SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101459 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2275 on: July 11, 2022, 09:04:21 PM »

No it isn’t , the mainstream media is largely Democratic Party hacks at this point who look to make the GOP look as bad as possible.

Trump was right when he called them fake news except the point that right wing cable outlets like Fox are fake too

But there's no evidence that "the media" told a lie at all. The media reported that a doctor claimed this happened, and at worst it will turn out that the doctor lied. And the fact that the rape was not reported to police is not really evidence that the rape did not happen, as the majority of them are not reported. And if the story is true, I think it's pretty likely that the family of the victim does not want to become the target of a major national news story and does not want the doctor "proving" that the story is real.

You are definitely stating as fact something that has not been established, and even if it does turn out that the story did not happen, you're putting the worst possible spin on it.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2276 on: July 11, 2022, 11:45:37 PM »

This is a mess.

Who would have thought overturning a court decision on a major social issue would detonate ?

Oh wait.....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2277 on: July 12, 2022, 05:18:59 AM »

Women don't even need a prescription for an abortion pill next yr and there are birth control pills so all this abortion talk is not that big of a Deal if the Rs lose just like they lost in 2020 it's due to excessive tax cuts to the richest American people
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2278 on: July 12, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »

No it isn’t , the mainstream media is largely Democratic Party hacks at this point who look to make the GOP look as bad as possible.

Trump was right when he called them fake news except the point that right wing cable outlets like Fox are fake too

But there's no evidence that "the media" told a lie at all. The media reported that a doctor claimed this happened, and at worst it will turn out that the doctor lied. And the fact that the rape was not reported to police is not really evidence that the rape did not happen, as the majority of them are not reported. And if the story is true, I think it's pretty likely that the family of the victim does not want to become the target of a major national news story and does not want the doctor "proving" that the story is real.

You are definitely stating as fact something that has not been established, and even if it does turn out that the story did not happen, you're putting the worst possible spin on it.

Ok so it was journalistic malpractice
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2279 on: July 12, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

You really are missing the point of his post.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2280 on: July 12, 2022, 11:50:53 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2022, 11:56:11 AM by Antifacist Ghost of Ruin »

You must be joking. If the mainstream media deliberately set out to demonize and discredit the GOP (the way Fox News does to anyone who disagrees with their party line), coverage would be much, much different. As it is, the mainstream media consistently reinforce the GOP's legitimacy.

I mean, here's the top line story at CNN:

Americans may get the one presidential race the country doesn’t want in 2024
But the closeness of the hypothetical Biden-Trump matchup also points to a more profound theme that is emerging as the US barrels toward 2024 and has implications beyond the identity of the person who sits in the Oval Office in 2025. A country mired in multiple crises, politically estranged within and facing risky international flashpoints may get a 2024 contest between two candidates whose answers haven’t worked over the previous eight years and whom millions of people would like to see retire from the stage to make room for younger, fresher faces.

Such a scenario would be an indictment of a party system that is already fused into dysfunction by hyper partisanship and Trump’s attack on the 2020 election. It would likely leave the victor in 2024 without a workable mandate at a time when Washington is failing to respond to the country’s longer-term needs. And it would further strain faith among voters about the political system.

Now, Republicans may find the article unflattering because it fails to leave sufficient spittle on Trump's buttocks to appeal to them, but it's hardly the work of "Democratic Party hacks".

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2281 on: July 12, 2022, 12:01:49 PM »

This is just delusional.

The Democratic Party hacks who decided that Hilary Clinton’s email was the defining issue of our times, the ones that ran 1,000,000,000 pieces about the Afghanistan withdrawal (that Trump’s dumbass treaty forced us into but you never hear that part) because apparently Joe Biden was supposed to fix the Afghan army in 5 months when the previous administrations couldn’t do it for 20 years, the ones that ran daily ‘here’s why lifelong Republicans in dinners love Trump’ pieces , the ooh scared CRT people, the ‘Biden fails to magically make Republicans agree with him in huge blow to administration’ people, the every single op-Ed is why Democrats need to just adopt Republican policies people, the bipartisanship is magic people.

What color is the sky in your world?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2282 on: July 12, 2022, 12:32:20 PM »

or that most women and girls are afraid to report abuse. The Title IX stuff is bizarre, no matter who is in charge of it, but a lot of it is based on rectifying this fact.
Respect and Compassion
United States

« Reply #2283 on: July 12, 2022, 12:39:00 PM »

A lot of women who don't want to be forcely bred will move to blue states or stay in blue states when they would have otherwise moved. I wonder what this will mean for cultures in pro-choice and anti-choice America for the years to come.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2284 on: July 12, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »

Lol the only reason why Rs are in trouble isn't just abortion they give Giant tax cuts to millionaires and Trump, Wayne Newton and Oprah make 2=2B each and athletes make all the money and income inequality have gotten worse since Occupy Washington

Trump never elevate candidates that talk about urban Poverty like Vance or Budd or DeSantis because they get their monies Rs not Oprah from Koch bros

As I previously said there are birth control pills and condemn and ant abortion pills that next yr will need no prescription for them that terminated a pregnancy for 11 wks
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2285 on: July 12, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »

A lot of women who don't want to be forcely bred will move to blue states or stay in blue states when they would have otherwise moved. I wonder what this will mean for cultures in pro-choice and anti-choice America for the years to come.

I have been talking about a potential demographic crisis caused by this but no one seems to care or believes me.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2286 on: July 12, 2022, 02:29:58 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2287 on: July 12, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »

I have been talking about a potential demographic crisis caused by this but no one seems to care or believes me.

I definitely think you're onto something, but at the same time I always question how much of a motivator political or social issues can be for someone to upend their life and move just for that reason. While I wish people would move en masse for reasons of changing the country's political dynamic (a la the idea of taking a million or so Californians from the Bay Area and distributing them across the Dakotas and Wyoming to significantly alter elections there) but people live where they do for a plethora of reasons and moving for political ends might not be worth the means for the average person and what they actually prioritize in their life.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2288 on: July 13, 2022, 11:55:44 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2022, 12:00:32 PM by Koharu »

FYI: The 10-year-old girl did get pregnant and did indeed have to go to Indiana for an abortion.

Columbus police were made aware of the girl's pregnancy through a referral by Franklin County Children Services that was made by her mother on June 22, Det. Jeffrey Huhn testified Wednesday morning at Fuentes' arraignment. On June 30, the girl underwent a medical abortion in Indianapolis, Huhn said.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/13/columbus-man-charged-rape-10-year-old-led-abortion-in-indiana/10046625002/

On Wednesday, once news of the arraignment came, (Ohio AG Dave) Yost issued a single sentence statement:

"We rejoice anytime a child rapist is taken off the streets."
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2289 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:48 PM »

"Conservacord"'s cultish "eye-opening" made a total fool of OSR. Hopefully he comes to his senses and gets out of that vile snakepit before they warp his personality into something totally unrecognizable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2290 on: July 13, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »

Ok retraced my previous post in this thread but the Attorney General did point out the Ohio law gives exceptions to cases like this
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2291 on: July 13, 2022, 12:42:35 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2022, 02:09:56 PM by Old School Republican »

FYI: The 10-year-old girl did get pregnant and did indeed have to go to Indiana for an abortion.

Columbus police were made aware of the girl's pregnancy through a referral by Franklin County Children Services that was made by her mother on June 22, Det. Jeffrey Huhn testified Wednesday morning at Fuentes' arraignment. On June 30, the girl underwent a medical abortion in Indianapolis, Huhn said.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/13/columbus-man-charged-rape-10-year-old-led-abortion-in-indiana/10046625002/

On Wednesday, once news of the arraignment came, (Ohio AG Dave) Yost issued a single sentence statement:

"We rejoice anytime a child rapist is taken off the streets."

This man should be executed for this Horrific  crime
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2292 on: July 13, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »

"Conservacord"'s cultish "eye-opening" made a total fool of OSR. Hopefully he comes to his senses and gets out of that vile snakepit before they warp his personality into something totally unrecognizable.

They still left out the fact that Ohio’s laws has exceptions for cases like this but as I said I have retraced my previous post
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #2293 on: July 13, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »

"Vile snakepit"..

I wish the cord was as villainous as you describe.. but sadly no.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2294 on: July 13, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »

They still left out the fact that Ohio’s laws has exceptions for cases like this but as I said I have retraced my previous post

They did? I thought it was well established that this specific case would have been theoretically legal, but that providers are very either unequipped or scared to do it in this time of uncertainty.

Kinda like how abortion is still theoretically legal in Mississippi in the case of rape if there is a filed police report, but the 1 remaining abortion clinic is likely to close and none of the hospitals are going to do it either, so it will remain unavailable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2295 on: July 13, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »

They did? I thought it was well established that this specific case would have been theoretically legal, but that providers are very either unequipped or scared to do it in this time of uncertainty.

Kinda like how abortion is still theoretically legal in Mississippi in the case of rape if there is a filed police report, but the 1 remaining abortion clinic is likely to close and none of the hospitals are going to do it either, so it will remain unavailable.

Yah the attorney general said it’s legal in cases like this .
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2296 on: July 13, 2022, 01:37:01 PM »

Abortion is only legal at that point in Ohio to save the life of the mother. A quick glance at Wiki says rape exceptions are not included, so whether charges would have been pressed or not it isn't hard to imagine why the girl would be driven across state lines.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2297 on: July 13, 2022, 01:40:41 PM »

Abortion is only legal at that point in Ohio to save the life of the mother. A quick glance at Wiki says rape exceptions are not included, so whether charges would have been pressed or not it isn't hard to imagine why the girl would be driven across state lines.

Well this would qualify for the life exception according to the attorney general
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2298 on: July 13, 2022, 01:56:47 PM »

That was already the probable case before he said so. The problem is that Ohio law is vague and doctors and providers may not be prepared to perform this generally illegal procedure and all of the potential fallout on short notice. Yes, probably this doctor would have been OK this time, but how can they guarantee a prosecutor won't coming sniffing around to investigate? You know every anti-abortion prosecutor wants to be the first high profile case to put a doctor in jail over this.

So even if a hospital is equipped and theoretically willing to perform a technically legal abortion (something that is not the case in Mississippi), there is going to be some extreme reluctance without more explicit laws and protections for the doctors in these situations. And that's not too much to ask for, if this was uncontroversially legal and available in a red state like Indiana.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2299 on: July 13, 2022, 01:58:31 PM »

Well this would qualify for the life exception according to the attorney general

As glad as I am that the Attorney General would interpret the law this way, I will note that a strict textualist interpretation that the current Supreme Court majority believes in could easily say that this is an incorrect view of the law from the Attorney General.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies