SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:22:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101556 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2625 on: September 14, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2626 on: September 14, 2022, 03:23:03 PM »

A 15-week abortion ban is extremely unpopular.

I actually genuinely hadn't realized how much Dobbs had tanked support for it. Jesus.

Only Half Of Republicans still Support it !!!

Has it gotten to the point where I am more socially conservative than the average Republican voter
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #2627 on: September 14, 2022, 03:36:34 PM »

The things a concerted pro-abortion media campaign across nearly every platform can do for you
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2628 on: September 14, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »

(snipped some quotes to shorten it)

Has it gotten to the point where I am more socially conservative than the average Republican voter

To be fair some of it is likely the changed language on the poll question, which the graphic notes.

I could imagine there is more support for a version of the 15 week ban that Graham has, which includes exceptions for rape and incest.

But not that much support, where it's plurality popular again?

I think there would be more support if it was assured that it was a firm standard, i.e. 15 weeks would be both a floor and a ceiling.  But Graham's bill makes it a ceiling, and states are free to enact more restrictive laws, but not less restrictive laws.

There's also a good point I saw in another thread that the Republicans are in much the same position with respect to abortion that the Democrats are with gun control.  People simply don't believe that they would stop at enacting an apparently moderate, acceptable compromise, but would continue to push for tighter restrictions.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2629 on: September 14, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »

I mean aren’t you always insisting that the Republican Party has moderated on social issues?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2630 on: September 14, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »

I mean aren’t you always insisting that the Republican Party has moderated on social issues?

I didn’t think they would move towards the outright liberal Postion on the issue
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2631 on: September 14, 2022, 05:18:44 PM »

I didn’t think they would move towards the outright liberal Postion on the issue

It's really surprising to see this many more pro-choice R's than pro-life D's.  I mean for 25 years the theory was that pro-life economic liberals swung tons of elections to the right because of Roe.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2632 on: September 14, 2022, 05:32:56 PM »

Funniest thing she has intentionally said in years
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2633 on: September 14, 2022, 05:56:13 PM »

Funniest thing she has intentionally said in years

I’d say they believe that life begins at the fourth round of Jaeger-Bombs wherever Diplo was playing  on Saturday Night but sure. That was a good one.

Sounds like a game. “When does Life begin?”
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2634 on: September 14, 2022, 06:01:08 PM »

new_patomic

« Reply #2635 on: September 14, 2022, 06:11:17 PM »

I want to say punishing doctors has traditionally polled in the absolute gutter, even compared to those who support 15-week bans or identify as pro-life.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2636 on: September 14, 2022, 07:41:11 PM »

My theory is that Republicans feel a compulsion to be in charge and in control and with the Democrats pushing a same-sex marriage bill, Graham thought he would seize the initiative and do it back to them, even though it would be so much smarter to let it lie.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2637 on: September 14, 2022, 11:01:33 PM »

Least deranged pro-lifer
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2638 on: September 14, 2022, 11:08:00 PM »

I actually genuinely hadn't realized how much Dobbs had tanked support for it. Jesus.

They noted in the fine print that they said "no rape or incest exceptions" in the summer poll when they didn't in the spring one.  While I hate that it's the case, people believe in rape exceptions (which make zero philosophical sense if you believe that life begins at conception).  The change would almost certainly be less stark if they had keep the question consistent.

And, I'll also note that abortion polling is very tricky and dependent on how questions are worded.  I've seen other polls show much greater initial levels of support for 15 week bans.  I even remember one showing that a 6 week ban with exceptions was close to 50-50 (now, that was in 2021, but after Texas's law took effect).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2639 on: September 14, 2022, 11:30:05 PM »

They noted in the fine print that they said "no rape or incest exceptions" in the summer poll when they didn't in the spring one.  While I hate that it's the case, people believe in rape exceptions (which make zero philosophical sense if you believe that life begins at conception).  The change would almost certainly be less stark if they had keep the question consistent.

And, I'll also note that abortion polling is very tricky and dependent on how questions are worded.  I've seen other polls show much greater initial levels of support for 15 week bans.  I even remember one showing that a 6 week ban with exceptions was close to 50-50 (now, that was in 2021, but after Texas's law took effect).

Well if you don't trust polls then luckily we have a very recent referendum to look to.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2640 on: September 15, 2022, 06:21:21 AM »

The things a concerted pro-abortion media campaign across nearly every platform can do for you

Voters switched immediately after Dobbs starting with the NE-1 special election.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2641 on: September 15, 2022, 06:23:04 AM »

If you think of the pregnancy as an ongoing part of the rape?  Many other laws against killing have exceptions for killing in self-defense.  The general pro-life view is that the choice regarding whether or not to accept a pregnancy happens when you choose whether or not to have sex (and/or what birth control to use when you do).  This person didn't have a choice. 
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2642 on: September 15, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »

Least deranged pro-lifer

WTF is this idiot talking about?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2643 on: September 15, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »

I think he's basically saying it's all or nothing for him, unless they ban ALL abortions then it's not worth it.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2644 on: September 15, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »

I think he's basically saying it's all or nothing for him, unless they ban ALL abortions then it's not worth it.

He just said he would let a burning building filled with children die if he couldn't save them all. That's just pure lunacy.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2645 on: September 15, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »

There is no trendline here.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2646 on: September 15, 2022, 12:33:35 PM »

Rape exceptions make perfect sense if oppose abortion not because you believe it murders children, but because you believe it encourages promiscuity.  A lot of Republicans aren't really pro-life so much as anti-sex.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2647 on: September 15, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »

The punishment of the idealist consists in the triumph of his cause. (GOMEZ DAVILA)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2648 on: September 15, 2022, 11:01:16 PM »

If you think of the pregnancy as an ongoing part of the rape?  Many other laws against killing have exceptions for killing in self-defense.  The general pro-life view is that the choice regarding whether or not to accept a pregnancy happens when you choose whether or not to have sex (and/or what birth control to use when you do).  This person didn't have a choice. 

The "tacit consent" framing is a widespread pro-life view, but there's something unsettlingly sexist about it that a lot of more philosophically-moderate pro-lifers notice and correct for, which ironically involves adopting a more extreme position On The Issues in practice.
new_patomic

« Reply #2649 on: September 15, 2022, 11:22:36 PM »

I used to be one of those people who would say "bUt iF yOUrE PRo_LiFe YoU CanT BE In faVOr of ExEmpTiONs" but honestly.... meh.

Sure, for the people who literally think it's murder, that's awkward. But most don't actually ascribe to that (or don't mean it) and there are a ton of issues where people aren't pretending to be Greek philosophers sitting around pondering the extremest extent of every position. Most people unironically aligned with Roe's understanding of how this should work. The woman has a legitimate interest in bodily autonomy, and the state has a legitimate interest in protecting both the health of the mother and the fetus, and at some point one overtakes the other.

Which is why whenever people bring up "late-term" abortions the usual liberal answer is that these already aren't permitted except in absolutely horrific circumstances where absolutely necessary, not that actually we're philosophically okay with all abortion being legal up until the 40th week.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies