SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:13:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103728 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: June 24, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »

Lol scotus overturned 50 year old precedent and still some of you are in pure denial that same sex privacy, same sex marriage, and contraception rights are threatened.

"Only Thomas had the opinion that Obergefell, Lawrence, and Griswold should be overturned, so that's good news" is the new version of "Roe is settled precedent and it won't be overturned. If you think it will then you're just being a doomer"

Abortion has sat consistently at 60-40 support throughout the past 30 years, so there was an opening. SSM is now at 70% support and rising every year, when it comes to under 30s support can hit 85-90%.

The idea that the court is immune from public opinion is laughable. SSM isn't going anywhere.

Uh huh. I'll remind you of this message when Lawrence and Obergefell are repealed.
If even reactionary radical Samuel ing Alito didn't sign onto to the even more radical Thomas concurrence, no, they really won't be.

You've clearly already made your mind up and are unwilling to listen to reason, so there's no point in continuing this conversation. This is a dark day but that doesn't mean abandon all logic.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1376 on: June 24, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »

Here we go...

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1377 on: June 24, 2022, 09:55:36 AM »

Lol scotus overturned 50 year old precedent and still some of you are in pure denial that same sex privacy, same sex marriage, and contraception rights are threatened.

"Only Thomas had the opinion that Obergefell, Lawrence, and Griswold should be overturned, so that's good news" is the new version of "Roe is settled precedent and it won't be overturned. If you think it will then you're just being a doomer"

Abortion has sat consistently at 60-40 support throughout the past 30 years, so there was an opening. SSM is now at 70% support and rising every year, when it comes to under 30s support can hit 85-90%.

The idea that the court is immune from public opinion is laughable. SSM isn't going anywhere.

Uh huh. I'll remind you of this message when Lawrence and Obergefell are repealed.
If even reactionary radical Samuel ing Alito didn't sign onto to the even more radical Thomas concurrence, no, they really won't be.

You've clearly already made your mind up and are unwilling to listen to reason, so there's no point in continuing this conversation. This is a dark day but that doesn't mean abandon all logic.

Because Alito sees the slipperly slope.

Abortion, and then gay marriage, and then perhaps interracial marriage as well, and then what's next ? Brown vs. Board of education ?

Alot of our social issues were decided by the supreme court. That's not good. And I think Alito knows it.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1378 on: June 24, 2022, 09:56:24 AM »

“Blessed be the fruit.”

This is all so medieval.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1379 on: June 24, 2022, 09:57:35 AM »

Man I wonder how all the pro choice Maine voters feel right now
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1380 on: June 24, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »

Here we go...

If you read the courts decision, they would view this as unconstitutional as Roe was in the first place.

Its a states issue. Abortion will still be legal in much of the country. If its that big of an issue for you, move.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1381 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

Right being rightfully concerned that my own rights are being threatened is so crazy and illogical. You are the epitome of logic and rationality.

Notice how none of these conservatives on the bench swore to protect Lawrence or Obergefell or Griswold. Kavanagh straight up lied to Collins.

But then again you're the purely logical rational one and I've abandoned all logic. You sound like MAGA atp.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #1382 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »

Man I wonder how all the pro choice Maine voters feel right now

Having serious concerns
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1383 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:10 AM »

The reason I don't see Obergefell being overturned is that I don't see a state trying to enforce a gay marriage ban - it would be politically unpopular, and no major politician has AFAIK endorsed such a move (maybe Texas if they actually try to enact their ridiculous platform, but state party platforms aren't written by the people who actually decide what laws to pass.)

If this actually happened, I'm not sure how the court would rule - I feel like there's a decent shot that there wouldn't be four justices to take it up. If there were, all bets are off, although Gorsuch and Kavanaugh would probably be an uphill climb for Thomas/Alito to get on board.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1384 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:37 AM »

Will there be riots this weekend?

Also, I think this will help Dems this November, although still not enough to keep the House, but hopefully the Senate.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1385 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »

Here we go...

If you read the courts decision, they would view this as unconstitutional as Roe was in the first place.

Its a states issue. Abortion will still be legal in much of the country. If its that big of an issue for you, move.

It's funny how you think the justices actually care about precedent. They would 100% uphold a nationwide abortion ban, even if it contradicts Dobbs.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1386 on: June 24, 2022, 10:02:43 AM »

As a Catholic, glorious news. Abortion was always an abhorrent practice. Leave it up to the states.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1387 on: June 24, 2022, 10:03:25 AM »

Well Wexton and Spanberger are probably safe now. Barring violence
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1388 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »

The reason I don't see Obergefell being overturned is that I don't see a state trying to enforce a gay marriage ban - it would be politically unpopular, and no major politician has AFAIK endorsed such a move (maybe Texas if they actually try to enact their ridiculous platform, but state party platforms aren't written by the people who actually decide what laws to pass.)

If this actually happened, I'm not sure how the court would rule - I feel like there's a decent shot that there wouldn't be four justices to take it up. If there were, all bets are off, although Gorsuch and Kavanaugh would probably be an uphill climb for Thomas/Alito to get on board.

Right I forgot the Republicans care about public opinion and will always honor what the people want.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1389 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 10:08:17 AM by Horus »

Right being rightfully concerned that my own rights are being threatened is so crazy and illogical. You are the epitome of logic and rationality.

Notice how none of these conservatives on the bench swore to protect Lawrence or Obergefell or Griswold. Kavanagh straight up lied to Collins.

But then again you're the purely logical rational one and I've abandoned all logic. You sound like MAGA atp.

What justices say in congressional hearings is neither here nor there, you'd be a fool to take them at their word.

Now, the opinions that they choose to co sign or not? That's how you read the mind of a jurist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1390 on: June 24, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »

How does the majority opinion compare to the leaked draft?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1391 on: June 24, 2022, 10:07:18 AM »

Biden-Collins voters in Maine should be feeling really stupid & ashamed right now.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1392 on: June 24, 2022, 10:07:23 AM »

How does the majority opinion compare to the leaked draft?

Quite close, from what I've seen on Twitter.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1393 on: June 24, 2022, 10:08:39 AM »

You know; the entire Republican project has been to destroy the new deal/great society consensus of the last 90 years.

Abortion is the social issues part of the new deal/great society. But there's also social security, medicare, federal funding for education.

all of these things were literally legally allowed because the supreme court. Read the history folks.

And now it's at stake. All of it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1394 on: June 24, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »

I think it’s also important to note that the Supreme Court is made up of mostly justices appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote.

This is not a Court representing America. This is a sham Court.

The electoral college must go.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1395 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »

6-3? Lulz.

Elections have consequences, and that's what happened in 2016 in partiular.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1396 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:45 AM »

Kavanaugh, the 5th vote to overturn Roe, opines in a concurrence in victim that the right to travel protects women traveling to other states to obtain an abortion. So at the end of the day, the practical impact of this should be limited, particularly if the number of states banning abortion entirely, as opposed to just after the first trimester, are rare.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1397 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »

As a Catholic, glorious news. Abortion was always an abhorrent practice. Leave it up to the states.

If abortion is so abhorrent, why should a state be allowed to legalize it?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1398 on: June 24, 2022, 10:12:57 AM »

This has to be the worst week for supreme court rulings in recent memory.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1399 on: June 24, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 10:48:50 AM by Alben Barkley »

6-3? Lulz.

Elections have consequences, and that's what happened in 2016 in partiular.

It was 5-4, Roberts sided with the liberals.

Never mind, initial reporting said that but apparently not. He sided with the MS law at least, though said they went too far in wanting to outright overturn Roe and Casey. (Although I don't see how that wouldn't have opened the door for that anyway.)

Guess RBG not retiring while Obama was in office didn't singlehandedly cause this after all. Maybe. A 5-4 court might not have taken this case up at all though.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies