SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:48:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101485 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: July 05, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »

Disturbing. It's all part of a broader alt-right movement to radically change the face of our country.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2176 on: July 05, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »

YouGov poll highlights:

73% support abortion in cases of rape or incest.

57% support a federal law protecting abortion in at least the first trimester.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/06/29/abortion-economistyougov-poll-june-25-28-2022
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2177 on: July 05, 2022, 02:41:47 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2178 on: July 05, 2022, 02:44:26 PM »

I think the only thing these polls consistently show is Americans don’t know what the hell they’re talking about when it comes to abortion. But it’s worth nothing this is one of the best polls for Dobbs defenders so far and still a solid majority are against the decision.

I honestly think most Americans aren’t really thinking about what weeks or trimesters mean in regards to the state of a pregnancy when answering these questions though. It’s the only way to explain some of the baffling contradictions. I think the overall picture is of an America that solidly supports abortions in at least some cases up to at least a certain point, but is all over the place when it comes to the specifics.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2179 on: July 05, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »

I think the only thing these polls consistently show is Americans don’t know what the hell they’re talking about when it comes to abortion. But it’s worth nothing this is one of the best polls for Dobbs defenders so far and still a solid majority are against the decision.

I honestly think most Americans aren’t really thinking about what weeks or trimesters mean in regards to the state of a pregnancy when answering these questions though.

Issue polls are generally worthless , so my belief is the best way to get a good snapshot on what public opinion is by the results of the Kansas referendum and then extrapolate from there  .
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2180 on: July 05, 2022, 03:08:04 PM »

I honestly think most Americans aren’t really thinking about what weeks or trimesters mean in regards to the state of a pregnancy when answering these questions though.

Issue polls are generally worthless , so my belief is the best way to get a good snapshot on what public opinion is by the results of the Kansas referendum and then extrapolate from there  .

IMO it passes, but by single digits, notably closer than Trump vs. Biden.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2181 on: July 05, 2022, 03:16:56 PM »

If it’s substantially under performs, even if it passes, It would tell us that these sort of laws aren’t really sustainable in states left of Trump+5. If it fails, that would mean that almost every state where abortion can be legal by popular vote, it will pass so long as the writers of the referendum don’t ask for too much.
Although if it does really well, that could mean that eventually vast majority of states will adopt similar measures.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2182 on: July 05, 2022, 04:51:50 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2022, 05:01:32 PM by Skill and Chance »

If it’s substantially under performs, even if it passes, It would tell us that these sort of laws aren’t really sustainable in states left of Trump+5. If it fails, that would mean that almost every state where abortion can be legal by popular vote, it will pass so long as the writers of the referendum don’t ask for too much.
Although if it does really well, that could mean that eventually vast majority of states will adopt similar measures.

Hmmm... that would make the Roe overturn roughly analogous to the repeal of Prohibition with the 21st Amendment.  IMO that's the closest plausible outcome to a pro-life total victory.  33 years later, the last statewide dry law was repealed and only 9 states have any counties that remain fully dry today. In 5 of the 9 states, it's just a handful of counties.  In this scenario, elective abortion would probably only remain legal in NYC, coastal California, the D.C. area, and parts of New England by the 2050's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2183 on: July 05, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »

Hmmm... that would make the Roe overturn roughly analogous to the repeal of Prohibition with the 21st Amendment.  IMO that's the closest plausible outcome to a pro-life total victory.  33 years later, the last statewide dry law was repealed and only 9 states have any counties that remain fully dry today. In 5 of the 9 states, it's just a handful of counties.  In this scenario, elective abortion would probably only remain legal in NYC, coastal California, the D.C. area, and parts of New England by the 2050's.

Just a little more tolerated than assisted suicide or prostitution, then. What do you expect?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2184 on: July 05, 2022, 08:45:31 PM »

It's been a while, but the South Dakota and Mississippi abortion votes were around 15 points more pro-choice than the previous presidential election. IF that pattern holds, Kansas should reject an anti-abortion law by something like 57-43. I would say it's a pretty good victory for the anti-abortion side if it passes at all, because it would imply some clear movement on the issue in the last 10-15 years.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2185 on: July 05, 2022, 09:17:55 PM »

I honestly think most Americans aren’t really thinking about what weeks or trimesters mean in regards to the state of a pregnancy when answering these questions though. It’s the only way to explain some of the baffling contradictions. I think the overall picture is of an America that solidly supports abortions in at least some cases up to at least a certain point, but is all over the place when it comes to the specifics.

I have to wonder if a large part of these numbers is support after x number of weeks of *knowing you are pregnant* rather than weeks of simply *being* pregnant.

Banning abortion at six weeks is utterly absurd considering that it takes time for someone to know if they are pregnant and given that it isn't something that can always be done suddenly with no wait. This is particularly true in states that erect legal barriers to delay getting an abortion, but also for financial and transportation reasons and the simple fact that making that decision is often a very difficult one.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2186 on: July 05, 2022, 09:20:35 PM »

the man is just going to keep chipping away at are freedoms and turning everything big gov communist

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2187 on: July 05, 2022, 09:31:42 PM »

Nah, these things tend to go down like lead balloons when the public actually gets to vote on them.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2188 on: July 06, 2022, 01:10:21 AM »

538's podcast brought up a good point, I think part of the reason that we see a lot of inconsistencies in the more specific questions is because it's just a really uncomfortable topic for most people, and they don't really like thinking about it beyond broad statements like "it should be legal in most cases" or "it should be illegal in most cases".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2189 on: July 06, 2022, 01:36:06 AM »

It's been a while, but the South Dakota and Mississippi abortion votes were around 15 points more pro-choice than the previous presidential election. IF that pattern holds, Kansas should reject an anti-abortion law by something like 57-43. I would say it's a pretty good victory for the anti-abortion side if it passes at all, because it would imply some clear movement on the issue in the last 10-15 years.

And this is a R+4 and not a D+8 year. So maybe it winning by 5 or 6 points wouldn’t be unexpected though Kansas in 2020 is like 5 or 10% less Republican than South Dakota was in 2004.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2190 on: July 06, 2022, 07:42:28 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 07:55:54 AM by Skill and Chance »

Just a little more tolerated than assisted suicide or prostitution, then. What do you expect?

I think this is the most likely outcome if it isn't settled relatively quickly with a federal 12 or 15 week European style law.  You have to keep in mind that the education systems in states where it is banned or heavily restricted will undoubtedly teach students that it is a barbaric practice.  These states already have higher birthrates than the most pro-choice states  today and this will only be accentuated after the bans have been in effect for multiple years.  I don't think you can have a political issue this directly related to reproduction that's left up to a vote where the explicitly pro-reproduction side doesn't tend to win more of those votes over multiple generations?

So leaving it the the states should structurally favor the pro-life side in the medium-long run, particularly in states with the initiative/referendum.  Maybe not quite that dramatic of a pro-life victory as I originally depicted because the core NE states don't have the initiative/referendum or elected judges so it would be very difficult to get to the final step where it gets heavily restricted or devolves to the counties there. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2191 on: July 06, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 08:27:17 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

This is devestating to Rs, all the polls have been bad since Roe they haven't come up since the abortion debate but we already know they came up because of Ukraine and inflated gas prices but it hurts us in Airline prices I live in the Suburbs we don't have to Drive we can take Amtrak, Metra and Pace in all major cities for work and we don't have to grocery shop go to stores shop online like clothes, yes people with cars take public transportation

It's possible Beto, Crist, Ryan, Beasley can all be elected as a check with 2)3 rds R legislatures, Beto is now 6 pts behind not 10

Andy Beshear is favored in 2023 he was elected the first time with 2)3 rds R state legislatures and we have D Govs in MI, WI and PA with R legislatures
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2192 on: July 06, 2022, 10:29:05 AM »

And this is a R+4 and not a D+8 year. So maybe it winning by 5 or 6 points wouldn’t be unexpected though Kansas in 2020 is like 5 or 10% less Republican than South Dakota was in 2004.

I don't think people's opinion on abortion is subject to the partisan trends of any particular year in the same way that what party they decide to vote for is. I guess we'll see.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2193 on: July 06, 2022, 10:33:54 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 10:50:01 AM by Person Man »

Issue polls are generally worthless , so my belief is the best way to get a good snapshot on what public opinion is by the results of the Kansas referendum and then extrapolate from there  .

Hmmm... that would make the Roe overturn roughly analogous to the repeal of Prohibition with the 21st Amendment.  IMO that's the closest plausible outcome to a pro-life total victory.  33 years later, the last statewide dry law was repealed and only 9 states have any counties that remain fully dry today. In 5 of the 9 states, it's just a handful of counties.  In this scenario, elective abortion would probably only remain legal in NYC, coastal California, the D.C. area, and parts of New England by the 2050's.

I think this is the most likely outcome if it isn't settled relatively quickly with a federal 12 or 15 week European style law.  You have to keep in mind that the education systems in states where it is banned or heavily restricted will undoubtedly teach students that it is a barbaric practice.  These states already have higher birthrates than the most pro-choice states  today and this will only be accentuated after the bans have been in effect for multiple years.  I don't think you can have a political issue this directly related to reproduction that's left up to a vote where the explicitly pro-reproduction side doesn't tend to win more of those votes over multiple generations?

So leaving it the the states should structurally favor the pro-life side in the medium-long run, particularly in states with the initiative/referendum.  Maybe not quite that dramatic of a pro-life victory as I originally depicted because the core NE states don't have the initiative/referendum or elected judges so it would be very difficult to get to the final step where it gets heavily restricted or devolves to the counties there.  
If this was kind of true, we would have never gotten to this point in the first place. What’s also interesting is how now even very fertile, poor, or conservative countries are reevaluating their laws….but it’s not like fetal personhood can’t be slowly universalized like gay marriage has been. I think if there are 40+ states or even 35+ states that make abortions illegal then there it would be codified into federal law. At that point, it would make a lot more sense because it would be easy-ish to enforce.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2194 on: July 06, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »

Issue polls are generally worthless , so my belief is the best way to get a good snapshot on what public opinion is by the results of the Kansas referendum and then extrapolate from there  .

Hmmm... that would make the Roe overturn roughly analogous to the repeal of Prohibition with the 21st Amendment.  IMO that's the closest plausible outcome to a pro-life total victory.  33 years later, the last statewide dry law was repealed and only 9 states have any counties that remain fully dry today. In 5 of the 9 states, it's just a handful of counties.  In this scenario, elective abortion would probably only remain legal in NYC, coastal California, the D.C. area, and parts of New England by the 2050's.

I think this is the most likely outcome if it isn't settled relatively quickly with a federal 12 or 15 week European style law.  You have to keep in mind that the education systems in states where it is banned or heavily restricted will undoubtedly teach students that it is a barbaric practice.  These states already have higher birthrates than the most pro-choice states  today and this will only be accentuated after the bans have been in effect for multiple years.  I don't think you can have a political issue this directly related to reproduction that's left up to a vote where the explicitly pro-reproduction side doesn't tend to win more of those votes over multiple generations?

So leaving it the the states should structurally favor the pro-life side in the medium-long run, particularly in states with the initiative/referendum.  Maybe not quite that dramatic of a pro-life victory as I originally depicted because the core NE states don't have the initiative/referendum or elected judges so it would be very difficult to get to the final step where it gets heavily restricted or devolves to the counties there.  
If this was kind of true, we would have never gotten to this point in the first place. What’s also interesting is how now even very fertile, poor, or conservative countries are reevaluating their laws….but it’s not like fetal personhood can’t be slowly universalized like gay marriage has been. I think if there are 40+ states or even 35+ states that make abortions illegal then there it would be codified into federal law. At that point, it would make a lot more sense because it would be easy-ish to enforce.

Why not?  It was more or less imposed top-down by educated elites on a supermajority of states.

Personhood is different and implies a whole slew of legal rights for the fetus/restrictions on the mother beyond the simple right to life.  Personhood amendments consistently lose a large percentage of abortion = killing voters even in very conservative states.  This is also why I would hesitate to compare the Kansas "let the legislature regulate" referendum to personhood amendments.  I don't know if it will pass, but I expect it to be closer than the fetal personhood votes in the Dakotas and Mississippi.   
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2195 on: July 06, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »

SCOTUS Justices ‘Prayed With’ Her — Then Cited Her Bosses to End Roe
At an evangelical victory party in front of the Supreme Court to celebrate the downfall of Roe v. Wade last week, a prominent Capitol Hill religious leader was caught on a hot mic making a bombshell claim: that she prays with sitting justices inside the high court. “We’re the only people who do that,” Peggy Nienaber said.

This disclosure was a serious matter on its own terms, but it also suggested a major conflict of interest. Nienaber’s ministry’s umbrella organization, Liberty Counsel, frequently brings lawsuits before the Supreme Court. In fact, the conservative majority in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health, which ended nearly 50 years of federal abortion rights, cited an amicus brief authored by Liberty Counsel in its ruling.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2196 on: July 06, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »

At an evangelical victory party in front of the Supreme Court to celebrate the downfall of Roe v. Wade last week, a prominent Capitol Hill religious leader was caught on a hot mic making a bombshell claim: that she prays with sitting justices inside the high court. “We’re the only people who do that,” Peggy Nienaber said.

This disclosure was a serious matter on its own terms, but it also suggested a major conflict of interest. Nienaber’s ministry’s umbrella organization, Liberty Counsel, frequently brings lawsuits before the Supreme Court. In fact, the conservative majority in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health, which ended nearly 50 years of federal abortion rights, cited an amicus brief authored by Liberty Counsel in its ruling.
So they are a Guardian Council.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2197 on: July 06, 2022, 01:36:39 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 01:49:46 PM by Person Man »

Why not?  It was more or less imposed top-down by educated elites on a supermajority of states.

Personhood is different and implies a whole slew of legal rights for the fetus/restrictions on the mother beyond the simple right to life.  Personhood amendments consistently lose a large percentage of abortion = killing voters even in very conservative states.  This is also why I would hesitate to compare the Kansas "let the legislature regulate" referendum to personhood amendments.  I don't know if it will pass, but I expect it to be closer than the fetal personhood votes in the Dakotas and Mississippi.    

What I am trying to say is that just because a trait is dominant in the reproducing population doesn’t necessarily mean it will become the dominant trait in society. You do have a point about there being a DARE-style War on Abortion in Red States, but it didn’t really work with drugs. It was obvious propaganda back then and it will probably be obvious propaganda now.

By “obvious propaganda”, I meant that you will believe that marijuana or sex will kill you or you will go to jail for it but only until you are old enough to not believe everything you are told.

DARE style programs with abortion. That will be interesting to see. I think I made or try to make a thread about it. The only taker was either a Spanish or Portuguese poster who said that their experience wouldn’t be analogous because it was under a fascist regime.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2198 on: July 06, 2022, 03:02:26 PM »

So they are a Guardian Council.

Members of the Guardian Council only serve six-year terms, with half the members replaced every three years.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2199 on: July 06, 2022, 03:29:20 PM »

There is a part of me that refuses to believe those stories for some reason. Don't most, if not all states have exceptions for those kinds of things? A stillborn baby seems like probably the 2nd most obvious exception to include other than "risk to the mother's health"; and it's an exception where there is absolutely no argument against it whatsoever

I will not discuss the reality of the case since it's real, but like yikes. That's either some awfully written legislation, some overly cautious (albeit for understandable reasons) doctors or both.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies