SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101587 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2725 on: September 30, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »

Being facetious here but just stop having sex and problem solved. I wonder if the righteous ones and the religious ones and the irrational thinkers would like that...and I'm talking about men who think this way, and the misguided females as well. Cut down on the population and also the social services needed for low income folks.

As always, George Carlin is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7gsNMETXM

Mathew 19:14. I guess that’s an interpretation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2726 on: October 03, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »

What’s actually going on the ground in these right to life red and purple states? Are people simply obeying the laws? Are people simply dodging the laws? Are people moving in or out of these states? Law enforcement activities? Activist activities?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2727 on: October 04, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »

Looks like my question has been partially answered.
https://amp.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article266756371.html
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2728 on: October 04, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »

Yup. Who cares about real genuine lives. They just are not as important as an ideal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2729 on: October 07, 2022, 07:39:56 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2730 on: October 11, 2022, 02:22:17 PM »

Was in D.C. the other day seeing some women holding up protest signs and one of them was like "We are NEVER going back."

I thought, "Ah, but we have already gone back, my friend."

Dobbs has shattered something that cannot be regained. A notion which, at least since the 1960s, but perhaps since the abolitionist movement of the early 19th century, has reigned in Western culture -- the notion that social history is a linear process of progress, whereby rights are continually expanded. In my view, that, is one of the most important legacies of Dobbs. It shows that social regression is in fact possible.

A historic "first" has occurred, but not the kind social liberals often celebrate. Rather, for the first time, a major social right that was once considered settled has been taken away. No matter how many rights you think you have as a woman, as a minority, as a gay, as any kind of minority, it can be taken away again.

The only group that rights cannot be taken away from are white men. Anything else, and your rights in the West will always be up for debate -- perpetually up for debate. You cannot sleep soundly. That is the real difference between social classes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2731 on: October 12, 2022, 07:17:04 AM »

Was in D.C. the other day seeing some women holding up protest signs and one of them was like "We are NEVER going back."

Dobbs has shattered something that cannot be regained. A notion which, at least since the 1960s, but perhaps since the abolitionist movement of the early 19th century, has reigned in Western culture -- the notion that social history is a linear process of progress, whereby rights are continually expanded. In my view, that, is one of the most important legacies of Dobbs. It shows that social regression is in fact possible.

A historic "first" has occurred, but not the kind social liberals often celebrate. Rather, for the first time, a major social right that was once considered settled has been taken away. No matter how many rights you think you have as a woman, as a minority, as a gay, as any kind of minority, it can be taken away again.

The only group that rights cannot be taken away from are white men. Anything else, and your rights in the West will always be up for debate -- perpetually up for debate. You cannot sleep soundly. That is the real difference between social classes.

Yeah. It’s basically the rebirth of Ancien Regime and potentially the beginning of the end of “The West” (as the successor of the Salic societies) the same way Afghanistan was for the Soviets or Adrianople was for the Romans (a battle in 376 where a Roman army was destroyed and the emperor killed when he tried to personally lead the interception of armed migrants). And I say “might” because only hindsight will determine if this is some sort of historical Moment of Inertia of some weird hiccup like Prohibition or Dred Scott. By the way, that case is similar to Dobbs in that the court dispositively said a particular right simply is not recognizing (the right for nonwhites to be citizens vs the right for a woman to have or not have children).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2732 on: October 13, 2022, 09:18:55 AM »

Unconventional stuff:

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2733 on: October 13, 2022, 04:16:13 PM »

Unconventional stuff:

Wow! Good stuff. People caring about other people.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2734 on: October 13, 2022, 06:37:42 PM »

Unconventional stuff:

It really shouldn't have to come to this though.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2735 on: October 14, 2022, 01:33:55 PM »

Unconventional stuff:

It really shouldn't have to come to this though.

No, but we have to deal with reality.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2736 on: October 16, 2022, 02:14:34 PM »

wild how the big gov death panels have come to America and all u have is crickets from almost all of those who claim to be "conservative"

basically it seems like big gov can deny any woman life saving medication or whatever bcuz any drug taken in sufficient enough quantity would prob cause an abortion, so basically if someone is on the "wrong side" of the govt for some reason they can just deny their meds and kill them

remember like last year when Texas basically decided to implement East German Stasi style "community reporting" on women who had abortions, and now we've got death panels, who would have thought that the republicans would be the ones to bring east german commie style big govt to the USA, smh.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2737 on: October 16, 2022, 04:56:38 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 08:43:34 AM by Person Man »

wild how the big gov death panels have come to America and all u have is crickets from almost all of those who claim to be "conservative"

basically it seems like big gov can deny any woman life saving medication or whatever bcuz any drug taken in sufficient enough quantity would prob cause an abortion, so basically if someone is on the "wrong side" of the govt for some reason they can just deny their meds and kill them

remember like last year when Texas basically decided to implement East German Stasi style "community reporting" on women who had abortions, and now we've got death panels, who would have thought that the republicans would be the ones to bring east german commie style big govt to the USA, smh.

Again it is just unfathomable how much patience we have for this. Maybe the next election cycle will take care of this and current tactics are working, but barring that, the thing we have to do to stay relevant is to escalate appropriately.

EDIT: My guess is that it involves going into Republican dominated swing states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Arizona, and Georgia and willfully disobeying the laws in way or another and trying to use things like Jury Nullification to tie up the system. That's the next level of disobedience. My guess is that the response would be 1) make abortion a misdemeanor instead of a felony, 2) be more interested in compromise, or 3) they will start cracking down on everyone's rights to "make an example" and gain even more power.

At that point, we would have to consider further next steps. It is difficult to imagine protest becoming resistance, but I imagine that it is not an infinite curve or that half the country will just give up.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2738 on: October 16, 2022, 05:06:58 PM »

The very idea of a government taking away rights from people in the blink of an eye is just a horrifying concept in general. The "land of the free" locks up and surveils more people than civilized countries do. I've been saying since the Patriot Act passed - yes, when I was like nine - that America is becoming a police state.

This meme isn't about abortion but it's a perfect example of how Americans are not a free people, or at least not as free as we claim to be:

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2739 on: October 17, 2022, 03:40:09 PM »

I guess people have been saturated with the abortion issue, and now it's tanking in the polls. The economy continues to astound us all, the continual rising of prices....

I just read that people are thinking the Republicans are looking good now, maybe they will have a blowout election and gain the house and senate. Well, okay, whatever happens. All I can say is that I am so glad I am not worried about abortions and pregnancies and kids and all that at my age. But I do feel sorry for the women and girls in our society presently who are concerned.

I also read that some people are electing to have tube removal and guys are getting vasectomies. They don't want to deal with pregnancy or the complications of it in this new anti-choice climate.

I'm totally not on board with just about anything the Republicans try to do, so if there is a blowout, I am going back into hibernation until people start having their freedoms back and aren't ruled by a bunch of loonies and conspiracy theorists and election fraudists.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2740 on: October 17, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »

I guess people have been saturated with the abortion issue, and now it's tanking in the polls. The economy continues to astound us all, the continual rising of prices....

I just read that people are thinking the Republicans are looking good now, maybe they will have a blowout election and gain the house and senate. Well, okay, whatever happens. All I can say is that I am so glad I am not worried about abortions and pregnancies and kids and all that at my age. But I do feel sorry for the women and girls in our society presently who are concerned.

I also read that some people are electing to have tube removal and guys are getting vasectomies. They don't want to deal with pregnancy or the complications of it in this new anti-choice climate.

I'm totally not on board with just about anything the Republicans try to do, so if there is a blowout, I am going back into hibernation until people start having their freedoms back and aren't ruled by a bunch of loonies and conspiracy theorists and election fraudists.

It really makes me sick that this country is going to sell the concept of autonomy and privacy as well as our own republic down the river for the sake of spite.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2741 on: October 17, 2022, 07:00:16 PM »

It really makes me sick that this country is going to sell the concept of autonomy and privacy as well as our own republic down the river for the sake of spite.

If it turns out that fascists here are as dumb fascists “there”, I think it will eventually pass.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2742 on: October 18, 2022, 11:52:13 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2743 on: October 18, 2022, 11:57:10 AM »

One thing to consider is if both 2022 and 2024 are both Republican waves, Republicans could be set up the say Democrats were in 2009. They might be able to pass a federal abortion ban. My guess is that they might have enough defections to take the current 15 week ban and make it a 18 week ban or something. They could even have the votes to do a heartbeat law, though.  I'm guessing if it came to that, Democrats have two choices. Defund the ban and sign an executive order refusing to enforce it or use that as an excuse to overturn the filibuster.

Signing a substantial abortion ban will have the same effect that Obamacare had or the effect repealing the filibuster would.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2744 on: October 18, 2022, 08:09:47 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2022, 12:06:01 PM by Person Man »

Another serious/sarcastic sh**tpost:
If you go to a convenience store on a road trip through a state where abortion is illegal, do you think the clerk would understand why you say “May Christ be with you!” when you normally thank them upon check out? Would it be something if they are like “huh?” And you are like “shhhh… I know who’s  in charge around here”. What if they replied back with “And with your spirit!”

$50 if one of you does it.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2745 on: October 19, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »

If you go to a convenience store on a road trip through a state where abortion is illegal, do you think the clerk would understand why you say “May Christ be with you!” when you normally thank them upon check out? Would it be something if they are like “huh?” And you are like “shhhh… I know who’s  in charge around here”. What if they replied back with “And with your spirit!”

You're more likely then not to just be seen as a right wing loony evangelical.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2746 on: October 22, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »

You're more likely then not to just be seen as a right wing loony evangelical.

And more likely than not, so is the cashier. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2747 on: October 26, 2022, 08:24:04 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/18/illegal-abortion-pill-network/
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2748 on: October 26, 2022, 07:23:00 PM »

I got through some of it, it was quite long. But very interesting. I am reminded of the prohibition days of our history and no matter how much they tried to ban alcohol, all they did was create an "alternative" network of delivery for the product. And I'm sure many people died in the process.

And then they found out that you can't regulate something as fundamental as drinking alcohol. People will do it no matter what. Same with abortions. Women will have them no matter what. We can do it the safer way, or the prohibition way -- which we know doesn't work. But some people in our society have the need to reinvent the wheel, and the rest of us are stuck in their warped thinking until we find a way out.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2749 on: October 26, 2022, 07:44:07 PM »

The very idea of a government taking away rights from people in the blink of an eye is just a horrifying concept in general. The "land of the free" locks up and surveils more people than civilized countries do. I've been saying since the Patriot Act passed - yes, when I was like nine - that America is becoming a police state.

I know this is an old post that I'm replying to, but I think you're definitely right about all of this. I've been noticing since long before Trump that the American people (not just the politicians, but the people themselves) are very eager to see rights taken away. "Live and let live" as a philosophy is totally gone, at least from what I can see. I also think we're dangerously close to losing the 1st Amendment too. Obviously it'll still exist, but I would not be surprised if there's a dramatic reinterpretation of it in the near future that limits the speech it protects, I'm betting due to "think of the children" legislation, which is a mindset that is very prominent now.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies