SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103397 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:06 PM »

Maybe i overreacted

but this whole thing is so stupid.

Policing the entire world about human rights

and be like... women rights, never heard of it.

Hopefully the US remains the Hegemonic Power
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »

Our nation is moving backwards, while the rest of the world moves forward.

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.

I'm talking in general, over time (and most importantly with regards to abortion/women's rights).
Examples ... Mexico and Ireland.
There will always be wars/conflicts and Corona virus is a rare(ish) world-wide event.
Your "but Ukrainians" post is not as worthy as you believe it is. Please.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2022, 12:56:23 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 01:04:12 PM by Person Man »

Maybe i overreacted

How do certain point, this becomes meaningless. If the United States no longer has its values, and there’s no need for to be a hegemon anymore.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.

I'm talking in general, over time (and most importantly with regards to abortion/women's rights).
There will always be wars/conflicts and Corona virus is a rare(ish) world-wide event.

Nor is yours claiming easier access to kill unborn babies is "progress moving forward"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2022, 01:07:50 PM »

Nor is yours claiming easier access to kill unborn babies is "progress moving forward"
You can believe all kinds of crazy. The problem is that everybody has to pay to jack this craziness off. With the other side, barring those that think everybody should pay for it, no one has to pay for anyone’s else’s getting sh**t upon.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #630 on: May 03, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »

Well you didn't make that very clear, and your statement was a very broad Twitter level take.

I'm strongly against repealing Roe, but the idea that the rest of the world is just marching towards utopia while America is some garbage dump is not based in reality.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2022, 01:11:42 PM »

Maybe i overreacted

If it was up to people like you the third world war would be US vs Europe.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 01:28:00 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Well you didn't make that very clear, and your statement was a very broad Twitter level take.
I'm strongly against repealing Roe, but the idea that the rest of the world is just marching towards utopia while America is some garbage dump is not based in reality.

Well, I apologize you couldn't put two-and-two together in a thread 26 pages long, regarding "abortion/women's rights."
And where the f*** do you see me say "America is some garbage dump"?
That's just a comical as your earlier "but Ukraine" post.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2022, 01:24:40 PM »

Absolutely disgusting, if true.

What I think many abortion ban proponents and Republican politicians don't get that statewide bans are primarily a war on poor women, who happen to be disproportionally black or Hispanic. Anyone from a conservative state with enough money is just going to sit in a plane and have an abortion in California, New York or Illinois, or somewhere abroad. All it does is preventing abortions for less wealthy women/families.

Furthermore, this is just a move backwards by a minority wanting to impose their moral views on society as a whole. Of course anything should be done to prevent abortions and late-term be restricted, but a total ban in some states is not a good idea. Generally, I believe abortion should be rare and legal.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #634 on: May 03, 2022, 02:07:18 PM »

What I think many abortion ban proponents and Republican politicians don't get that statewide bans are primarily a war on poor women, who happen to be disproportionally black or Hispanic. Anyone from a conservative state with enough money is just going to sit in a plane and have an abortion in California, New York or Illinois, or somewhere abroad. All it does is preventing abortions for less wealthy women/families.

Furthermore, this is just a move backwards by a minority wanting to impose their moral views on society as a whole. Of course anything should be done to prevent abortions and late-term be restricted, but a total ban in some states is not a good idea. Generally, I believe abortion should be rare and legal.

For them, it's a feature, not a bug.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #635 on: May 03, 2022, 02:15:00 PM »

It's what happens when the Supreme Court becomes a partisan and political organization.

A President can appoint a Supreme court justice that leans his or her way, with no regard to bipartisanship, neutrality,

American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #636 on: May 03, 2022, 02:16:26 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2022, 02:17:01 PM »

so I guess that's the legacy of an old lady with cancer deeming herself too important to retire in Obama's term huh

Didn't RBG object to Roe and think abortion was an Equal Protection thing?
She thought abortion was an "Equal Protection thing," yes, and thought that Roe was poorly timed — basically that a grassroots effort to legalize abortion was already underway, and that allowing that political process to play out might result in a more solid settlement. Alito's opinion does two things with this: first, it cites an article she wrote to support the claim that "[Roe] sparked a national controversy that has embittered our political culture for a half-century." (Footnote 4.) It then goes on to, in a brief paragraph, dismiss the entire Equal Protection argument as "squarely foreclosed by our precedents."

Whatever her thoughts about the merits of Roe, I find it difficult to see Ginsburg being anything other than apoplectic about this opinion; she thought abortion was a clear constitutional right and would merely locate it in a different place than the Roe majority did. Eliminating that right without even seriously engaging with the argument she supported is, I think it's fair to say, not something she would have wanted.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2022, 02:20:51 PM »

How long before this hits 30 pages?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #639 on: May 03, 2022, 02:26:16 PM »

Again I ask of our Republican "friends"...

Imagine you have a 12 year old daughter who is raped with no access to a safe, legal abortion.

How do you feel about it?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #640 on: May 03, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »

Again I ask of our Republican "friends"...

Imagine you have a 12 year old daughter who is raped with no access to a safe, legal abortion.

How do you feel about it?

They think rape is a opportunity.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #641 on: May 03, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #642 on: May 03, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »

Watch the GOP be quick to legalize abortion again when they realize that more Democrat babies are being born
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #643 on: May 03, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »

If Democrats theoretically have the authority to codify Roe into national law and override state law, then what's to stop Republicans from banning abortion nationwide the next time they have a trifecta? Is abortion just going to be banned nationwide in 2025/2029?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #644 on: May 03, 2022, 02:42:51 PM »

There's a reason Christianity is dying among young people in this country. And it has to do with Christians themselves. Idc if you belong to "mainline" church. The face of Christianity in this country is evangelicalism. An ideology using religion as a tool to fight back against any social progress made since the 1950s (plus gutting public education). Luckily for them they have crazy right-wing Catholics to use as an ally.

The only positive with these decisions is that more young people will shun religion as its only use nowadays is a being a tool for the right.

More liberal forms of Christianity which tried to make their theology "relevant" have declined far more quickly and from an earlier date.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #645 on: May 03, 2022, 02:43:33 PM »

Watch the GOP be quick to legalize abortion again when they realize that more Democrat babies are being born
They intend to make sure voting doesn’t matter in 18 years
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #646 on: May 03, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »

If Democrats theoretically have the authority to codify Roe into national law and override state law, then what's to stop Republicans from banning abortion nationwide the next time they have a trifecta? Is abortion just going to be banned nationwide in 2025/2029?

Democrats need to gain enough seats, especially in the Senate, to enact real structural reforms to our system that will ensure this cannot happen in the foreseeable future.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #647 on: May 03, 2022, 03:19:51 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #648 on: May 03, 2022, 03:19:57 PM »

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #649 on: May 03, 2022, 03:23:23 PM »

Obama in another life, could have been a supreme court justice.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies