SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101433 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: July 07, 2022, 05:09:46 PM »
« edited: July 07, 2022, 08:54:34 PM by Person Man »

I’d just do it and dare them to make me a martyr. The GoFundMe page set up for me would provide enough for me to retire if I was banned from working forever. Yeah maybe I am talking sh**t. I’m talking sh**t. Someone eventually has to do this. That much I can tell you. Hell, I imagine the Netherlands, Canada, or Finland would provide you with asylum if you are facing down “some years”. That America has become a source of refugees would be humiliating to these red state governors. There’s nothing that says “you’re a poor country” more than that!

Those millions aren't going to do her any good if she's arrested and sent to prison. And she certainly wouldn't be allowed to leave the country or even post bail most likely.

Best case scenario she gets a jury to nullify, but that's a dicey proposition.
Do you think someone will take their chances? She would have to be denied bail in order to not be able to seek asylum or you could it, not tell anyone, and then seek asylum.

Yes, someone will probably try because these sad cases are a lot more common than people realize.

But you just know that every conservative prosecutor in the no abortion states is frothing at the mouth at the idea of holding the first trial of an abortion doctor and locking that person up for decades (or life), so I can see the reluctance of a doctor to throw their life away. There definitely won't be any bail given, since they could just go to a blue state and get "asylum."

I guess eventually their state would elect a pro-choice governor who would pardon (assuming no state actually approves the death penalty for an abortion doctor).

Will conservative prosecutors in Pennsylvania try to extradite an Ohio doctor to Ohio authorities?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2226 on: July 08, 2022, 12:36:41 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 12:41:16 AM by HillGoose »

can one of the republicans explain to me how this isn't a straight up communist decision? literally giving the big govt control over ppl's medical decisions.

i mean do u guys not see the slippery slope towards the possibility they could implement big govt death panels and forcibly euthanize ppl. bcuz now the govt gets to decide everybody's medical decisions.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2227 on: July 08, 2022, 12:41:27 AM »

can one of the republicans explain to me how this isn't a straight up communist decision? literally giving the big govt control over ppl's medical decisions.

i mean do u guys not see the slippery slope towards big govt death panels forcibly euthanizing ppl. bcuz now the govt gets to decide everybody's medical decisions.

I mean the government has laws against murder and if someone thinks its murder they will obviously support banning it.

Keep in mind Ron Paul , one of the most principled libertarians you can find I believe supports banning it too.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2228 on: July 08, 2022, 06:00:08 AM »

How is pitching crude anti-Semitism consistent with being a principled Libertarian?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2229 on: July 08, 2022, 07:23:38 AM »

Kavanaugh was protested while dining at a Morton’s Steakhouse in Washington D.C.

Justices seem unhappy that they’re being exposed to the kind of vigorous free speech and dissent that Planned Parenthood had operated under for decades with their approval.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2230 on: July 08, 2022, 07:46:38 AM »

Kavanaugh was protested while dining at a Morton’s Steakhouse in Washington D.C.

Justices seem unhappy that they’re being exposed to the kind of vigorous free speech and dissent that Planned Parenthood had operated under for decades with their approval.
Look Kavanaugh is of the simple opinion that politics shouldn’t interfere with his personal life, granted his politics can interfere with yours but not vice versa
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2231 on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:05 AM »

As long as the protests were not violent, there’s no problem with protesters protesting. Did he honestly expect this wouldn’t happen?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2232 on: July 08, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2233 on: July 08, 2022, 02:36:43 PM »

American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #2234 on: July 08, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »

We've a left-wing Irish parlementarian named Mick Wallace who accuses Obama to break his promises about abortion.

It seems many far-left militants hate more democrats than they hate republicans.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2235 on: July 08, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »

Tell me why people should vote the Republican Party? Do they enjoy being threatened and having their freedoms taken away? What is their I.Q. level?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2236 on: July 08, 2022, 06:40:09 PM »

Hopefully they wouldn't be able to tell you, since people who know their own IQs off the tops of their heads are some of the most insufferable pricks in America.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2237 on: July 08, 2022, 06:42:38 PM »

Hopefully they wouldn't be able to tell you, since people who know their own IQs off the tops of their heads are some of the most insufferable pricks in America.

Agreed. IQ is a completely asinine concept on top of that. All it really tells you about somebody is how good they are at taking an IQ test. It has no real meaning or practicality.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2238 on: July 09, 2022, 08:35:13 AM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2239 on: July 09, 2022, 09:12:37 AM »

Here's to pregnant women beginning to claim additional dependents on tax returns. You can't have it both ways, indeed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2240 on: July 09, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »

So now 17 year olds can vote and 20 year olds drink?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2241 on: July 09, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »

So now 17 year olds can vote and 20 year olds drink?

Those are both tied to an adult being a specific age, so I don't see how a pregnancy would be relevant.

A more interesting question would be deportation of a pregnant woman, but that probably wouldn't come up unless fetal personhood was recognized at the federal level.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2242 on: July 09, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »

Good for her. And guaranteed there's more creative thinking to come.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2243 on: July 09, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »

Not been on the forum for a while so this may have been discussed but what do you guys think of the idea to nuke the filibuster and legalize abortion nationwide?

I guess it's kind of moot because the SC would almost surely strike that down, but that seems like a dangerous road to go down because you're setting up Republicans to not just repeal it when they get in power again but to use that precedent to ban abortion in all 50 states in Congress. As it stands it's going to be legal in the overwhelming majority of the country, especially going by population.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2244 on: July 09, 2022, 04:15:15 PM »

Oh boy, this is a legal mess.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2245 on: July 09, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »

Not been on the forum for a while so this may have been discussed but what do you guys think of the idea to nuke the filibuster and legalize abortion nationwide?

I guess it's kind of moot because the SC would almost surely strike that down, but that seems like a dangerous road to go down because you're setting up Republicans to not just repeal it when they get in power again but to use that precedent to ban abortion in all 50 states in Congress. As it stands it's going to be legal in the overwhelming majority of the country, especially going by population.

It can only hurt the pro-choice side.  Either SCOTUS rules that there is no federal issue and most of the red state abortion bans are locked in for the century or SCOTUS allows it but then it flip-flops between legal nationwide and banned nationwide every 4-8 years if the filibuster is gone.  It only makes sense for either side to pursue federal legislation if there is a 60+ vote bipartisan deal to be had. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2246 on: July 09, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »

It can only hurt the pro-choice side.  Either SCOTUS rules that there is no federal issue and most of the red state abortion bans are locked in for the century or SCOTUS allows it but then it flip-flops between legal nationwide and banned nationwide every 4-8 years if the filibuster is gone.It only makes sense for either side to pursue federal legislation if there is a 60+ vote bipartisan deal to be had.

With all due respect, not only is your overall conclusion wrong here, but the bolded part is simply not grounded in anything resembling reality and completely ignores almost every major political lesson of the last decade.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2247 on: July 09, 2022, 05:15:36 PM »

It can only hurt the pro-choice side.  Either SCOTUS rules that there is no federal issue and most of the red state abortion bans are locked in for the century or SCOTUS allows it but then it flip-flops between legal nationwide and banned nationwide every 4-8 years if the filibuster is gone.It only makes sense for either side to pursue federal legislation if there is a 60+ vote bipartisan deal to be had.

With all due respect, not only is your overall conclusion wrong here, but the bolded part is simply not grounded in anything resembling reality and completely ignores almost every major political lesson of the last decade.

If federal abortion policy can be set with only 50 senate votes or even worse, by executive order, it will flip-flip between banned and legalized every time the opposite party takes office.  We see this with the Mexico City Policy, which has been immediately repealed by every Democratic president and then immediately reinstated by every Republican president since Reagan.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2248 on: July 09, 2022, 06:02:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure they say that abortion laws are designed to protect 'potential life' so they get around this problem, and the Supreme Court did not touch the idea of fetal personhood. This would be a problem for states that use that method to ban abortions though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2249 on: July 09, 2022, 06:08:04 PM »

If federal abortion policy can be set with only 50 senate votes or even worse, by executive order, it will flip-flip between banned and legalized every time the opposite party takes office.  We see this with the Mexico City Policy, which has been immediately repealed by every Democratic president and then immediately reinstated by every Republican president since Reagan.

Elections have consequences; that’s kind of the idea. 
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies