outlyier on that (he hates substantive due process), and Kavanaugh's concurrence said no. I can't image a national law being passed banning 1st trimester abortions btw.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies